->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:19 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Line getting tangled
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi All,

teething problems galore ... pls help
I am using a penn slammer 560 and 20lb braid (spiderwire) for spinning purpose. however the line is getting tangled in the due course from the spool.
what is it that i am not doing right?? am i closing the bail arm a tad too late because of which the braid is wound loose initially in the spool and that is leading to the tangling over 15/20 casts or is it something else. when is the right time to close the bail arm .
this has happened 2/3 times. and yes there are a couple of joints/knots too in the line. should i do away with those ???

any help in this will be appreciated.

samit mukherjee
mumbai

Post subject: Re: Line getting tangled
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
yes there are a couple of joints/knots too in the line. should i do away with those ???

hi samit,

please remove the knots as it may be one the the reason for the "one that got away" story and yes i think you hold ur line tightly before reeling it in order to set it properly on ur spool. well i am not too sure for this

regards,
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

I was using mono lines and i had a lot of these problems. Now i am into braid and these problems are not there. Maybe for the joints , the lines are getting tangled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:28 pm 
Fishaholic

What lure weight are you casting with the set up that you have?

Usually, if the lure weight is too light, the braid does not spool tightly upon retrieve and will cause these problems.

There is also the phenomenon called "wind knot" with braided line and is,
unfortunately, something one has to live with if using braid.

Try casting out a really heavy metal lure (40-60 gms.) and then wind in the braid - I find that this brings the line under tension and resolves the
problem.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Tangling can occur because of twisting in the line which is the inherent nature of spinning reels. Every time when the line is laid on the spinning real a twist is formed. The twist multiplies because of many reason such as reeling againg drag etc.. The main reason can be the swivel at the end not working properly. Just remove all the line completely and put it in a straing line in water or tie one end to a swivel and remove all the twist and respool the line. When respooling a braid do it under some morderate drag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:09 pm 
Fishaholic

The first rule is that do not try to cast too far. The second is do not over spool your reel. Observe these and the valuable suggestions others have given and you will never face this problem.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:10 pm 
Fishaholic

@manish, apoo, venkat thanks i will incorporate the suggestions. i am pretty sure that this problem will be eliminated.

@kingfish i am using 12+cms halco, storm lures. i think i am trying to cast too far(as pointed by alibhai) because of which the wind knot might be coming into play.

appreciate the suggestions.

thanks a ton.

samit mukherjee
mumbai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:30 am 
Fishaholic

Samit,

I am just going to repeat most of what's been already told.

1. Make sure that you have not spooled your reel till the lip

2. If you are using power pro, then 20 lb line on a slammer 560 is pretty light. Go heavy ....

3. Use a nice spro swivel to connect your braid to your leader

4. Thumb the spool at the end of the cast and manually close the bail. This eliminates a lot of slack

5. If you are using top water lure lures and such that does not have a tight resistance in the water, you can pinch the line with one hand while reeling in with the other. Be careful not to hurt yourself when a fish strikes and runs. Wear a glove if you are comfortable with that.

6. Last thing to look into is the spool taper:
If the line is wound in such a way that it is tapered toward the top of the spool, then that could the issue. But I doubt that this is the case with a Penn Slammer. If this is the case, then you can use some washers under the spool and have more line at the tip of the spool and slightly tapered toward the bottom. This will eliminate wind knots to a great extent. I personally prefer an even line lay though, as it looks neat, casts far and holds more line.

Cheers,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

thanks maruthu,
nicely put. reel is not fully spooled. your suggestions will be incorporated and i am sure the problem will not occur.

thanks everyone for your guidance will let all you guys know after a couple of sessions.

samit mukherjee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 pm 

Some good advice here samitm http://www.veals.co.uk/products/veals_v ... ith-braid/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:17 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree that you are fishing a bit light. Go with a heavier breaking strain and if it seems like overkill, try thinking of matching the diameter of the mono that you are replacing rather than the breaking strain. Don't over fill the spool. Feather he line as the lure nears it's target by allowing it to brush past your extended index finger as it leaves the spool. Immediatly after closing the bail, lift the rod to tighten the line and avoid loops as you start to wind.

Oh, and get rid of those knots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:34 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks britangler....
ken .. done as suggested thanks mate!

samit