->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:29 pm 
Enlightened

fish like catfish usually swallow the hook and i find it quite difficult to remove them before the release..can someone help me in making the above easier... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Cut head ....take out hook ... ... fillet fish ... apply salt and pepper .... "release " in hot oil in frying pan ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:07 pm 
Enlightened

Hey...that is a pretty easy and 'delicious' way.... :twisted: [smilie=thatworks.gif]

Cheers
Sreekanth Soman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:00 am 
Fishaholic

ironsimon wrote:
fish like catfish usually swallow the hook and i find it quite difficult to remove them before the release..can someone help me in making the above easier... :(

If the hook is lodged too deep down, there is not much you can do than go Fred's way, otherwise a good disgorger should work well.
Using larger hooks and bait usually keep nuisance fish away(that's the way i go) unless specifically fishing for smaller species.
Problem with catfish is they will take any size hook, and any bait, but atleast with a bigger hook, it can be removed more easlily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:52 pm 
Enlightened

Take a look at the subject "catch and release" under general off topic on the forum. If it is the fish you are looking to safe, they usually say cut the line and let the hook remain. The hook is supposed to rust and fall off with time....but if its the hook you want to save then its Fred's way :D
Belli

Post subject: Circle Hooks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Circle hooks at 99% of the time prevent gut hooking and also increase the hook up rates, but if you like setting the hook then they are not the hooks to look after. The other way to prevent gut hooking will be to set the hook immediately, ie. before the fish swallows the bait.

LF