->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:10 am 
Fishaholic

Hi all

I have prepared my own feeder rig with the help of ali bhai. It's is now on R&D. used it around 4 to 5 times i saw some great amount of feeding with several times the line getting tight, but no hook ups till now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

please share your comment

regards,
Manish

Last edited by manishhgin on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Looks to be a semi fixed bolt rig designed for fish that are inhaling the baits quite gently.
If you're failing to hook up, my inclination would be to increase the amount of lead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm 
Fishaholic

guys,

Prepared a pop-up rig as i was getiing no hook ups in ground setup....please do comment.

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Manish adding those lead weight is a very smart move as ken suggested. I think you should not have such a big float next to you pop up hook just use small Thermocol or cork balls instead. you can even make them crudely no need to be perfectly smooth also please use your split weight in such a way that your pop up bait hook is floating freely just above your baited rig. Fish like Katla ,high-breds ,Rahu, suck on the cloud created by the rig and we get hook up when the pop up hook gets into their mouth at that time.

As ali said you have o keep on doing experiment with all variables till you get a perfectly balance feeder and bro it will take some time take it from me :D :D all the best with your quest [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks rajat bhai.....will make the changes accordingly and post the picture again.

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Beside the suggestions of Rajat, do not use two hooks. One setup is enough to catch a fish. :P

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:05 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks ali bhai.......will remove the second one with ground setup...

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Found this link somewhere in the forum

http://www.google.com/search?q=carp%20j ... nd&tbm=vid

Hope this help many deserving anglers :P

Regards
Arish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:06 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree with Ali. one hook is enough and you are generally better off with a boyant bait (like breadflake) than with trying to add boyancy to heavier baits.

Edited: Dodgy internet cafe keyboard !

Last edited by Ken L on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:11 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks a lot ken.... :-)

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:41 pm 
Fishaholic

I would consider checking the bait - should sit on top of the hook, check length of hair......
the images tell that the bait placement vs hook are off!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:02 pm 
Fishaholic

yes sam you are right now i have changed the setup and it's on R& D. thanks a lot

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:41 am 
Fishaholic

guys,

I have removed the second hook and shorten the hooklenght to around 3 inches. I am using this rig with a bouyant bait (white flakes of bread soaked in water) for pop-up. please correct me if i am going wrong anywhere

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:13 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

A good way of making a pop up in kneading bread and make your boilies and then microwave them. They will float!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks sam.......u answered my question

but in my place fishes are not friendly with boilies

cheers
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:43 pm 
Fishaholic

replace boilie with a spring - paste rig and use your wheat dough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:36 pm 
Enlightened

@manish

what is that u have covered the refill with ,is it for adding extra weight?

Post subject: hi There
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:51 pm 
Enlightened

things look fine ... using the weight help's traveling long distance ..... but my question to you guys is .....doesn't your stuff get stuck in obstructions in between like tree's and root under water .... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:14 pm 
Enlightened

we hyderabadis here use the same feeder rig but with treble hooks,my fear for using single hook is ,when the fish is hooked it just gets hooked in its lip and the chances of tearing of lip and loss of fish are more.

if we add more weight in the above feeder ,more weight on the lip of hooked fish,hence chances of tearing the lip are more...

m i correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 pm 
Fishaholic

basharath wrote:
we hyderabadis here use the same feeder rig but with treble hooks,my fear for using single hook is ,when the fish is hooked it just gets hooked in its lip and the chances of tearing of lip and loss of fish are more.

if we add more weight in the above feeder ,more weight on the lip of hooked fish,hence chances of tearing the lip are more...

m i correct?

Your fear is not correct. If you see the design of feeder, you will observe that the swill is semi fixed to a rubber tube and the moment fish start running, the pull detach the swill from the feeder.

Further, using a treble hook is not considered sporting in carp fishing circle and to say that catching a big fish on single hooks is not possible, is not correct.

Here is a catla, i landed last week by a single size 6 hook without any problem.

There are many myths and wrong practices amongst us anglers but with the advent of new methods and refined techniques, we can easily land good fishes by using sporting and fish safe methods.

Regards,

Ali. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:07 pm 
Enlightened

Ali Bhai,
i envy you ....... amazing ...... no word to say .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:27 pm 
Enlightened

thanks ali bhai, great catch i have seen ur other catches on "mission impossible"which are caught on this rig...

my query is ,till what force should i set the drag and when to allow the fish to run and when to reel in....as i think this will be very important as the fish is hooked on its lip....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali,

Thats one fantastic catla.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:20 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree with Ali bhai points of view

Quote:
with the advent of new methods and refined techniques, we can easily land good fishes by using sporting and fish safe methods.

without the use of treble hook we can still catch the fish and there is no fear of losing. I have seen treble hooks are causing big damage to lip which weaken the strength of fish, and you will miss the excitement of fight![/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Manish,
Keep it up, keep on trying, experimenting and you shall be rewarded with many big fish. You have a great coach (Alibhai) and you are making a very good use of the privilege of having a good master...
Keep up your will to learn. :D
Regards,
Sanjay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:09 am 
Fishaholic

sanjay ....thanks a lot i am still experimenting on this new technique...update will posted time 2 time

ali bhai.......congrats for the beautiful catla.....it's awesome :D

my method feeder is successful in hooking fish at every cast but i am loosing fish due to lack of technique. I mean i am still finding it difficult to play the fish till it comes out.

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:57 am 
Enlightened

ali bhai wil u plz tel us the technique to play the fish nad land it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:00 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:

m i correct?

OK, a few observations:

Firstly, the whole point of the rig is that the fish hooks itself against the weight of the feeder when it bolts off after feeling the resistance (Hence "Bolt rig") and by spreading the weight of the feeder over the points of three hooks instead of just one, you dramatically reduce the amount of force on each point and greatly reduce your chances of the hook penetrating far enough to prevent ejection before you can strike.

Secondly, if a fish gets away with a single hook in it's mouth, it has a good chance of survival - particularly if it's barbless. If the hook is a treble, it's dead - and you can't catch it another day.

Finally, with the best will in the world, trebles do more damage to fish than singles. On balanced tackle, hooks very rarely tear fishes mouths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:03 pm 
Enlightened

what should be the approxmate weight of feeder to act as a bolt rig,,and what is the best thing and the way to be attached to the hair rig in order to make it pop up...i made two feeder rigs but lagging in the above mentioned tinngs for it to complete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:31 pm 
Fishaholic

It depends what you're fishing for and the size and sharpness of your hooks.
It's difficult to talk hook sizes on an international forum because no two contries seem to use the same sizing system.
Generally, you need enough weight (or resistance - it also works with floating feeders) to at least prick the fish when it bolts off after feeling the weight so that the hook isn't ejected before you can strike.
In Europe, you have guys using these sorts of rigs with as little as an ounce of lead when using small baits and hooks for species like roach and bream but must carp anglers will use 3 ounces or more along with heavier tackle and bigger hooks. Obviously the effective weight is greater if there is still bait attatched to the feeder.

Last edited by Ken L on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:10 am 
Enlightened

thanks for the info dear ,can you suggest some thing for the pop up,..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:14 pm 
Fishaholic

It's getting terribly informal here.
I've gone from being called "Sir" with disconcerting and undeserved regularity to being called "Dear".
Whatever next ?

As for popups, the worlds simplest popup is a chunk of bread crust or flake. I thought bread was hard to find in India but of course it can be had from virtually any corner barji stall in Maharashtra or Goa. Presumably in other areas too.
Failing that, make yourself up some dough with flour, egg, yeast, any flavourings or colours you fancy and a little water. Let it rise just like you would with bread, knock it back and separate yourself off enough for a days baits and fridge or freeze the rest. Roll it into little balls. Give them a minute or two to rise and then drop them one at a time into boiling water and skim them off as soon as they have had about 20 seconds cooking time.
For tougher baits, you'll have to go down the microwave route.

Edit: Another option that I've just thought of is popcorn. This is used a lot in the US when fishing packbaits for carp and buffalo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:33 pm 
Enlightened

thank you sir....