->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:25 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Swivel size question.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:15 pm 
Fishaholic

On the Cabelas site, the Crane style swivels are denoted by sizes such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 & 12 but what lengths do these sizes correspond to in inches or mm?

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:19 am 
Fishaholic

To answer my own question, the lengths of the respective swivel sizes are:

Size 1: 0.90"
Size 3: 0.67"
Size 5: 0.65"
Size 7: 0.58"
Size 10: 0.51"
Size 12: 0.50"

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:48 pm 
Fishaholic

It is worthwhile pointing out that as with hooks, the system for identifying the size of swivels might be universal but the size of swivel that relates to a stated size definatly isn't - I hope that makes sence !

I've had size 24 swivels from Singapore that have been bigger than size 14 swivels bought here in the UK.

The watchword has to be CHECK - especially if you are about to embark start making expensice bulk imports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:24 am 
Fishaholic

[quote="Ken L"]I hope that makes sence![/ quote]

Had to read it twice. :wink:

Yes, what you say is correct.

Incidentally, are there any online tackle shops in Singapore or Malaysia you could recommend?

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam.

I buy tackle in Singapore whenever I'm in the region and there is a cluster of highly competetative shops in the area arround the juction of Beach Road and Arab Street where you can usually find something interesting.
Hock Ann Sports in particular can usually be relied upon for a bargain because they sell a lot of last years Shimano gear at bargain basement prices.

Unfortunatly, although a couple of Singaporean compainies are present on the net, as far as I can tell, the only selling that they do is via e-bay.

When I last had a chat with the guys in a couple of shops that I use frequently, they were telling me that there was some problem with the bank clearing system in Singapore that prevented them from setting up a nice profitable mail order business.

Looks like you'll have to stick with picking up gear on your travels or ordering it in from abroad.
Personally, if I'm ordering from the states, I use the free US delivery offered by companies like Cabelas and have stuff sent to a friend in the US who I then ask to repackage it and post it on to me as a "gift".
This both dramatically reduces postage costs (40% in the case of Cabelas) and usually allows me to avoid UK taxes of 17.5%.

Your alternative is to track down the shops in India and get them to let you have a look through their supliers catalogues. They are there - I know of three or four tackle shops in Goa alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Ken,

Great to have you on board. I went through your posts about fishing in India on the WSF forum and am very impressed!

I'd love to join you on your next trip to India.

Could you let me have the contact details of the tackle shops in Goa. I have seen four tackle shops in Madras but none of them have quality stuff except for some Halco lures. I did buy a nice Halco laser pro 160 and a Yo-zuri crystal minnow from there.

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm 
Fishaholic

"Could you let me have the contact details of the tackle shops in Goa"

No problems mate. I'm at work at the moment but I'll try to dig out addresses or a decent description of where they are when I get home.

BTW. Nice croc photo. Where did you get that from then ? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Personally, if I'm ordering from the states, I use the free US delivery offered by companies like Cabelas and have stuff sent to a friend in the US.

Ken,

That's a new one. I have used your method but have always paid U.S. postage. :roll: Will take another look at the Cabelas site.

Thanks for the other details as well.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:42 pm 
Fishaholic

"Could you let me have the contact details of the tackle shops in Goa."

OK but I'm going to stick this as a separate thread because it's information that a lot of people will find usefull and it's not going to be easy to find on a thread about swivel sizes.