->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Traditional Baits
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:54 am 

I've seen interesting baits and lures used but here we use a lot of natural stuff other than plugs and lures... Some of the traditional baits we regularly use..(I'm strictly talking about River Fishing)

1. Bundia(Bhujia Bundia) Mix it with red food color and you're good to go with all kinds of fish.
2. Wild Fruits-Small in size, tedious to collect but good for big fish(1 kg plus).
3. Insects- Ranging from termites, grasshoppers to ants and flies. Termites are the best for Ropeway fishing.

Please share if anybody else have any other traditional baits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi treibor!!!!!

i use chilla (moss) for fly fishing in rivers or dams (it is a very good bait in flowing water) for big fish

thanks for sharing :)

regards
manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Moss stinks [smilie=mong.gif]

Worms and prawns are also well suited in running water such as rivers and canals!

Good topic treibor :P

Last edited by arish on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Arish I m talking about the green moss and greenish yellow( it does not stink at all) sorry it's my mistake i should have mentioned it earlier

Well more thing is jhinga (i don't know the english name)

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Its ok Manish I understand!

and one more is frog!

Regard
Arish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:57 am 

@Manish

Please Elaborate how u use it... I can't picture the moss not coming off the hook.... lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi treibor!!!!!

i use to find green moss in flowing shallow water. it is found mostly on the banks of river or canal....the green moss we find in nagpur is usually 1 to 3 cms long.

method of putting it to hook is very simple......just circle(fold)it on the line above the eye of the hook and fix the remaining portion on the hook.

i searched google for the info, but unfortunately did not find any good results.

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:31 am 

Hi Could u post pictures of these bait items
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Here, I saw locals using an Algae called (they jhaila) to catch masheer, they use it just like fly fishing but with mono lines.

Post subject: Re: Traditional Baits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:55 pm 
Fishaholic

treibor wrote:
I've seen interesting baits and lures used but here we use a lot of natural stuff other than plugs and lures... Some of the traditional baits we regularly use..(I'm strictly talking about River Fishing)

1. Bundia(Bhujia Bundia) Mix it with red food color and you're good to go with all kinds of fish.
2. Wild Fruits-Small in size, tedious to collect but good for big fish(1 kg plus).
3. Insects- Ranging from termites, grasshoppers to ants and flies. Termites are the best for Ropeway fishing.

Please share if anybody else have any other traditional baits.

Thanks for asking to share.... since I'm new and since this thread hasn't got many replies I can share some... I can't be sure of the hit rates but I have faith they do work.

Flours, most of them or a mix of all or a few are good. It depends on how frequently one fishes and how frequently at a specific spot. One very nice friend from here once mentioned its not the quality or the quantity its what they get used to feeding on... Flours work.

Earthworms are the most tried and tested bait. Sometimes hard to find and sometimes when found very skinny and puny to notice, I've been faced with this problem for sometime since I've taken to the sport again found worms only twice and the first time was the charm the worms were nice and fat and I got my bite and fish, the second time I don't know what happened! It was a funny experience. None the less I did have a little experience in wormiculture which definitely will help. Its a process where you culture worms! If you have some land and can make a decomposition pit then even better your worms will grow bigger very fast and will also help in decomposing the soil which is going to become priceless after sometime, considering everyone has money but not as much source for food.

Its quite a write up so we'll leave the detailed decomposition pit as we're more concerned with worms and some of us live in flats.

For those who have land a decomposition pit is very easy to make, just separate your waste, biodegradable form non biodegradable and accumulate it on a spot on your land cover it with lots of debris which is moist grass and all leaves etc which keep falling. once all waste is completely covered with grass and leaves throw lots of water on it and let it stay for a month or 2, you will be surprised most of this waste turns into good potent soil which can also be used as a fertilized manure for your other plans and soil.

For worms.... First get a big pot which has a hole at the bottom for ventilation, most pots do. this is very essential. Now make a layer of rocks or broken bricks, make sure its uneven with lots of spaces between them, this layer can take up 1/4th of the pots size. now find some soild and throw some on, not too much just enough to seep into the spaces of the top rocks, be careful not to put too much and seal all the spaces, on this mud, find fresh cowdung and make a small 1/2 inch layer on this layer place worms 10 worms of any size are good. on those worms put some more cowdung, on that cowdung put lots of mud, all whats in the pot should take up 3/4th of the space, top up the pot with lots of grass and debris. and throw in some water so all the leaves and grass remain moist.

Logic is they will reproduce! cowdung is like cerelac or baby food for baby worms! keep the moisture on every evening throw some more water on the debris don't let it dry out. after 30 days you open the whole thing and you'll see many big sized worms which can be used for fishing or can be thrown into the decomposition pits. further more! if you have plants then before you remove everything just throw in quite some water for it to pass through the whole at the bottom and collect the water! this water is wormi wash which acts as a fertilizer and pesticide for all plants! so you can mix it up with some water and dilute it a bit and spray them on your plants!

Worms and flour are the best baits possible, beyond this there are recipies and masalas and what not! but worms are definitely one of the best baits most fisherman/anglers swear by! the bigger and juicier they are the more attracted the fish are.

Hoping this info helps with not only fishing but gardening and a little bit of environmental conservation too!

Regards,

Post subject: Good stuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:50 am 
Enlightened

Hi Omesh,

Thanks for the very valuable inputs on wormiculture.. We had tried doing the same without the cowdung and forgot to moisten the mud and after few days there were no earth worms in the tub.

Post subject: Re: Good stuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:47 am 
Fishaholic

vijay_krishna wrote:
Hi Omesh,

Thanks for the very valuable inputs on wormiculture.. We had tried doing the same without the cowdung and forgot to moisten the mud and after few days there were no earth worms in the tub.

like i said these are the 2 most important things to keep em alive no cowdung might still work but no moisture and your killing your worms.

You mentioned tub so make sure there is a hole at the bottom too no ventilation will also kill em.

Try it again, you'll be surprised with the numbers and sizes of worms in just a little more than a fortnight!

Thanks for appreciating the inputs, hopefully it helps in future experiments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:59 pm 

Interesting, and nice to know, but luckily I am from from a place where earthworms are abundant, so never needed so much hard work.
There are a few other baits we use in bengal though, and most popular of them are Ant Eggs, Hornet's larvae, Leeches, Grubs, and maggots. Beside Insects, Snails or Clamps also are a good option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:42 am 
Fishaholic

If you're feeling brave then wasp grubs make a great bait.

Other traditional (but not natural) baits in Europe include bread and cheese or a paste made by moulding the two together. There's hardly a fish that swims in freshwater that's never been caught on cheese so for those of you from towns large enough to be on the Amul distribution network, it's a great standby that can simply be grabbed from the fridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
If you're feeling brave then wasp grubs make a great bait.

Other traditional (but not natural) baits in Europe include bread and cheese or a paste made by moulding the two together. There's hardly a fish that swims in freshwater that's never been caught on cheese so for those of you from towns large enough to be on the Amul distribution network, it's a great standby that can simply be grabbed from the fridge.

WASP! I have seen this movie of these killer wasps where everyone entering a photo lab get killed because the killer sends killer wasps through the vents.... Been super scared since then....

However never knew cheese and bread could make good bait and are easily available, Thanks!, will try cheese and bread the next time. Best part is even if there are no fish it makes good breakfast or an evening snack...

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:20 am 
Fishaholic

manishhgin wrote:
Hi treibor!!!!!

i use chilla (moss) for fly fishing in rivers or dams (it is a very good bait in flowing water) for big fish

thanks for sharing :)

regards
manish

Sup guys,

You all have mentioned good baits here... just adding my 2 cents to the equation:

Moss: Its actually filamentous algae and most fish big and small love it. Commenly called 'kai' in Northern India. I use it for grass carp. Also taken a lot of Kalonch on it.

Jhinga: A fresh water shrimp. Common Ghost Shrimp... Used to be in Dumduma lake in Gurgaon by the ton. Use it for Catfish

Earth Worms: The humble worm... its BRILLIANT! But in season! The best part about using worms is you don't know whats gonna bite cause everything eats worms! yuck!

There are as many baits out there as there is vegetation & varied insect life around the water body being fished. I say try them all. You just have to know what the fish are feeding on!

Cheers,
IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:36 pm 
Enlightened

Hey guys,

Can anybody post a picture of the moss. I want to be clear coz i am confused with the algeae that grows in the water or is it like a jelly kind of substance which is found on the banks of lakes floating....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:25 pm 
Fishaholic

vijay_krishna wrote:
Hey guys,

Can anybody post a picture of the moss. I want to be clear coz i am confused with the algeae that grows in the water or is it like a jelly kind of substance which is found on the banks of lakes floating....

Google in "String algae" you'll get the images... all copyright!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm 
Enlightened

Starting with Teribor - great post ... very useful...

Omesh ... your the MAN ...thats a good amount of info you've gathered and shared ...appreciate your comment which would help many guys on the forum..

Nevertheless - Ken - thats a good one "cheese"...assume many have not tried it ....though i personally will give it a try this weekend.

Ok i've got one from my end - Its called Earth Baby which i normally use for catfish.... these work really well ( due to lack of Lakes in Bangalore we are forced to fish cats...so i have been trying all kinds of stuff, though found this inscet "THE Best". finding this is diffucult as they are very shy inscets, normally heard at night ( kreeeek kreeek) but diffucult to spot one....though if you look for them in (poultry manure,Cow dung manure ) fields where hay is satcked...you will sure find them.... this should work for other big fish to according to me.
for pic Google - "Earth baby insect" - 1st pic...hope this helps

Regards
Deepak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Deepak!

Was born and raised in Bangalore! hoping to pay a visit there sometime soon. Will send you a pm then. Hope to catch up for some fishing with you and other anglers from the city.

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:15 am 
Fishaholic

We call it Silk weed :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:50 pm 
Fishaholic

whatever you use, dont forget to spit on it :idea: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:24 am 
Fishaholic

dr aamir bhavnagri wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:53 am 
Fishaholic

dr aamir bhavnagri wrote:

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Anytime
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:29 am 
Enlightened

Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
Thanks Deepak!

Was born and raised in Bangalore! hoping to pay a visit there sometime soon. Will send you a pm then. Hope to catch up for some fishing with you and other anglers from the city.

Regards,

Sure bro your welcome anytime