->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Braid
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi! Guys.
Hope all had a wonderfull Start this Year. I need some suggestions on which Lbs test i should i use when spinning for barra. To be precice the minimum lbs test adviceable for spinning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:47 pm 
Fishaholic

If you are fishing from the shore then try a 15 lb line. if it is a rocky area then use a 20 - 25 lb line (so that the line can take up certain abrasion while landing). But in either case make sure your drag is not too tight. 5 lb drag would be alright. It also depends on the size of the fish you hook onto.

Another small piece of advise...........reel in your plug very slowly and never too fast. Barramundi's are ambush predators and will hit your plug from bottom.

Happy barra hunting.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Dont forget to use mono leader of 30-40 lbs. The reason being when you are spinning for barra you cannot stop the grouper from grabbing your lure :) In my honest opinion. You can use 3 meters as well as 2 feet. Try both and see what you are comfortable with.

Cheers.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:11 am 
Fishaholic

my .02. thirty lb test is the lowest if rocks abound. also the leader has to be as dezz said more than 2 ft. i lost a big fish and a tilsan lure this week end.keep drag tight 10 lbs at least in my opinion. first u bulldoze the fish away from the rocks and then play it down.

Last edited by Ace_doc on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 am 
Fishaholic

It all depends on where you are spinning, if its a sandy mouth of an estuary and casting distance is required, go with 10 LB braid, if fishing from rocks, 30 LB with 40-50 lb mono shock leader is good enough. And as Ravi said bring your lure very slow for barra's.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:46 am 
Fishaholic

I am with Ravi on this one, so I would say, go with something in the middle 20lb, the thing about good braid is the dia is small and you will not get "line memory" so no twists. The thin dia will allow you to cast distances where mono of the same breaking strain would not allow you to.

The problem with using long leaders is it will hamper your casting if you are joining them with a swivel and it will damage your tip guide because you will knock the tip guide with the swivel while fishing. My personal opinion is that long leaders for Barra are an unnecessary over kill, I use very long leaders when fishing over reefs for GT. You can use long leaders and join them to your braid with knots to get over this problem, but I do not trust braid and mono knots however here's one which works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clHNRQ2drBg

The reason I used to use long leaders for Barra and Ravas in the past was more as a “shock leader” because I wanted to use mono of a thin diameter to cast further and I did not trust the light mono to take the pressure of a heavy spoon when casting.

Last edited by Bobby on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:13 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks all you guys for the help .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys !
Has any one used FluoroBraid for spinning. Any previews please.