->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:40 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi frends, nowadays im curious about long cast for carp fishing, I think it can result in a big size carp from lakes where i fish. :idea:

Im using Shakespeare Ugly stik 10feet/Diawa emcast surf spinning reel or Cabelas salt striker reels 5000 size /14# line/1.5 Oz weights, Used lots of techniques from youtube but the max cast is around 70-80 yards. :evil:

Heard lots of about the carp rods that can cast above 100 or even they claim 160 yards. Anyone having an experience of carp rods?, which brand, size?
I also heard, using surf rods for carp fishing, what u guyz think?

Mobeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mobeen

I think you can use a surf rod for Carp. But if you are looking for distance you can try a conventional like a Penn 525 mag or Abu 5500 / 6500.

Second hand reels can be bought from auction sites. These reels on a cheap surf rod like Daiwa Sealine will give you the distance you are aiming for.

But learning to cast these monsters is another thing, be prepared for many birds nest in the beginning.

Tight Lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 pm 
Fishaholic

There's lots of factors that will affect casting distance.
Optimal rod length would be around 4m but it will need to have the right taper, recovery speed and ringing for you to really punch a bait out.
For reels, a larger model with a tapered spool will allow line to peel off with minimum resistance - have a look at some of the "Big pit reels" designed for distance carp fishing in Europe.
Reel spools need to be loaded correctly as an underfilled spool will dramatically cut casting distance.
Thin lines will cast much further than thick ones. Obviously, the ability to land a big fish and survive snags/abraision has to be weighed up but there's no getting away from the fact that fine lines cast further.
Weight. The lead isn't just there to hold the bait on the botom, iy needs to be heavy enough to fully compress the rod on casting and to overcome the lines friction on the rod rings and air once it is flying.
Rigs - some rigs cast further than others due to simple air resistance.
Technique - all the tackle in the world won't generate distance unless you have good casting technique.

I have to say that the most obvious weak link in the outfit that you describe is the rod. Ugly Sticks may be fine fishing tools and as tough as they come but they are a heavy, slow actioned bend of glass and carbon and that will limit casting distance.

If distance with the sort of gear appropriate to carp fishing is really necessary where you're fishing (The fish are in close more often than people realise) then I suggest that you look at some of the European web articles on long range carp fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:33 am 
Fishaholic

@kashaif, Sealine is the only affordable option i saw on my favorite web shop, do u think sealine will handle 2-5 oz weights and feeders.
just got a Chinese 14 feet 3 pc rod from local market, i used it with Diawa Emcast sports, its a surf reel with reverse tapered large spool, the rod is casting around 120 yards, but its too heavy setup, have to get mega-mass with it too :D

Ken L, the euro rods/reels are too expensive if i add freight duty with it that why i was in search of an affordable carp rod around $100

Thanks all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Mobeen. Not sure if by quoting a price in dollars, you are implying that you know folks in the US who can bring a rod over for you.
If that is the case then I can tell you that I know that a lot of US carp anglers are big fans of the Cabela's European Predator Spinning Rod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:58 am 
Fishaholic

Hi mobeen

Yes i am using a Sealine myself, i cast cut or whole bait with a 4 oz sinker.

it handles it perfectly. But i really dont like using a spinning reel if you are after distance casting. Tapered spool helps but it cant match a conventional.
Switching to a conventional is another issue, you have to learn casting once again but with patience and persistence it pays off. You will never look back.

but i will recommend that you start with a conventional which has level wind. level wind is good for beginners as you dont have to worry about winding the tread evenly during retrieve.

Choice is yours, just go with whats comfortable to you.

tight Lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

predator is 11 feet rod and have good reviews.
Diawa sealine 13 feet 3 pcs seems to be better option
@kashaif, which size of sealine are u using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

I am using the 11 feet casting rod, Lure Weight range 2-8 oz. Bought from US. I paid USD 70.00 freight charges for the rod and reel.