->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:24 am 
Fishaholic

Hi guys, first of all thank you pros for the wonderful help that you guys provie as advice and guidance to this wonderful sport for us budding anglers. However trivial the question is you guys are always there to help me. Thanks again

Now to my query, i recently bought a braided line 201b, 0.16mm, 100m the line dia is a bit too small (0.16 mm) would this line be able to cast and handle heavy lures like the halco laser pro 160 or a metal spoon of 28gms, i am bit skeptical about this (fear of line breakage).

I am fishing into an esutary from land, basically targetting mjs...

Can i fold & twist the line in half and make it a bit more stronger ?. If this is okay then i would need some advice on some glue/paste like material to keep the two strands together....

My rod and reel specifications are
Rod
Abu Garcia Cardinal bruiser combo-BRS82MH
8' MH Spinning
1-5 oz lure,10-25 lb line

Reel-BR40B
Lbs/Yrds
18/215 ,20/170,30/120
mm/m
0.45/195,0.50/155,0.60/110

Thanks in advance,....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

I personally would choose the 30lb or 40 lb for sea fishing. However your question of whether the 20 lb line would be able to hold on to the laser pro 160 or 28 gms spoons.

Maximum weight for casting - is the poundage of the line remove a zero from the end and convert to oz.

Example : 10lb line - 1oz (28gm) lure, 20lb line - 2oz (56gm) lure.

Therefore you would be able to cast both the laser pro 160 (30gm) and 28 gm spoon with 20 lb line.

Use a good leader of 40lb and you would be good to go.

Chris

Last edited by Christopher Rodrick on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

You can tie a bimini twist on the braid and join it to a 24" fluoro carbon 40lb leader. Attach the leader to your lure.google for knots joining braid to fluoro and also for bimini for tying instructions. If you find the bimini too complicated just double the braid and tie an overhead knot ( you may put the doubled tag end of the braid three or four times through the over head knot before tightning it . Please lubricate the knot with saliva before pulling the knot tight.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Good explanation my Chris as well as Jeen. Use a 40 lbs flouro carbon or a mono leader. The length I prefer to use is a couple feet longer then your rod length so that your guides dont take immediate beating when you cast with might.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Look, if you tie the braid directly to either lure, it will not work as eventually the lures will break off irrespective of what knot you tie or how many times you glue the braid together - braid does not stretch to cushion the shock of casting a heavy lure on a light line.

I have lost too many lures when I started to experiment with braid when it first appeared on the angling scene some years ago in Australia, due to the above reason.

Similarly, fluorocarbon has negligible stretch and my experience is that your lures will again fly off into the horizon if you use it as a leader.

I find that I have to use monofilament leaders with the heavier lures because of its ability to "give" under shock of casting.

To tie braid to monofilament - here you have too many choices.

The one's I use are both Aussie knots (the Knaelt ?? and the Ducknose knot -pls google these).

Regards,

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you all for your advice.
@ Christopher - Interesting piece of calculation, very useful also..these are the pieces that really makes these posts a treasure.

@ Jeen - I was planning to use a 40lb mono, since the place here is a bit rocky. will try the bimni on that one.

@ Dezz- just as u told i was planning to use a cheap 40lb mono leader.

@kingfish - King, i was skeptical about the dia of the line being too thin (0.16 mm) so i thought of folding the entire length of the line in half and glue those tougether to increase the dia of the line (probably the strength also). would u guys advice that ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 pm 
Fishaholic

The correct spelling is the KANEIT KNOT.

According to the Guide to Knots that I am looking at:

-If using this knot with single strand braid joined to single strand leader,
it will retain 65% strength, have small bulk,excellent stress resistance and ease of tying is medium.

If you double the braid and join it similarly to the leader, you have 100% strength with same other qualities mentioned above, with the added advantage that it will go through rod guides for a spinning outfit (but not a levelwind baitcaster reel).

PS. Just saw your post of doubling the entire line and gluing it to increase strength - seems to be a tough way of doing things. Just buy a stronger line!
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

@kingfish -can u please give the link for the knot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Angling4Fun,

I have found it (Kaneit knot) quite easily on google ,however there seems to be no pictorial on it and it is described in words only.

By the way, a 20 lb braid line will invariably be a lot stronger than its stated
strength (I don't know what brand you have). Normally, Fireline or Fins or Platyl braid of this strength would probably break at about the 30-35 lb mark.

Provided you tie it to a leader with a knot that gives 100% strength (such
as the Kaneit), you can punch out of your division without going through the hassle of doubling the entire line and gluing it.

Hope this helps and good fishing.