->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Lures and Their colours.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi All,
Need some serious advice about what colour lure Should one use according to water conditions.
Which colour lures are best in muddy water and which are the best during clear conditions.

Which colour Braid is least visible under water. [smilie=sadlook.gif] :!: :!: :!: :idea: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Inshore, I swear by dull yellow/yellow green and red/white lures. Red heads also work incredibly well as do fluro orange in low light. For some reason blues and purples do not work well for me except on GTs (with blues). For a change, after you have lost a fish or taken one out and the biting stops (if you were using Red/Whites, greens or yellows) and the fish are around, a change to blue or purple usually induces a strike. This has worked for me several times.

Offshore, blue lures have really out-fished other colours for me.

If the water is muddy I do not really cast at all but wait for it to clear, some members suggest using large lures with exaggerated movement so that the fish can “feel” the movement, it is surely the logical thing to do. However I can only recall catching fish in muddy water (by casting into the muddy water with lures) about twice and one of those two times with a spoon. And I am talking in about 30 years of fishing so my rate of fishing in muddy water is really poor.

The other scenario when I have caught fish in muddy water is when there are floating patches of clean water in the muddy water, I have caught fish by casting into clear water patches, this is a completely different scenario than fishing in water that is completely muddy and the chances of getting hit is very high as the fish more or less concentrate themselves to these clear patches where they hunt. Usually the "take" is just before the lure gets into the muddy part, as the predators are hiding in fringes of the water fringes using it as cover.

Another thing to consider using in muddy water is a popper, perhaps it will work, never tried it though.

As far as my knowledge goes, all Braid is visible under water.

Last edited by Bobby on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Here is a good site that shows you how colours change and react to different water conditions

http://www.mepps.com/fishing-article/co ... you-get/77

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Great link. Thanks.
While studying on this topic some time back, I found out that red disappears in clear water at the depth of 10'. First thought I got was what would happen if someone wore red and dived. I didn't remember anyone from Baywatch with their red costumes disappearing in any of the underwater rescue scenes.
:twisted: No, kidding, I thought what would happen to a red head deep diver.
Then I did a test by taking with me a small red plastic bottle at the 16' end of the pool. It didn't disappear but did not look very red anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks a lot bobby and Mahaseerken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mahaseerken

That sure was some informative link.
Thanks buddy.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Mario,

you sure seemed very quite when I met you. As if someone scolded you & you were protesting.

Anyway, various colours dissappear at various depths of the water column.

The order of dissappearance is as per the spectrum (colours of the rainbow) VIBGYOR (Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange & Red)

Red being the first to dissappear @ 30' of water (10m), next Orange, yellow..... & so on.

I only use red braid now & orange monofilament. However, I still catch almost nothing.... :lol:

Best regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:03 pm 
Fishaholic

ha ha ha ha I nearly laughed my heart out ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur thanks for the info. And for the part of being quite i'm normaly not that way but may be cause first i did'nt recognize you and secondly i was also bussy trying my luck .