->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi All,
Can you guys please assist on a basic dead bait setup suitable for MJ's. A picture of that ,with the names of knots used would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Go through the rig and try one of them.. :D

http://www.google.co.in/images?hl=en&cl ... 80&bih=606

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:45 pm 

Use this rig and wrap the bait with bait elastic or fine cotton to keep it in place, I hang the bat on the sinker spike while casting

Or this one if you are using a plain lead, the fish can pick up the bait with little resistance before you can strike into it.

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:12 am 
Fishaholic

Both of the above rigs are for beach fishing and will not work while fishing from the rocks.

I think A4F is interested in rock fishing rigs.

Regards,

Ali.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:10 pm 
Fishaholic

@britangler- thanks man,these are simple to setup.
@ali- you are agsolutely right ali, i am looking for mjs from the rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:01 pm 
Fishaholic

this is how i do it.... method 1

i tie some fluro to the the braid say 4 ft...then tie the the hook on ... then i put a live mullet on and live line.. since u want to deadbait.. put a whole dead sardine , or small squid or strip of salt dehydrated mackrel..

2 method .. is better.. this is it..

pick up some stress balls.. the yellow tennis size sponge type balls that they distribute at mgt meetings so u can squeeze when u get all worked up.. that why the call em stress balls..
anyway ..take one then take your braid on a needle , now thread it thru the ball.. pull the braid a bit thru the ball now tie on your fluro.. again about 4 ft.. add your hook ..again your choice of bait..

what will now happen is that since your near the rocks your bait will not hit the bottom.. it will remain about 4ft from the water surface.. coz the the stress ball floats... so you will not snag into rock much when the fish hits..
try it out tell me how it goes..
whenever i go for such meetings .. i collect these stress balls .. my colleagues think im crazy...and also crack some below the belt jokes.. little do they know i use it for the above .. to tedious to explain to them.. so.. thats how the cookie crumbles .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:07 pm 
Fishaholic

For fishing into rocks, I'd be inclined to go with a simple "rotten bottom" type setup.
For close range fishing, make up some sinkers from concrete and attatch them with a paperclip onto the bottom of a simple patternoster setup.
When (not if) the sinker gets snagged, a good pull will straighten out the paperclip and alow you to retrieve the tackle and (if you're lucky) fish leaving the weight behind.
Keep hardware to a minimum as anything that can snag in the rocks will - I tend to tie my patternosters with a four turn water knot.
Keep the hook length shorter than the lead link so the weight goes into the rocks but the hook stays clear.
If you can source them, use fine wire hooks. These will be adequate to land must fish but will straighten out if they get snagged.

If you need to cast further, the paperclip isn't very safe as it's likely to release under the load of casting so have a look at some of the more sophisticated rotten bottom rigs on Google that use a weak link of line with the lead on a hook for casting.

Edit: I should add that mono is the way to go in the rocks. Fish with heavy (say 40lb) and cheap momo because you're going to have to change it regularly as the rocks and oysters take their toll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:56 pm 
Fishaholic

@hamour - Thanks hamour,ill start collecting them and try that out:)
@ ken - as usual wonderful piece of information thanks ken