->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello all,
Can you guys advice on how to identify good quality monofilament fishing line (except for the obvious price difference)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Unlike Braid Mono does not have any hard or fast rule by which we can identify the good ones from the bad ones by just looking at it.. Many people would say the softer ones would be better than the stiffer ones. However I know of a very well know brand where the stiffer one is better than the softer ones.

So the only thing to keep in mind while you order monofilment is read a lot of reviews from people who have used them about the memory, castability etc etc. I generally do that before I order and now I have stuck to only 2 of them (Big Game, Cajun).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Nylon has two basic formulations. Hard and springy or soft and limp. "Best" depends on what you're using it for.
One thing is universal though - go for the one that is recently manufactured, stored in the dark and has been kept at a fairley stable temperature.

Hard monos tend to be cheaper but even within a type, prices vary - it's up yo you to decide whether this relects better quality dies and better quality control in manufacture or simply premium pricing for brand names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Beside what ken has already explained, I will also check the knot strength of the line I am using. Simply make a single loop knot on the line and jerk test it. You will be amazed to see how many supposedly good line break with a slight jerk.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:49 pm 
Fishaholic

HI GUYS, thank u for your valuble inputs, my conept was mono which behaves like cotton threads are much superior than others. i onced used a cheap mono line,which was stiffer and difficult to cast, morover i loast a lure to breakoff while casting on the same line ...what type of mono line u pros recommend for sw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Angling4Fun wrote:
HI GUYS, thank u for your valuble inputs, my conept was mono which behaves like cotton threads are much superior than others. i onced used a cheap mono line,which was stiffer and difficult to cast, morover i loast a lure to breakoff while casting on the same line ...what type of mono line u pros recommend for sw?

Have always used Berkley Big Game in all my salt water reels, works very well for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Angling4Fun wrote:
Hello all,
Can you guys advice on how to identify good quality monofilament fishing line (except for the obvious price difference)

Hi, It again would boil down to the intended use. For example a reasonable and decent mono is Berkely Big Game. I've used it for years on the Cauvery and it's been a brilliant line, because of it's thickness and abrasion resistance. It's a s**t line to spin with.

If you're casting or spinning in a place relatively free of snags and rocks it would make sense to use a more premium mono, which will aid you in getting more distance on your casts or allow you to use lighter lures.

Makes sense to invest in a couple of spools of different brands of mono and come to your own conclusions.

Tight Lines,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:04 pm 
Fishaholic

@mighty marlin, thanks i would buy myself big game, try it out and let u guys know...