->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:47 am 
Fishaholic

Can a graphite rotor stand up to the punishment meted out by a big fish? In context it is the Shimano Saragosa SR8000F which is a saltwater spinning reel prices at US$230 but has a graphite rotor survive for long as a heavy freshwater/light saltwater reel?

Why are manufacturers installing graphite instead of metal/non metals? Is is the cost of graphite which works out to be cheaper?

I have been adviced by a member in the forum with much experience to steer clear of graphite in rotors and spools for big fish. He has seen them failing on the river against big mahseer.

Thus, does this limit the use of Graphite Rotos/ Graphite Spools to light tackle only where they can save weight?

Inputs from all members are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:54 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

I have not used Graphite spinning reels, but the Penn 525 Conventional which i use has a graphite frame.

It has handled Big rays, cats without any problems. There is no distortion in the frame under load.

Maybe a bigger fish if i get one will show how much it can handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpl,

I personally shy away from graphite rotors/spools on larger, heavy duty reels as I feel that they will not stand up to punishment and rough handling.

This is a personal thing and may not necessarily be true. However, I would not like to drop a graphite reel and watch it shatter-whereas the metal reel may just shrug off such treatment.

I do not have a similar reservation for the lighter reels for trout fishing etc.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:27 am 

i have used the cheaper shimano stradig for grouper + gt"s on the andamans and the graphite rotor wasent a problem and i`ll probaly buy a saragaso 8000 for my trip too the andamans in feb.

Søren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:04 pm 
Fishaholic

This question is related to Drag you are using. If you plan to put extreme drag, don't use graphite spool otherwise, they are as good as metal spool.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:21 pm 
Fishaholic

I wrote to Shimano USA on the reliability factor of a "Graphite Rotor" on a Saltwater Spinning Reel. This is what the said in their reply:-

"We rate our reels drag pressure to match what the rest of the reel can handle. On models with higher drag pressures they will have an Aluminum rotor if needed. This can be seen on the larger Saragosa 14000 and 18000 models. These use an Aluminum rotor due to the higher drag force that the reel is able to generate.

Unquote.

Still, I would have immediately decided in favour of the Saragosa if it had a metal rotor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashok, Interesting to read about graphite shafts. I guess they might be the way in the future, but as of now it'll be steel and aluminium. All the high drag reels I've used so far have had metal shafts. Guess the graphite shafts will work better for lighter and some freshwater applications.
I don't think a graphite shaft will be able to withstand pressures exerted by a big GT or a Dog Tooth Tuna.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:22 am 
Fishaholic

GT's & Tuna would be metal only I believe. I would be interested to know if these Graphite Rotors would last against Mahseer in 20 - 30 lb range?

Saragosa is a saltwater reel, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashok, There's only one way to find out I guess! Let us know how the graphite shafts work with 20-30lb mahseer. I'm sure the reel will do fine.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:28 am 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
Hi Ashok, There's only one way to find out I guess! Let us know how the graphite shafts work with 20-30lb mahseer. I'm sure the reel will do fine.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

:lol: :lol: