->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Which leaders work best?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:01 pm 

Hi All,

Just wanted to know, from your experience, which leaders work best when you are targeting MJ's, Breams and Barramundis?

Cheers,

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Danny Boy use about 40 lbs SS wire leaders the ones with a plastic sheath over a fine ss cable or just 0.40 mm single strand wire.Length i normal use is 18 inches.Have a look here this will help http://www.make-your-own-fishing-lures. ... aders.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

Wire leaders actually reduce the strike rate with these fish.

I prefer Fluro Carbon or Mono Leaders, they will dramatically improve your strike rate, youn will notice this difference when using plugs or minnow type lures in clear water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 am 

@ Heliox: Thanx :)

@ Bobby: Is it possible that any of these fish could bite through a mono or flouro leader?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm 
Fishaholic

danny1984 wrote:
@ Heliox: Thanx :)

@ Bobby: Is it possible that any of these fish could bite through a mono or flouro leader?

I will agree with Bobby and the fishes you mentioned will not bite the lader but can cut you on the rocks. Twisted flouro or mono leaders do work very nicely. If you are fishing where a Barracuda or Shark can take your bait, use wire leaders.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:23 am 
Fishaholic

I've been an advocate of ditching the wire leaders when hits from toothy species are unlikely for some time.

There's nothing in what follows that I haven't posted on here elsewhere but as it's relevant to this topic and might be helpful, I'm going to reproduce some advice that I recently sent via PM.

A 24" (40cm) leader sounds about right but I agree that cable and the big shinney swivels and clips that go with it are likely to spook fish.
Flouro or mono is the way to go.
On the outfit that you describe, I would go with 40 - 50lb flouro or 50 - 60lb "hard" monofilament.

If you go with flourocarbon, you will find it's thinner than the equivelent mono, more abaision resistant and obviously has optical advantages as well - but it's pretty expensive stuff.
With flouro, don't be tempted to buy the stuff that's sold as a mainline (especially Berkley Vanish as it'ts rubbish) and go instead for the stuff made by Seagar or or similar companies and formulated as a leader. This is usually only sold in 25m spools and as I say it is expensive - I wince every time I buy a new spool.....

If you go with mono, you want the cheap stuff. Nylon basically has two formulations, the expensive stuff is soft, limp, easy to fish with, has low "flash" when the sun gets on it and is relativly expensive. The other stuff is cheap, springy, has a "hard" (read abraision resistant) finish and is horrible to fish with on a reel. These very qualities make it a great and very cheap leader material - - it's what I use when I'n throwing lures into the rocks for barramundi.

When it comes to attatching your leader to the braid, forget swivels (they will eventually knock the liner out of your tip ring if you fish in the dark) and join the lines with a double uni knot
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-tie-d ... 5798/view/
Make about 11 or 12 turns on the braid side of the knot and about 5 or 6 on the mono side to take account of the difference in line dianeters and get a balanced knot.
On the other end of the trace, you will need a clip. For me, the Rolls Royce of clips (and I know they are available in India) are breakaway fastlink clips. Just tie it on the end with either a uni knot or an improved clich knot and you're good to go.

Don't forget to check the leader after each fish and shorten it down a bit if it is getting badly abraided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 am 
Fishaholic

I use twisted Fluro Carbon Leaders of 40 LB, and I have found it improves your strike both while spinning and trolling, till date i have lost only 4 fish, but have landed 100's including a 17.5 kg grouper, 5 kg MJ, 10 KG barra, and a 4.5 ft long barracuda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Why would you twist flourocarbon ?
I'm struggling to see any advantage from doing so and I can see lots of disadvantages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:29 pm 
Enlightened

Hello!

My experience for fishing India:

Used always nylon shock leader for lure fishing, which is much cheaper than fluorocarbon and never had leader cut. In my experience the Lure itself is already the "leader" to protect the line from the teeth.

But for sure Fluo would be nice thing especially in clear water.

Just attached to the Mainline with a knot.

If you want to use a longer leader for protection from getting cutted by the rocks i would recommend you the mid knot.

Till now i have never seen somebody using a twisted leader, its maybe for Big Game Fishing?

cheers and tight lines, markus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:31 pm 
Enlightened

The mid knot

http://fishwrecked.com/image/mid-knot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Like any other innovation, two strand twisted leader has its own plus and minus. I too, like Santosh, is a big fan of twisted leader while rock fishing or Popping. A 20 lb, two strand flouro or mono leader can take load up to 60/ 70lb and at the same time, its a much superior shock absorber.

I will rather use a 20/30 lb two strand twisted leader than a wire or 60/80 lb fluro/mono leader.

Surprisingly, if you know how to tie a proper twisted leader, the strike rate is much better. (Santy, remember Durg :twisted: )

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:07 am 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Santy, remember Durg :twisted

Yes .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 am 

Thanks for all the input guys. I am finding this really helpful. Appreciate it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Well even I vote for fluro twisted leaders for popping attached directly to the braid,

Happy Diwali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
I'm struggling to see any advantage from doing so and I can see lots of disadvantages.

Me to..I go up in Lb. Infact just the day before I picked up a roll of 120lb Fluro leader from Singapore for a friend of mine along with a popping rod for GT. Each one to their own I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Bobby wrote:
Wire leaders actually reduce the strike rate with these fish.

I prefer Fluro Carbon or Mono Leaders, they will dramatically improve your strike rate, youn will notice this difference when using plugs or minnow type lures in clear water.

I'd have to agree with Bobby and most guys who use mono/fluoro. They increase strikes, especially in really clear water or if fish are reluctant to strike. I was recently trolling for 3 days, 4 rods out and not a bite off. Encountered YFT, GT, mackerel and a stray wahoo. I really am struggling to think of the last 'bite off'. They don't happen too often. But with wire, I have noticed a very obvious fall in strikes.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:

Hi Ken, The twisties do work :D They were a favourite of ours and we used them in the early days. We used to twist 120lb fluoro to pop with. Those days we used a really heavy drag and the twisty took a lot of the shock that comes with a big GT strike, it also allowed us to fish shallower reefs where the chances of getting reefed were very real. I've landed fish on one leg of the twisty after a GT went and wrapped itself around a bommie.

Over time we went down in size with our twisted leaders and had them also only about a meter long. Also fished a much lighter drag or we'd open trebles.

Now we're experimenting with a semi twisted leader. Our popping leaders are constantly being changed and modified. That keeps the fishing interesting.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.