->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey guys
fishing season is on its peak and we are having lots and lots of barracuda these days.....
day before i went unprepared and lost 2of the buggers as i was not using any leader....... so i bought wire leader and this time i went prepared..... still i lost 3 or more.... i was using 12inch of wire leader still it was initial first run and a clean cut.....
i was able to land only one and that was on a 100lb mono as leader.... after landing the fish i tried to remove the hook and during that time the fish just closed it mouth and the 100lb mono cut like butter with hot knife....

last year i got a barracuda without a leader and that was sheer by luck if i see what is going on from last 2 days......

please suggest me a proper way to use leader (wire or mono or florocarbon)......

Last edited by hozefaishaqali on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Does your wire leader have a big shiney chrome swivel at the end of it ?

If so, it sounds like the barracouda are attacking that and cutting your line.
A bit of mat balck paint might be a quick fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Firstly,

Were you using lures or live bait?
Secondly, the wire leaders you are referring to are they the ones you get them ready made with swivel and snap? Please explain your setup that should help us assist you better. Ideally speaking the barracudas on the shoreline dont tend to grow bigger then a meter and a 40 lb wire leader is good enough for them. When you are saying your leader snapped it worries me as what I have noticed that they tend to jump and turn and twist when hooked and this could cause the leader to snap but it is highly unlikely if the leader is new.

Let us know. Try to use yozuri golden red minnow as these fish tend to strike something that is shinny and even injured live bait (ballyhoo)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken
i was not using shiny ones.....
is 12 inch wire leader sufficient?

and should it be petnoster rig or runnig lead rig.......
thanks
and

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:07 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Firstly,

Were you using lures or live bait?
Secondly, the wire leaders you are referring to are they the ones you get them ready made with swivel and snap? Please explain your setup that should help us assist you better. Ideally speaking the barracudas on the shoreline dont tend to grow bigger then a meter and a 40 lb wire leader is good enough for them. When you are saying your leader snapped it worries me as what I have noticed that they tend to jump and turn and twist when hooked and this could cause the leader to snap but it is highly unlikely if the leader is new.

Let us know. Try to use yozuri golden red minnow as these fish tend to strike something that is shinny and even injured live bait (ballyhoo)

DeZZ

i was using Live bait (Mullet) maid in arabic..... size 6 to 8 inches....
and leader was prepared by myself.......
yes you are right about the size of the barracuda..... it was not more than 60cm....
Barracuda didnt cut the wire Leader........ insted it used to be initial run and then i will retreve and then somewhere in between second run it will get a clean cut of my line (not the leader)..... i use using 14lb suffix mono....
It looks like more of the twist and turn where they were able to get hold of my main line......
i guess the leader was getting tangled with main line while casting.....
so this could be a reason.......
can you tell me right way to make a wire leader.... with length and rigging combinations......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Hozefa,

I dont think that the issue is with the leader.

I have taken maximum barracudda with a 6" x 20lb wire leader.

Please check the kind of knot that you are using, it could be that the knot is opening up ?

the other reason is that when you have hooked the fish, you have not kept the line under tension at all times. A slight slack could give the fish a chance to twist or snap the line.

Hope your mono has not been exposed to extensive heat sunlight for long periods of time as this could make the line brittle. Do you take you gear to the house & wash it regularily or is it left in the car boot ?

be happy you are getting barracuda in Kuwait. They havent yet hit the dubai waters like that did last year.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:26 pm 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:
i was using Live bait (Mullet) maid in arabic..... size 6 to 8 inches....
and leader was prepared by myself.......
yes you are right about the size of the barracuda..... it was not more than 60cm....
Barracuda didnt cut the wire Leader........ insted it used to be initial run and then i will retreve and then somewhere in between second run it will get a clean cut of my line (not the leader)..... i use using 14lb suffix mono....
It looks like more of the twist and turn where they were able to get hold of my main line......
i guess the leader was getting tangled with main line while casting.....
so this could be a reason.......
can you tell me right way to make a wire leader.... with length and rigging combination......

Mullet make a good bait, especially if they are live. If you are sure there are barracudas around (Indicator will be bait fish being chased) use mullet as live bait use either a two hook rig or a stinger rig but put them on a balloon as a float around 2 meters on top of the bait. Snip off the tail of the bait so they struggle to swim and create commotion. This will for sure attract the barracudas. Will upload the balloon rig sometime later this evening for your reference. As Keyur said a 14 lbs line and a 20 lbs wire leader is good enough for these kinda barracudas. make sure there is no trace of rust on your rig as any twist and turns and your leader will give in. Most importantly day make sure you check your main line before you cast, any fibrous sightings on your main are not a good sign. Snap it off and have a good line attached to the wire leader.

For a two hook rig:

Used a 2 foot long wire (20/25/30 lbs) leader. You will required crimps and a crimping tool as well. First insert the crimp in the leader and then insert the big hook (You may use 1/0 or 2/0 Eagle Claw Octopus Hooks or similar ones would do) but make one wind on on the eye of the hook and then insert the tag end through the crimp and press the crimp as close as one inch from the hook. Be careful when you are pressing the crimp as you need to take due care as it could damage the wire. Once done now its time for the second hook to rig to 3 to 4 inches above the tag end hook. this hook will necessarily act as a bait holder so you can either use a bait hook or any other hook of smaller size. decide where you want the bait hook to appear and tie a overhand know on the shank of the hook using the wore leader of course. and then pass the other open tag end through the eye of the bait the hook.

Of course there are many other better ways which you could search on youtube as well.

Check this links :
http://www.marinews.com/Bridle-rig-usin ... es-253.php

Cheers mate. Will wait to hear from you soon about the successful landing.

DeZZ

Post subject: Balloon Rig
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Here is what I was referring to as balloon rig, Enjoy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:34 pm 
Fishaholic

EDITED : POST REPEATED

Last edited by teritex on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Dezz for the suggesstions...
i will try it next week......

Keyur:
there is no problem with the wire leader.... its not the leader that is getting cut or the knots that are getting opened up.......
my wire leader gets a bit tangled up with the main line while casting... so there is something wrong in the setup..... this is my first time preparing wire leader.....
all the time it was the main line (20 lb mono) which was getting clean cut.....

i want to know the proper setup so that no point of time while casting my leader gets tangled with the main line......

i saw a company prepared leader and going to prepare the same this week and see the results......

the other big problem is crabs.....
how to save the bait from the crab as once the bait is dead then the chances of strike becomes less.....
as all my strikes were on live bait..... i want to know how to save bait from crabs?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 pm 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:

i want to know the proper setup so that no point of time while casting my leader gets tangled with the main line......

i saw a company prepared leader and going to prepare the same this week and see the results......

the other big problem is crabs.....
how to save the bait from the crab as once the bait is dead then the chances of strike becomes less.....
as all my strikes were on live bait..... i want to know how to save bait from crabs?
thanks

For CRABS, to be frank enough you have to keep you bait suspended using a balloon or a float. For that matter its not just Crabs it can be picked up by tripod fish or even the puffers.

In the balloon rig you can have the rig length of 2'-3' of which the tag end will have a swivel that will be connected to your main line using a loop or other reliable knot.

Questions?

How do you connect the wire leader to your main line?
What is the length of your leader?
Is your RIG made of wire leader or you are using mono leader to prepare your rig and than connect it to your wire leader?

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Dezz..
length of wire leader is 12-15inches....
im just attaching my wire leader with the main line through a seiwel.......
nothing else other than main line and wire leader.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi there,

It still baffles me. From whatever info you have given, I don't find any good reason why your main line should entangle or brush on your leader. Chances are that your main line has developed twists and as a result of which it is not being released smoothly through your guides. Try to release your line from a 15 store building to get rid of the twist (If posible ;), secondly check if your guides are in good shape and properly aligned (look through your guides). How long did you have this line on the spool? Lastly, before you cast bait into that water, tie a 3 oz sinker and cast as far as possible so the line is freed and retains less memory. If nothing works, its time you respool the reel :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hozefa, I use 2 swivels if I am live baiting. This allows movement along 3 axis & lets the bait move around.

I will post a pic of the rig, if & whne I get the time.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Dezz for the info.........
i will see and try to resolve the problem this weekend....
i will try the 2hook rig that you explained earlier......

thanks Keyur...
i will be waiting for the picture.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey can anyone suggest how to get / make wire leader crimps (cheap)
i checked a tackle shop here and it was very expensive......
can anyone suggest alternative?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Your crimp will decide whether you will land the fish or let it swim away with your lure / hooks.

do not compromise on crimps.

the other option is to tie your wire leader (as a knot)

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:52 am 
Fishaholic

Keyur
i said cheap as in money wise not to compromise with the quality......
for a small bag of crimps (100pcs or less) he was asking like 15$...
i dont want to compromise on the quality.......
and as there are great minds on the forum that have innovative ways of finding solution i thought i will ask about a homemade solution.......
thanks for the info......
im aware that in an electrical shop its going to be a lot cheaper but i could not find the right size
i will ceheck once again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:28 pm 
Fishaholic

was waiting for thursday to come so that i can enjoy some good fishing.....
as i was preparing for the cudas this week as well i got myself some crimps from electrical shop and it was almost 10times cheaper.....
prepared the wire leaders (rigs) and i was ready for night fishing......

as soon as i reached the spot i saw my fellow angler who was packing his bags....
he told me that there are no bites as there are crabs only.....

i took out my tackle and put on a nice chunk of cuttle fish on the rig and tied it with cable ties.....
first cast and i waited....... i could see the usual way of crab pulling the bait.......
after 5 mins the bait was over and i prepared another chunk of cuttlefish.......
here it goes again and within a miniute i saw the rod bending and then the sweet voice of reel screaming....
i got the rod and set the hook and i was onto the fish (or the fish was onto me)
i felt like i have hooked into a train which is not going to stop.....
i tighten the drag a bit more and the rod bent a bit more but there was no stopping..... i tried my thumb a bit as and when required.......
after a min or so the fish stopped and i tried to reel in the fish but there was nothing i could not gain any line.....
my brother told me what am i doing as he thought that i was just exaggerating the situation.........
after a few seconds again the torpido took on and it gained a few more meters of line before stopping......
this time i put more pressure and gained some line back.....
now it was giving in but it was not easy job getting the bugger back.......
some how i managed to get the bugger close to shore and then i saw a huge splash of water as it surfaced.......
i thought i had it but the bugger had some more energy left in it....... as soon as it came out of water it dashed back again and this time it took more than 20 mts of line......
and then finally i got the bugger on shore.......
it was a Cat fish of about 5 kgs....... (it was not weighted but it was easily more than 5 Kgs)
tried to take pictures with mobile phone but in vain.....
dehooked the fish and it was relesed back............
this is the biggest fish for me till now and it was a great experience...... have no words to express my feelings..........

the best part is
everything worked perfectly
rod, reel, line, knots and the rig.......

tackle used:
Rod: calipso 12-25lb; 7ft rod
reel: rapala 12-20lb reel
line: suffix 14lb mono attached to wire leader

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:52 pm 
Fishaholic

There you GO :)

Congrats on the CAT LANDING. Use a float to keep the bait suspended. Sardines and ballyhoo will yield better fishes like barracuda/cobia/king mackrele etc. Squid/Cuttlefish will often get you CAT/STINGRAY/ ETC. The reason being they are bottom feeders and from what I understand you were using a bottom rig?

All the best and you will land many more for sure.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:47 pm 
Fishaholic

You are spot on about the bottom rig......
i was all prepared for the outing with floats and rig that will be mid water...
but when i reached the spot there were no bait fish... not even one...
so had to rely on cuttle fish and shrimps............
also temperature here is going down evryday....

i found one thing that cudas will go for live bait compared to dead bait.....
cobia is usually during april-june time....
next week will try the mid water rigs......