->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hand-lining magur
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:01 pm 

Hello all fishing gurus!!

I am a "bong" living in ASSAM. We have our own pond which is full of tasty magurs ( also carps, shols, shinghis, clown knifes, perches, barbs, eels...).

I want to catch the magurs using hand-line (You know na, line wrapped around a bottle ....). I have heard that its quite exciting :D .

I have never tried it before. Please give me some suggestions/inputs like baits, techniques etc .... anything you know.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Spent my childhood catching Magoors, these guys can grow big.

We use to catch them on earthworm. Do a bottom feeding and they are sure to be hooked.
You can also use chicken intestines.

You can also do float fishing. Tips to know if a Magoor is hooked, they will never jerk the line they will take and run. Same is with Singis, be very carefull with their sting they are REALLY PAINFULL.
People do get fever after stinged.

All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Here is a sure shot way of getting mangur.

Get a tin of dog (oily type with chicken pieces).

Make many holes in the tin. the holes should be big enough for the oil and chicken pieces to come out off.

Throw the tin into the pond. Make sure you drop it into a good spot, preferably next to weeds.

(if you can't get dog food put some chicken or goat liver in a blender. Make a nice smooth paste. Fill this paste into a bottle and drop this into the pond)

After a few hours the magoor will start collecting around this area and the scent of the ground bait will send them into a feeding frenzy. Drop your line into this spot and wait for that bite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:31 pm 
Fishaholic

:twisted: Hehehehee Thanks Mken...those black beauties will be taken care of this weekend :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Your pond is stocked with the local magur or the hybrid one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:26 pm 

@apoo: They are local, greenish black color. Rarely get above 2kilos. Hybrids (Thai/Auzzie) haven't populated our waters properly.
@Raj: Yes u r right about the fever, but singhi stings are more painful. But we kno how to immobilize them.
@MKEN: Will try ur dogfood recipe, pretty interesting!! Thanks a lot.

About the baits, these magurs tend to be a bit choosy about their bait, we catch them mostly using small n fresh freshwater prawns and earthworms only. Another thing they love are Wasp Larvae :twisted: But thats rare.

My main question is about the techniques of using hand-line to catch fish (I know the method is quite archaic :wink: ) . I know that many of you have used it to catch fish atleast once in your life. Please tell me how its done.