->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi all,
First of all thank you guys for taking time,patiently replying to my queries.. I have a few doubts regarding equipment and i`m pretty sure this is the right place look for an answer...my doubts are..

1. I have an abu garcia cardinal bruiser rod-reel combo (rod: 8ft,MH spinning,reel: 4bearing alum spool)...im planning to load it with BERKLEY TRILENE BIG GAME (MONOFILAMENT) 50lb-100yds line..is this line okay for my rod.

2.next doubt is regarding the leader,i`m planning to make my own leader from the 50lb mono line...make 1ft of `twisted leader`(take 2ft of the line,fold in half,twist the line throughly to make a twisted leader),attach a snap clip at one end and swivel at another end....would this leader work?

Btw im trying my hand in sw angling...Thanks to all the gurus in advance..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi, Did a quick Google search of the combo you've mentioned and found this...

http://www.abugarcia.com/prod.php?k=132 ... 20(1130205)#BRS82/5 (1130206)

The website says the reel comes pre-spooled with 17lb mono, so I think 50 lb line is definitely not suitable for the combo. Why don't you try 20lb or 30lb braid? You might get more line on to the spool than 50lb mono.

You will need a leader that is at-least a meter long. The twisty leaders work well... let me know if you can sort it out yourself, if not I'll see if I have some lying around and post pics.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi mighty marlin, you are absolutely right,the reel is prespooled with 17lb mono, but the line is inferior quality..morover,i am skeptical abt 17lb line,tied to heavier lures...(with my very limited knowledge)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi, you'll have to be a little more specific about the kind of water you're fishing and size/species of fish you're targeting and I'm sure you'll find the right answers on the forum. Right now it's a bit difficult to give you a specific answer.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:56 am 
Fishaholic

Buddy if the question is about 8ft medium heavy rod being used with 50lb braid easy no problem, 50lb Mono (Big No No for cardinal bruiser, the reel spool size is way too small so you would have a terrible spring effect if you use 50lb mono) . I use a 6.6ft medium heavy baitcasting rod with 50lb power pro. With the reel I am not sure if it will be able to handle the pressure.

Frankly speaking does not matter what the length of the rod is if you are not trying to cast from the beach, it is how you play and land the fish which matters, till the time you have a solid reel. I always used 6.5ft at the most 7ft MH rod for saltwater fishing with 50lb power-pro or 55lb PE line.

My Favourite is the Diawa cross beat 7ft MH rod 8-20 line rating with Abu Garcia C4 for Saltwater loaded with 55lb PE line.

With the Leader if you are using a 50lb braid, try and use a 60lb - 70lb Shock or flurocarbon Leader. Would say shock leader is the best. Also if you can attach the leader directly to the main line you would not have cut the braid everytime after a fishing trip.

If I have confused you let me know would post a video showing my setup. as it becomes pretty easy even to change the rod and reel without cutting or tying your leader or braid

Last edited by Christopher Rodrick on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hi christopher, Thanks for your info,the video link would be great..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

I bought 50Lb berkley and tried to spool it on 6000 size reel but the line is very stiff. At the time of casting, the line comes out of the reel very fast and spoils the cast. So i changed my lines from mono to braid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 pm 
Fishaholic

I recently bought 10 nos of 100 meters filler spools of Sufix Duraflex Clear 0.40mm 34.1lb

This line is very good, 34 lbs @ 0.40 mm is good for the surf. the line diameter and the low memory makes the line even better.

I have caught big rays on this line and it has stood up to the task.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys, I was just having a read of this thread and what's most important is that one matches their tackle with the line they use. Reels and rods are made for specific breaking strains in line. Drag washer components, gears and materials used are built to withstand a certain amount of 'wear and tear'. Using line higher than the specified breaking strain ratings often puts stress on a reel, that the reel is not designed for. I've seen a number of reels fail because of this. The last one I saw broke at the stem with a locked down drag trying to stop a big fish. An expensive mistake!
Please try and match the line you use with the rating mentioned for the reel. If you're using a higher breaking strain line or braid of a higher rating then it makes sense to have the drag set according to what the reel can take. It's a thought but might save you your tackle.

Tight lines,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:00 pm 
Fishaholic

@apoo-thanks apoo,this was the answer i was looking for

@kasahaif,mighty marlin - i was skeptical about the line breaking away when castingheavy lures...rite now am using 20lB mono(pioneer) ,already lost a lp120 for line breakage...and when i was winding up saw the sides of the l9ne began to split up....so thought of upgrading to 50lb,.....guess ill abandon that....btw max my reel can handle is 30lb..l