->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Line colour
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:16 am 
Fishaholic

Hi all, I'm about to buy some bulk spools of Berkley Big Game in 40lbs strain to bring out with me next Feb. But it comes in two colours:
clear or green

So which should I buy?

I'm thinking clear....... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:52 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Steve,

I have a bulk spool of green Berkley and it works fine. Was using light blue Suffix earlier. Both worked well for me.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:44 pm 
Fishaholic

I have used green monofil for Mahseer spinning in north and it always appeared to work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Go For Green as its the best in all types of water .... and hides great in a shadow under heavy water

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:15 am 
Fishaholic

Yeah, I hear what you're all saying and I've since read similar points of view in other places. Green it is
thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:04 am 
Fishaholic

Steve,

Just to stir things up a bit:

I presume you'll be doing bait fishing, with the 40-lb line. That usually means bottom fishing in fairly deep water. Colour is thus not super critical, as long as you're not using those luminous stuff. Still, we tend to use what gives us confidence. Between the two options, I'll take the green one since, in Feb, that's probably the colour of the water.

But for mahseer fishing in Cauvery, abrasion-resistance is paramount for long-drawn fights with big mahseer. Do consider Maxima Chameleon (brown/black)or Sufix Synergy 10X (dusky green), or even Berkley Ironsilk (50-lb, green). I bring tons of the Chameleon, changing line every 3 days, or once I get a big fish. We can use cheap rods and reels, but there's no compromise for hooks and lines!

><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:39 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Steve,
i agree with JB, that it is very important to have some abrasion resistant line, especially if you are fishing fast water.
Maxima Sigma Deep green has worked wonders for me in the past, but then so has clear line.
The problem with abrasion resistant line is it is a bit stiffer than normal and therefore not that good for spinning.
Anyway for spinning for mahseer, you would need to scale down to atleast 30lb line from 40lb if not a little lower, so it is wise to have both.

Berkley Big Game Trilene is great line, i have seen it shredded to ribbons by big fish, and yet it held out through the battle.

Andeline is also pretty strong, but does not have the same abrasion resistant qualities of Maxima and Berkley, but works great for spinning and bait fishing in not too treacherous waters.

I am testing out some new line here, and by the end of this season, should know just how good it is.

Tight Lines
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for your thoughts JB and Owen. My plan was to use Big Game as I believed it would be pretty abrasion resistant. I do use Maxima for most of my rod and line fishing at home, so I am used to how it performs.
Still think I'll go with Big Game in 40lbs Green.

Are the mahseer in Malaysia in similar habitat JB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:23 am 
Fishaholic

Steve,

Sorry for late reply; just got back from long hols.

The mahseer in Malaysia live in upstream jungle river stretches. That means rocks and lots of woody snags: brush piles, logs etc. So, whilst the rivers and fish here are smaller, the challenge is just as great.

Here's a thought: during the dry season when water is clear, the Malaysian mahseer are at the deepest, darkest troughs in the main channel of the pool. The mahseer gets the food at leisure (the current is slower, even though it's in the main channel) and still feels secure from predators (read prime lie).

However, during the rainy season when water's murky and the main channel's faster than the Motor GP, the mahseer are usually found in the shallows, close to the breaklines. Fishing is actually easier: the fish are away from those darn snags, and they dont run far (I suppose they dont know where they are going!).

The same applies for fishing at dusk or at night. The fish most probably will move to the shallower swims, either close to the breaklines of the main channel or at the calmer tailwater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

Rather a different scene from the deccan mahseer JB, who under flood conditions don't touch your bait, and there is just no sign of their presence. Probably taking refuge behind boulders in the shallows, but just don't take an anglers bait.

The good old books reccomend spoons and live bait etc, but the fact is that under such conditions you cannot reach likely spots on a river like the Kaveri, nor will you be able to hold your bait in the best possible position, with even huge amounts of lead. If it does hold bottom, it's a snag from which you are unlikely to recover your tackle.

Only sensible thing to do under these conditions iS pack away your big rods, find some earthworms, and head for the carp and wallago attu spots near the banks.
Even after the water clears and levels go down to almost normal, the same scene can continue till the water warms up suffeciently during the day.
But then there are always a few exceptions, and exceptional days that we all pray for.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:33 pm 
Fishaholic

OB,

I stand half-corrected :-)

Last Nov at Bhimeshwari, we got hit bad by that cyclone. Water level was wayy up. Our first day of fishing got a 70-lb goldenand a couple of 20-pounders. The water was already high. We got that big fish in shallower water, at dusk.

Then it rained and rained for four days flat. Fishing was shot. The only fish we caught were baby mahseer and carnatic carp, underneath bankside trees!

The Cauvery is one big river. During high and murky water, the fish could be anywhere , and the dark conditions dont help either. Also, I feel that the ragi bait is not 'smelly' enough for the fish to home in, in these conditions.

In Malaysia, half-rotten oil palm fruit is now standard bait for mahseer (imagine a super oily red date). The fruit creates an oil slick that attracts the fish from downstream.

In fact, one of our favourite tactics is to hang a perforated sack of crushed oil palm fruit in the water(sort of like a rubby-dubby for shark fishing). The oil and smell drifts constantly downstream, but not the groundbait. In a new swim, it may take 1 or 2 days to get the mahseer, but they WILL come!

Btw OB, remember the pics of the fish tag I promised you? Well, I've just emailed them to Bops. Hopefully he'll send them to you, on some lubrication (masala tea?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi JB,

There is a post containing the pics to you sent, under the tags for mahseer thread.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey JB,
Bheemeshwari seems to fare better in high water than any other place that i know of on the Kaveri. And you are a lucky one mate to do that on the 1st day.
Weather is pretty gloomy right now over here, and there has been a few showers too. Cyclonic weather has been around for the last week in TN and Andhra, let's hope it isin't going to be like last year.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:13 am 
Fishaholic

Yup, you're right! Come to think of it, my two biggest mahseer came from the Bhimeshwari stretch in high/turbid water. And I'm sure luck has a part to play with it too, considering the conditions. Some donations to Thambi at Haira also helps :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:06 pm 
Fishaholic

junglebum wrote:
Some donations to Thambi at Haira also helps :wink:

Hi JB,

The donations to Thambi and bribes to God bombed badly this time for me. Didn't even catch a cold :cry:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Very interesting exchange between JB and Owen there.
Super smelly baits, hey. I've got plenty of Monster Crab flavour boilie mix that will be made into paste. It stinks, but carp love it, hope the mahseer do too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Steve!
Crab smell should work well. In fact when i met Subban's father during my early foray's to the Kaveri (now Subban is head guide for Bush Betta on the stretch below the gorge section at Hajibora), he asked me to bring some small dried fish and shrimp to be added to the Ragi.
He favoured these fishy smelling attractors over Hing and Jeera that are presently in use on the Kaveri. This possibly had more to do with the cost than anything else at the time for both him and i, but come to think of it, i never did try it out.
However whole crabs themselves minus the pincers tied to a hook with thin fishing line, are a great bait for mahseer, and if broken up and threadled through a hook, works great for murral, mahseer and the cats.
Probably even the other siluroids. To avoid wasting time looking for them at the river, i pick up a bagfull from Bangy city market (fish market). These have to be kept dry as they are paddy feild crabs, and will die if dunked in water.
Tight lines
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

OB,

They sell live crabs in Bangalure? :shock: Great! I think crabs are almost extinct in the Cauvery, you know why! We've had great fun hooking mahseer on crabs, especially in the fast waters, but finding the bait is something else.

I brought some Berkley plastic crabs (Gulp!, I think) and tried them last November. These have impregnated smell in them. Alas, the water was too high and turbid, so I got zilch. But I still think it's worth a try in the rapids. Now I'm searching for the right plastic loach (chilwa)! Who cares if the gillies laugh at me. They laughed when we used spinnerbait for murrel, but took their hats off when we caught twelve!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

MM,

Ahh, you made donations to him too, but did he bless your coracle? 8) He did? Hmm, must be you, then! :-)