[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Rubber shads for Saltwater Fishing. - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:22 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:43 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Contrary to the warning on the packs,"Don't overfish...don't take more fish than your limit," I haven't caught anything with plastics. Maybe they aren't right for lakes and rivers, I haven't done more than casting and spinning with the same. Maybe trolling would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:57 pm 
Fishaholic

well i also did not believe in swim shads but i feel the issue is with our retrieve speeds. this was the only lure i got a hit on. the issue is how to do a slow crank to let the lure work its magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:59 am 
Fishaholic

Dev and Ace-doc,

I fully sympathise with your feeelings with regard to not being able to catch anything with the swim shads.

I do not know the type/brand/size that you are using so I am unable to comment on what procedure to follow.

I initially had no luck with the soft plastics until I learnt (from watching a fellow angler) that these work whilst on the drop i.e. fish attack them while
the lure is sinking because this causes the tail to flutter.

It is essential that as soon as you have cast the lure, you close the bail and
turn the reel handle to take up the slack.You will then have a tight line that
should be lying on the surface of the water while the lure is sinking.

This line should be braid and of a high visibility colour (yellow or pink)
so that it will show any deviation from the norm.

If you see the line move sideways of its own accord, strike! it means that
a fish has had a go at the plastic whilst it is sinking.

A slow retrieve can be done by letting the plastic hit the bottom (you will know when this happens when the line stops sinking) and then lifting the
rod tip and reeling in the slack.

This hops the lure along the bottom and catches the attention of any
nearby fish.

I have had the maximum success simply casting to rocks holding fish
(queenfish,trevally, coral trout) and making a normal retrieve near the surface with a prerigged soft plastic i.e. the weight and hook are inbuilt.

I may not be allowed to mention the soft plastic used( due to forum rules?) but it was also a shad type lure (with a paddle tail).

I know this sounds long winded and complicated but it isn't in practice.

So pls persevere and keep us posted. I will try to post some pictures of my softplastic catches later.

Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:15 am 
Fishaholic

i think most of us use storm swim shads and i also think that mentioning lure brands is not taboo. trying to commercially sell lures or promote vendors is.
i am using braid in hi vis red. so shall give your method a go.

Post subject: RE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:35 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the info Kingfish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Groote Eylandt, these are the type of rock structures that held fish to which we cast our soft plastic lures.

Queenfish caught on a Squidgy Slick Rig, (drop-bear pattern) by me.

Queenfish again - reel was a 3500 Certate HD and rod was Lucanas Jig Rod.

Unknown reef fish on soft plastic.

My son gets into the act!

My son again, first time he was soft plastic fishing!!

Post subject: RE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Great catch King fish Congrats on your catch.Its an amazing location. Keep on loading. [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

And once again Thanks for your earlier tips its been very helpfull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:48 pm 
Fishaholic

i use a floro leader of around 2ft length, 30 lb strength. this sunday i plan to hit the spot again but shall be using halco poltergiests more than swim shads.
lets see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:30 am 
Fishaholic

Ace-doc,

You have all the right gear.

By the way, what species will you be targeting?

kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:51 am 
Fishaholic

kingfish , i shall be targeting mangrove jacks, groupers and barra. any one of these will do just fine. i also plan to try baiting a line with prawns / mullet to see what else frequents the area.
btw i just ordered a ugly stick tiger bigwater 7 ft rod. now to save the green for a saltist or conquer size 5 reel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Squidges
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Dev,

I managed to persuade my son to help me with getting the required pictures up of the soft plastics.

The top four plastic lures are pre-rigged (by the factory) and the bottom three are the ones that have been rigged by me.

Please note that invariably the hook point is on top because this helps to keep the lure relatively snag-free when it is swimming near the bottom which may be rocky or have other snags.

You will notice that one of the lures has a treble hook at the bottom and this is prone to snagging.

Trust this is of help to you and good luck for the future.

Kind regards

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:40 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Lures
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:30 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Dev,

Thank you so much for your kind words, may you succeed in your quest.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:08 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:55 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:20 pm