->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: proof of the pudding
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:51 am 
Fishaholic

as most of you know that I am normally lurking and reading about fishing than doing any. so i used the 25th June as an excuse to go on a holiday and get some experience.

the shikar zone was naukuchital this time and I had managed to get a place at the lake resort. as soon as we landed i ran to the edge of the lake, the resort touches the small beach or bay or whatchamacallit. So the first day being sunny I pull out my copy of mepps number 2, my rod is my ole shimano and i have a fifteen pound line on, its a jarvis walker line. So is the reel.

while I had planned on making some boilies, yes I read up on them, invariably saying bye at work, trying to make an early night, getting krypto's stuff ready (yep my water loving lab) distracted me.

On the way I realized that I didn't have any bait, just some spoons and some plastic fish (if your were to read the message on the pack you would feel as if you had the equivalent of a nuke for fish); that was it.

but reading so much about people using spoons made me very curious, does this really work, dangling shiny metal under the surface like Tarzan's necklace would get me fish eh? Well let's see.

i begin casting and doing a slow reel. i had read some american champion trophy fish catcher who wrote about bobbing the spoon up and down to attract fish. so I do that for the next hour. cast, shake rod head up and down, retrieve slow , retrieve fast. something sticks...ahhh damn lake moss.

the interesting part is that the water is so clear that from four feet or so away, i can see small fish, an inch or two long chasing the spoon. looks like a bunch of naughty teenagers chasing a nerd for lunch money.

so the wife comes looking for me and says that lunch is on, i am a little worn out by now. drove from 4 in the morning to get there by 12 or so. so i pick up rod and all and head to the cafeteria, coffee shop whatever.

during lunch, i request the waiter for some atta, being a polite kumaoni he immediately agrees. as we finish the great butter chicken (not we as the wife and her friend are vegetarian), with endless butter naan, my atta arrives. now the coincidence of finding rasogolla on the desert makes a shiver run down my spine. it seems like an omen, i can almost hear alibhai, gavin and aif's voices. so i slam the atta into the rasogollah juice in my katori.

coming back to the lake, I am splashed out of my senses by the crude yahoo's who frequent such places. give them a lake and they will throw stones into it all day. i can understand skimming stones on the surface artfully but what's with clomping the largest rock that you can find into the lake?

scanning the lake I see a pair of handliners. i realise how well they were hidden and decide to get close to their spot. i ask them about their hook size (1 or smaller this is the indian size 1), bait (atta with haldi) and weight being used (none) ahhh here is why my nuclear bait wasn't working. so i quickly remove my barrel sinker, attach hook and my red ball float (just can't get enough of these ones). i cast, grinning evilly as the poor sods don't have my secret juice on theirs. they even confirm that the lake has more rohu than mahsheer. so now I am set up about right.

i sit quietly observing what they are doing after, casting my line and staring at the float. it stares back at me, swaying gently to the beat of the lake. but then akkk it can't be...the blasted handliner one pulls out a fish from the lake. a sneak peak reveals that it is about a foot long rohu, should weigh barely a kg, the man coolly inserts it into a bag and the bag seems to be haunted, as it keeps jumping around behind him.

after a while I slide up to them for a chit chat, they are open about the shikar and tell me everything about their bait etc. they even reveal a secret...the resort actually baits its ghat for anglers. the guy says that I should just go and no sooner will i cast that the fish will jump on to my hook. i have been enjoying the experience for so long that I had forgotten that krypto hadn't had his walk and so I go back to the room, planning to get back to the lake by evening. now that I knew all the secrets :twisted .

get to the room, have some chai shai, take hyper dog out for walk. he takes me for a walk but i carefully bring him near the edge of the lake. he goes nuts exploring, tugging doing dog stuff. he runs himself till he hits his breathless best. now sounding like an adult fil actor he realises,"hey, water...the fat man forgot the leash, cool." he wades in till his belly, then decides that it is the same wet stuff, glugs a liter or so of the water and then comes panting back to me. being double coated he was telling me that he needs to be near a fan now.

so i take him back to the room and switch the table fan on, he immediately stretches out sighing in a way that only a dog can. so i wave at the wife and all and stalk off to the lake with tackle. i find a quite spot which the yahoos have left. find friendly hand lining boatman chit chat reveals that a big one took his line and went under a submerged log. i am trilled to hear that the fish are as smart as they come. he had to break his line. so i cast away with my secret sauce dipped atta. there is action for sure. i see the float moving in the characteristic manner of the minnows attack.

after a while i see the float being pulled under water, i strike, but...my line is clear. the atta is there but the fish is gone. in a strange way i am happy cause it shows that the guys are real smart. i fish the next two days with atta but except for the little guys nothing else latches on. i had put in some two hours a day for two days, as i didn't want to be selfish.
did some walking around the hills, some boating, i wish i had done some trolling but somehow didn't do it.

i enjoyed my stay but my feeling is that these lakes are being over fished. since no one releases anything they catch, I think most of the fish are gone. i saw a load of fingerlings which should get up to the kilo or so size by winter but i guess their fate would be a quick pakora platter. being near the water was actually reward enough for me and I guess I shall return in a few months.

i learnt a few things this trip. that lake fish don't need much weight, same thing in bhimtal and now here. the darn shiny pieces of metal might just work from what I have seen, with the fingelings. I think I trained more than one school to chase a spoon. I need another rod to cast further, this old shimano doesn't do more than twenty yards max. i know...i know pics but this office pc is nuts I couldn't even transfer one photograph. I shall do it tomorrow.

salaams to all and tight lines till then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

ohh heck maybe this should be inside the trips and experiences part. apologies to the mods.

dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Better luck next time. Hey! Whenever you want to pick a fight with a fish call me. It's been a long time for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Better luck next time. Hey! Whenever you want to pick a fight with a fish call me. It's been a long time for you.

I was also escaping the heat. If next week end is good with you, I shall call you 007.

Will bring the martini and olives too. :twisted:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:16 am 
Fishaholic

He Dev,

Nice report mate. We all are ready to share our success stories but fail to understand that not catching a fish is also part of angling. The best thing is you enjoyed the complete experience.

Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Just in case for your next trip, you said you struck and atta came out with the hook shows that the atta was hard. Keep it soft and your hook tip exposed and your chances of hook up will increase.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Alibhai,

You are bang on both counts. I had kept the atta overnight in the small refrigerator. Secondly my hook tip was covered. thank you for the encouragement. I will get in some more practice now that it is beginning to rain.

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

May i tell you something, Dev??
You are one heck of a story teller.
Enjoyed reading through your fishing episode.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Nice read, Dev. Looking forward to the pics.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice write up Dev.... Am sure the rosogulla will work the next time.. Just get the bait a wee bit softer....

Tight Lines and Screaming Drags,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow Dev...great write up.

I was also at Lake Resort a month or two back...and had the same experience...There is a housekeeping guy - "Prem"...he led us to these spots that you mentioned. I also observed that all the resorts on the lake had made their own spots by regularly feeding the fish. And like you...we were not able to catch anything by rod; :D however caught two small carps by the bottle handlines that Prem made for us.

All in all an amazing place to relax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you to all who liked reading it. I haven't been able to upload the pics yet, due to pc problems at home and work. Will do so by tomorrow. Most of the crew at the lake resort are very enthu, my fishing friend was a young kid with a name more fierce than his smiling visage-Bhairon Singh.

I am a little amazed at how efficient bottle, handlines are, the device seems to rule the roost from hindon to bhimtal and naukuchiatal.
ok one query to the gurus what do you mean when you say tight lines? Lots of fish biting or a general advise on how the rods should be kept?

Warm regards to all of you insane people, :-)

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Tight lines --> Means that you are out fishing and your line stays stretched due to all the fish biting (good action)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Okay gents here are the pics that I had written about.

Regards,

Dev

The lake
[URL=http://img13.imageshack.us/i/rec

Me and a friendly handliner

[URL=http://img716.imageshack.us/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Couldn't see the pics. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

I'll try again.

The baited part of the ghat.

A panoramic view of the lake.

Me and the friendly handliner.

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Pics,

but I guess you will have to resize & repost them.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Please resize the pics.