->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:09 pm 
Fishaholic

If a reel is supplied with 2 spools - one graphite and one aluminium and you wish to load these with mono and braid, which spool would you choose for the braid - graphite or aluminium ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

To me it really wouldn't make a difference. It would make a difference in their weights thought. My pref. though would be braid on aluminum and vice a versa (Considering both have the same line holding capacity.)
DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:24 pm 
Fishaholic

I like the Aluminum reel (it is stronger and more durable) so I load it with braid. The graphite reel is a bit fragile (a hard knock will crack it) so I tend to use it a lot less.

A long time ago I saw a broken graphite reel. The angler had hooked onto a monster and then made the mistake of closing the drag completely. The braid, having no stretch, just squished the reel.

Now that is a fish I want on my line!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
The braid, having no stretch, just squished the reel.

Aluminium for braid was in my mind too ... although I never imagined the above - in fact I would have thought that mono on being stretched would have compressed the spool further - like wrapping a stretched elastic band :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:26 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree with Ken, Aluminium is the 1st choice for braids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:23 pm 
Fishaholic

I would use the aluminium spool & throw out the graphite spare spool. This would prevent future hearthbreaks, line breaks & spool breaks. what is the line capacity on the spool ? I'd suggest braid if you have a small spool. I'd also suggest braid if you have a big spool :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Forget about throwing away the graphite spare spool...Instead use a Monofilement line of lesser Poundage on the graphite spool, I am telling you, you would have a blast with this lesser poundage setup...Use a 6lb line and should be good, playing a big fish with this setup is all skill and no equipment....

I usually use a 6 lb line with a lighter rod to have a blast. Just awesome when something big gets on.

Cheers,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup! I agree with Christopher.

Use the graphite reel with a lighter set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Everytime a fish hits your line & your drag comes into play, you will have issues with a graphite spool. The bigger the fish, the bigger the issues. It probably depends on what fish you target & how they feed.

I know that I had issues with a graphite spool & what I noticed that everytime I had a good sized fish on the line, the spool would not release line smoothly, but with slight jerks. This is due to the squeezing and deformation of the spool. I definately wouldnt want to lose a fish due to something like this (I learnt the hard way). According to me its best not to use it. But then again, everyone learns through experience. I now make it a point to buy reels with spare aluminum spools.