->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 am

All times are UTC+05:30

What is the best bait for novice anglers to use in South India's fresh water bodies
Spoons 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Lures 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Live Bait 77%  77%  [ 17 ]
Total votes: 22
 Post subject: Fishing 101
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:25 pm 

Hi Gang!

I'm shamelessly looking for some free education - Like I mentioned I'm not a pure breed angler - ive graduated (very slowly) from ponds to lakes and streams to rivers and from bamboo rods (no reel) and earthworms to rods and reels....so I'm hoping I can get some quick knowledge on the following;

a) when does one use lures?
b) when does one use spoons?
c) when does one use flies?
d) when does one use live bait?

Now keeping the above in mind - In India (especially the south) when and where and for what fish would one use what bait?

So technically while fishing for tilapia in a river/lake what would I use? what about cat and murrell - or for that matter carp?

Also some tips on weights and floats - distance from hook etc?

Looking forward to feedback on fishing 101 - Thanks and Appriciate all the knowledge it shall be used judiciously :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Clive,

The answers to your above questions are the real code of angling and a life time of experience is not enough to answer it. We can only suggest some general rules. The choice of Live bait vs Lure vs Spoons Vs Fly (You have left out Spinners, Poppers and Jigs) actually does not exist as far as fish is concerned. These are different style of fishing techniques and you can target same fish with equal success by using above mentioned techniques.

The logical conclusion theoretically should be that live bait should work best as all other artificial baits are but imitation of live bait but many a time you will find that artificial lure produce much better result than the live bait.

There are some established patterns and for start you should stick to them. I am listing below some of the fishes and established method of Target them ,

1- Talapia, Khawli and Mirgal Small J-Hooks with earth worm/ Atta / Larva etc. Place your hooks 4-6 inches above the bottom.

2- Rohu
Medium Round-Hooks With Atta and place your hooks on bottom.

3- Catla and Silver carp
Dont even think of targeting it . :P

4- Malli
Spoon and Spinners work best but you can use live baiting for it Also. The conventional method is bolt rig with a 6-0 to 8-0 size hook and rotten fish as bait.

5- Murrels
You can target them by almost all the methods but Spinners and Soft bait (Frogs) works best. You can live bait a frog around the edges of weed etc.
They are also known to prefer crabs but live baiting of crabs is very complicated.

6- Mahseer

Almost all north mahseer are caught on Spoons, lures, spinners or softies but In southern parts this fish is caught on Ragi or live baiting. You can live bait for them with Chilwa or Crab. Some time good mahseer is also caught on Atta (Yellow Colored) as bait.

7- Trouts

Small spinners or Flies are the most successful methods but the purist amongst the angler community will only accept flies. :roll:

There are many more fishes (I have not even started salt water) and many more techniques to target the above mentioned species but as I said these are the general rules.

In case you want to target any specific fish, feel free to ask.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:32 pm 
Fishaholic

And yes, I am not casting my vote as all the methods mentioned (Except Fly fishing which I have not tried till date) are equally successful to me.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:47 am 

What is really nice is the time you took to answer my questions, after I posted my questions i actually found interesting info on many of my questions on earlier posts and found myself thinking "for sure someone is going to comeback and tell me to navigate through the discussions and find my answers" but I was plesantly surprised at not just the reply but the detail in it....you folks are truely interested in promoting the interest and passion for fishing.....thanks Ali!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:27 pm 
Fishaholic

It depends on where you're fishing, what you think is in there, what you want to try to target and what tackle you have available.
Work that out and "which bait" should be self explainatory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:36 pm 
Fishaholic

I was here I saw the thread and I disappeared :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:22 am 
Fishaholic

I was watching you DADA :)

Good one Ali. I dont think anyone could have given a better answer.
Clive: In short your time spent fishing will teach you more than anything else, just like what I do whist at work :) PM me your email ID and I will send you some literature that could perhaps help you.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:56 pm 
Fishaholic

There was this instance when we were fishing at night at the harbor. Four guys fishing and we caught nothing. We used prawns and squid without a single hit. So I decided to practice my casting with fly fishing. With the light provided by a street light I casted and caught around 30 Dory snappers & garfish in 2 hours. Others who dint know about fly fishing thought it was some kind of black magic!!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen or fishermen (whichever you prefer to be called)

Had a great day fishing for Rohu the other day at a lake in bangalore - caught my fisrt fish on a reel and rod - used to be a bamboo-float-earth worm type till the forum came along!

We used a bait of bread mixed with a paste that Chris called "Calcutta Masala" any alternatives for Rohu other than Calcutta Masala

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Clive wrote:
any alternatives for Rohu other than Calcutta Masala

try some milkmaid or coconut milk and sugar with bread (only white part) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:08 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
Clive wrote:

try some milkmaid or coconut milk and sugar with bread (only white part) :D

And end up catching Tilapia [smilie=giggle.gif] . Just kidding.

Dada is giving out the secrets huh :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:40 pm 
Fishaholic

I dont know how far this is true, but I heard someone say that he used WD40 sprayed on paper for fishing. :roll: I say WD40 is too expensive to waste like that. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Adolph wrote:
I dont know how far this is true, but I heard someone say that he used WD40 sprayed on paper for fishing. :roll: I say WD40 is too expensive to waste like that. :lol:

ha ha ha are you serious. next time i'll try bare hooks with pif paf :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:23 pm 

Tried WD40 on mackerel [smilie=blush.gif] - didn't make a blind bit of difference that day, still blanked it. Buddies (you know who you are) threatened to report me for marine polution.

tight lines
Allan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:27 pm 

granta wrote:
Tried WD40 on mackerel [smilie=blush.gif] - didn't make a blind bit of difference that day, still blanked it. Buddies (you know who you are) threatened to report me for marine polution.

tight lines
Allan

you are NOT supposed to fry mackerel in WD40... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:59 am 
Fishaholic

Clive wrote:

Ali Bhai is the best person to answer that he told us something last time and it worked awesome for rohu....

1- Roasted Gram (Bhuna Chana) Powdered 100 Grams
2- Cardamom (Elaychi) Powdered 4-6 Nos.
3- Rice Powder 50 Grams
4- Shugar Powdered 50 Grams

Make dough of above ingredients with some Ghee / white of egg and use some bright color if you want to make your bait more presentable. make sure the dough is very soft