->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:23 am 
Fishaholic

I just got back from 5 day Singapore trip last night. I had to go down to the tackle shops to pick my Son a good spinning rod, which I did and while at it I just could not resist picking myself an Apache GT popping rod. Though I did not have to, this rod just drew me to it and I could not help my-self left the shop with a wallet slightly lighter.

This shop caters/specializes to GT popping they have several self manufactured GT poppers that they sell there and these lures are not cheap. Another thing that caught my eye was this Daiwa Saltist reel, I almost picked this one up and the only thing that stopped me was the fact that it was made in China. I discussed this with the shop-owner, himself who seemed to be a Saltiga fan, (he is into GT popping as well) and explained the problems and insecurities I had about Chinese made reels, he told me that this reel is really good it has top quality parts however he did not insist and he realized he was talking to someone who knew what he was talking about and was not aggressively putting the hardiness assurance across but he did say you should not have a problem with this reel. Anyway it features a 15KG drag (where as a Saltiga has a 30KG drag) the reel features Aluminum Alloy Body, Sideplate & Rotor, features include:
• 6.2:1 High Speed Gear Ratio
• Digigear Digitally designed stainless and bronze alloy gearing
• 5 Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings and 1 Roller Bearing
• Manual Bail Return
• Bail Locks during casting
• Airbail Tubular Stainless Steel Bail
• Machined Aluminum Handle
• Waterproof Drag and Body
• Forged Aluminum Spool with Blue Titanium Nitride Ring
• Zero Friction Main Shaft for added power
• Dual Full Time Anti Reverse
Overall I liked the feel of this reel and may consider getting myself to test, however it is not cheap and just to merely test something I am a bit apprehensive. Has anyone purchased this reel and tested it out with some large fish? If yes I would also like to know approximately how many times this reel has been used?

Thanks,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Pandim has used it and he has put it up for sale in the fishing equipment section,

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Dilip, I noticed that, I was looking at the larger model, I have Saltigas and Van Stall (15kg drag). The Van Stall needs to be broken in yet, it still feels like your are stirring molasses because it is a fully sealed water proof reel. Going for this (Saltist) reel was an Impulse thing, I will most likely go in for another Saltiga or Stella next.

Stella and Saltiga is not a reel we all can afford, I was hoping that by making this post people with experience would/could suggest other reels that come close to the Stella and Saltiga that are more affordable. I know I had recommended the Daiwa Catalina to Godferry but that reel also goes only up to 4500.

What was the reel you used to take that GT Dilip? Was it a Penn SS 8500?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:26 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
What was the reel you used to take that GT Dilip? Was it a Penn SS 8500?

yup, it was a penn 8500SS but with modified carbontex drags that was the real key to stop the fish also have you seen the shimano twin power sw, after Stella they are next in line thats what all the GT guys from malaysia and singapore are talking about,

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby, I haven't seen this reel yet, but probably will get to use it quite soon. Was interested to see how it holds out here as a popping reel. Will probably fish it at between 8 to 10 kilos drag and see how it performs. Still like the Stellas but they're winding out to be a little too delicate for repeated hammering. Have just sent all our Stellas to Singapore to be serviced before my next season.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bob,
My son got me the Saltist 6000H from Malaysia.Yes,Expensive as you say.
The great thing about this reel,is that it has a 33lb. drag, besides the other features as in the 4500.
The 4500 has a 22lb.drag.
The guys on the Australian forum were all praise for this reel, and hence I asked for it.
At my age I feel it a bit heavy,and have not used it yet.
I have half a mind to flog it, but just love its features.
Syd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Good to know Sydney, was the reel made in Malaysia?

MM, the shop that I saw the reel in Caters to GT popping, you should see the rod I got, casting wt 100 - 180 grams, real beauty, you can really give those huge poppers a go, some protection for the index finger would help but I could never cast with my finger taped.

You will be interested to note that this guy said the Saltiga series is gaining in popularity and is evolving into a more robust reel (he was not selling any Saltigas). Furthermore the told me that the Shimano Japan were getting their major parts for the Stella like gears etc from Daiwa, if one of those companies was buying reel gears from another I would have thought it would be the other way round. But on handling both the Stella and Stella, the Saltiga “Feels” more robust. Jeen uses both these reels; he will be able to give us some more info.

MM, A question after how many good fish (do you feel) as Stella needs to go in for severing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby, sorry I just saw this one.

Bobby wrote:

MM, the shop that I saw the reel in Caters to GT popping, you should see the rod I got, casting wt 100 - 180 grams, real beauty, you can really give those huge poppers a go, some protection for the index finger would help but I could never cast with my finger taped.

There now are some pretty decent popping rods coming out of Singapore from smaller companies and builders. Some times the ratings on the rods have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but the majority will handle GT of up to 25 or even 30kilos. Gloves are a must in this game. We've been through well over a dozen pairs here. We're working out a way to sleeve the braid for the first 3 meters or splice into heavier hollow core. A work in progress at the moment.

Bobby wrote:

You will be interested to note that this guy said the Saltiga series is gaining in popularity and is evolving into a more robust reel (he was not selling any Saltigas). Furthermore the told me that the Shimano Japan were getting their major parts for the Stella like gears etc from Daiwa, if one of those companies was buying reel gears from another I would have thought it would be the other way round. But on handling both the Stella and Stella, the Saltiga “Feels” more robust. Jeen uses both these reels; he will be able to give us some more info.

I've always gone with Shimano over Daiwa, but in the last 3 years my views have somewhat shifted. The Stella is a brilliant reel no doubt and immaculately engineered....which might just be its downfall. They're far too delicate, specially roller bearing, the finish on the body of the reel and the water-proof washers. Initially we were all skeptical about the Saltigas when they came out and there were reports of the stems breaking under pressure. I know a guy firsthand who lost a decent sized blue fin tuna when the stem of his reel snapped after a couple of hours of fighting the fish. Apparently Daiwa have sorted out the issue and the Dog Fights/Expeditions now are fine. My next reel will probably be the Daiwa Expedition, it can double as a popping and jigging reel. Since I like using larger poppers the low gear ratio isn't really an issue.

Bobby wrote:

MM, A question after how many good fish (do you feel) as Stella needs to go in for severing?

She's going in for the first time, after a couple of years. Fish... I have no idea Bobby :-) I fish a lot. The Stella has been good and never let me down once while fighting a fish.
I have a bust roller bearing near the bail arm, the bearings on the handle knob have ceased and I have no idea what else... waiting to hear from Singapore. I am rough with my reels and I hardly have the time to sit and open them out and oil/grease and fiddle. I need them working all the time. Will probably keep the Stella next season and then let go of it.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bob
Yes, the reel was made in China.The finish is too good for a Chinese make and the reel is very smooth.
I guess Daiwa maintains a quality control.
I always thought that Shimano made the best gears. In my younger days I had a ten speed cycle and
the gears were Shimano, and they were considered to be the best. Never ever had a problem with the gears.
Syd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks MM and Sydney,

The Stella does feel delicate you are correct, what put me off Shimano, is when I wanted spares for my Tiagra? (they just would not get back to me) and the first Stella I picked up had the bail knocking the handle when spinning at certain points. Unbelievable, but true, experienced this first hand. Flipside, I have never had a problem with a Daiwa. Albiet all my Game reels are Penn International II, Shimano, Everol and Fin-Nor I somehow never picked up a Daiwa Game reel.

I heard about some problems with the Saltiga as well, in fact I had posted a picture somewhere on IA of a busted Saltiga.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby, Well lets see what happens... We've sent 4 reels to Singapore (3 Stellas and a Twin Power). The irritating bit is we want to go out fishing and have no reels :cry:
Have you heard of the new Tuff Tackle reels? Have a couple of them as well, so may use them tomorrow.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:52 pm 
Fishaholic

No Not Tuff Tackle, I like the name though...at this point in time fishing for me is an unaffordable luxury, that is the reason I am posting so much. I would rather be on the water. There were times when I used to fish every day of the week. Now I take the kids out fishing, Hong Kong just does not have the places to drive me into serious fishing. Let us know how the new reels do…would be interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 pm 
Fishaholic

I'll send you a PM with the details. I'm back on the forum as I haven't much fishing left here. Done for the season. Time to go home and chase mahseer and murral :D

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM
Let me know when you are in India, mainland,
Would like to join on on your chase for mahseer.
Say hi to Darren.
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Ravi, how are you? Long time.... Back in June. We've got a trip planned to go and fish with Thomson. Sometime then, want to go back after those murral. As of mahseer no real fixed plan.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: Bait,tackle and tactics
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi there guys, this is my first post .

I have just returned from a fishing trip to Groote Eylandt (Northern
Territory, Australia) where we fished entirely for pelagics (trevally, queenfish
and tuna).

The spinning reels I used were a new Stella 6000 and a Stradic 6000, both of
which were stretched to their limits with locked drags as we had to get the fish into the boat before the sharks got them.

After 3 days of fishing, I returned them to Shimano for servicing and was
surprised to be told that the Stella had some gear issues that needed sorting out, whereas the much cheaper Stradic (the old, white coloured made in Japan model) had no issues whatsoever.

As these were used for trolling as well as casting, I have since bought 2 Penn
7500SS (made in China) Spinfisher for the trolling duties, as the sales
person (whom I know well) has assured me that these Penns are performing well and have the superb HD 100 drag.

So I feel that the Stella is overrated and the old Stradic is not being made anymore. Hence, I will see how the Penn perform for trolling and casting
poppers. Will let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:52 pm 
Fishaholic

King thanks for the info mate welcome to IA

Post subject: Bait,tackle and tactics
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:36 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Bobby,

With regard to more affordable spinning reels in sizes larger than 4500,suitable for popper fishing for GTs etc.,
the Aussie guides I used on my recent trip for pelagic fishing were using a lot of the Shimano Spheros models.

The latest Shimano brochure shows that Spheros in the
sizes 14000 and 18000 have a drag capacity of 20 kilos (45 lbs. apprx.)
and should be able to handle the stress of popper fishing.

A quick check with one of the largest tackleshop
in Sydney reveals that these cost A$230 and
A$265 respectively here and it is possible that these prices could be bettered in Singapore/Malaysia for our Indian buyers.

The Penn 7500ss Spinfisher costs A$140 here in Sydney and is again
spoken of well by the locals.

I hope this is of some help to anyone deciding to purchase reels that
are good value and can take some punishment.
Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject: Banax GTZ
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:42 pm 

Has anyone of you used a Banax GTZ. I was in Malaysia recently and I hear that it is a reel of choice for Malaysian anglers who chase GTs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I have said this before. I would rather have one of each than both of same ( Stella & Saltiga). As for a stella ,We have used the 2006 models and are into the 4th year without a hitch and no drag washer replacements . The same story with the saltiga Dog Fight, except, I changed the washers to carbon tex after two years ,since I read a lot about the necessity to change the Drag washers on the GT forums ( THough I never had the drag sticking on a sustained run).

A lot depends on how you use your tackle. The stellas and Saltigas are predominantly designed for GT . Where you have a very specific tackle configuration consisting of the right braid( Test), Right leader, matching popper weight and right knot, and finally the right drag.

Now when the reel is rated to withstand or deliver a drag up to 44Lbs or 60 lbs it means that is the limit of the drag washers. No body can fish a 60lb drag ( even if you have the muscles or good looks for it) since the gt popping rods are rated for some thing around 20 to 30Lb at 45 degrees. Yes you can go up ward of the drag load mentioned on the rod if you point the rod at the fish and put the entire load on the reel as may be necessary when you have a fish too close to the boat for comfort.

THe point here is even the best tackle can malfunction if not handled or understood properly.

I am not advocating for expensive tackle here. What Iam trying to say is that the best tackle can be made to look ordinary with wrong usage while substandard tackle can last longer and perform truly when used well.

Cheers ,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:18 am 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have said this before. I would rather have one of each than both of same ( Stella & Saltiga). As for a stella ,We have used the 2006 models and are into the 4th year without a hitch and no drag washer replacements . The same story with the saltiga Dog Fight, except, I changed the washers to carbon tex after two years ,since I read a lot about the necessity to change the Drag washers on the GT forums ( THough I never had the drag sticking on a sustained run).

A lot depends on how you use your tackle. The stellas and Saltigas are predominantly designed for GT . Where you have a very specific tackle configuration consisting of the right braid( Test), Right leader, matching popper weight and right knot, and finally the right drag.

Now when the reel is rated to withstand or deliver a drag up to 44Lbs or 60 lbs it means that is the limit of the drag washers. No body can fish a 60lb drag ( even if you have the muscles or good looks for it) since the gt popping rods are rated for some thing around 20 to 30Lb at 45 degrees. Yes you can go up ward of the drag load mentioned on the rod if you point the rod at the fish and put the entire load on the reel as may be necessary when you have a fish too close to the boat for comfort.

THe point here is even the best tackle can malfunction if not handled or understood properly.

I am not advocating for expensive tackle here. What Iam trying to say is that the best tackle can be made to look ordinary with wrong usage while substandard tackle can last longer and perform truly when used well.

Cheers ,

Jeen

you have just put every thing in prospective jean for every one i think, very well said . thanks a ton mate [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]