->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Get Fit Indian Anglers
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi, well the reason I am posting this topic in the Bait, Tackle and Tactics section is because this topic is about getting the Tactical advantage, The advantage of being Fit!

I have been in the fitness industry since the last 15yrs, so pardon me if I notice peoples health before I notice what they have caught or how good their tackle is, you will never see an athlete not do anything for the whole week or month and then suddenly when an event comes up, get up and leave for a sports event, what you will see him do in his time off from the sports event is train, physical training/ sports specific training thats what you will see him do.

Well my clear message to all you Indian Anglers is that if you are serious about angling and you see it as an active sport then you better consider yourself an Athlete and train...

I have seen Anglers just get up one fine day and head out for a long fishing trip when there is a holiday or long weekend, they drive for hours to reach the destination, then walk a mile on the rocks to get to their favourite spot, set up their tackle and after a few minutes of casting heavy lures they are famished, what follows is a much needed cigarette and beer break, then as the day goes by and after casting away in the hot sun the tackle starts feeling as if it weighs a ton, shoulders get sore and the back goes for toss after a decent sized fish is caught, I wonder what would happen if a GT ,Marlin or Tuna were to be caught.

Well the solution to being able to cast all day long from inshore or offshore or haul in the biggest fish of your life time and still have a strong back and then cast and troll again for another big one is simple, just do some physical exercise in the gym or at home during your time off from fishing, all it takes is 30-45 mins 2-3 times a week and please dont make work and family as an excuse as if all the millions of people that workout regularly are single and dont have jobs or business's to run.

Keep the workouts simple at home or in the gym, concentrate on doing some form of cardio(Jogging, Walking or cycling) this is ofcourse going to give you a healthy heart, good stamina to walk and fight fish all day long, for the strength exercises concentrate on your full body as in angling everything comes in to play legs for walking,standing jumping off rocks all day long, arms,shoulders, chest and back for casting and fighting a fish, abs and lower back that form the core support in all of the above.

PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING OFF ANY EXERCISE REGIME BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE MEDICAL PROBLEM'S IT COULD JUST GET MORE AGRAVATED BY CERTAIN EXERCISES.

Let me give you some simple physical exercises that you could do at home as for the guys going to the gym, your gym. instructors can consult you on the exercises to do , I am just giving the exercise names, if you do not know how to perform them just google them and you will find videos and the full info. on how to perform them.

Remember the below home exercise schedule is just a basic schedule and to be performed 2-3 times a wk.

Squats - 2 sets.
Push ups - 2 sets.
chin ups - 2 sets.
dumbell lateral raises-2 sets.
dumbell curls - 2 sets.
seated dips - 2 sets.
lower back extensions - 2 sets.
ab crunches - 2 sets.

keep the repition range from 15-20 per set.

Another angler specific exercise that I came up with and highly recommend is heavy casting, every fishing rod weighs between 200gms to a 1000gms, what you have to do is cast with a much much heavier weight 2-3 times a week so your muscles get more strength and endurance to casting all day long.
All you have to do is take a heavy iron or steel rod, I personally use a 7 foot bench press bar, hold it in the same way you hold your rod and do as many slow casting actions as possible now repeat the same with the other hand also, just to maintain the strength balance in your body, do this casting exercise 2-3 times a week and the next time you cast with your regular tackle the rod will feel like a feather and your muscles will have enough endurance to cast heavy lures all day long...

All the best guys,

Get the tactical advantage of being fit,

Get Fit Indian Anglers...

regards

Post subject: Thnaks Mate
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:02 pm 
Enlightened

Hey Dilip,

Thanks for the info and you very right when u say we (anglers) have to be fit. I have experienced my self the strain on the back, shoulders and lats after a days of fishing (fresh water :oops: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Very good advice and really nicely written, but I would love to add just that please do not limit the art of angling to physical fitness (That is just part of the game). It is much much beyond the only strength... Just my two bit of thought :wink: .

Thanx for the advice.

Regards,

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup! I think it is a must to be fit. It adds to the pleasure of the outing. We've all felt the burn after a hard climb or a long walk. Catching ones breadth normally uses up precious fishing time.

I also agree with Alibhai. Physical fitness is a must but you also need to be sharp. Which brings me to Bobby's rule - No getting drunk when you have your lines wet.

That's my two bits. happy fishing everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali and Ken I totally agree with you, and its an understood fact Angling or any other sport strength is secondary, good skills, technique and brains come first...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:40 am 

Agree with you Dilip,
My first boat trip, I used a 6 pc Shimano beast master with an 8000 aero baitrunner-all I had.
Latched onto a spaniard and died trying to reel him in...I have a fair idea what you salties go thru ;)
I was a bit surprised at your 7kg 'slow cast exercise', but I guess, it will go a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Very good advice. Thanks Dilip. I am myself overweight and have a few medical problems. My wife keeps on telling me to do some work out to stay fit. I shall start doing my work out soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you Dilip,

u've given me the best reason to get fit and stay fit..
for the passion of fishing..
my workout starts this monday..

regards,
pranav..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:52 pm 
Fishaholic

That's good advice Dilip, keeping fit should be on everyone’s list not just for anglers. However when there is a reward like a good fish to keep fit, it is something for motivation. I use a fishing trip to motivate me to exercise. For a few of us hardcore anglers who push ourselves to the limit will quickly realize the advantage of what fitness means on a REAL trip. Speaking from the negative or "lesser fit" side of the spectrum you realize quickly how much "the limit" differs between person to person. And how the added fitness in one person who can stretch the limit further can get him past a certain point either getting to in distance or accessibility (terrain) to that fish which us lesser mortals cannot get to. It is the same for Game fishing, where you need to have the stamina and skill to land those giants, standing on deck for hours at the front or top of the boat looking for “signs” can take its toll. When I fish deep sea I am always at the front looking out for action and any tell tail signs, the only time I relax is on the trip back.

Of course there are those who will say man, I fish to relax man, cast my line in the water read a nice book and wait for a fish to take the bait. The have a saying for those types it goes something like this “A worm on one end of the line and a ….at the other” will in this case we can fill the dots with “ardent reader”. Guys really no harm in this either, so what if fishing relaxes you. But for those of us who quest for that Dream fish, sitting on your behind will not help, to want to get there you have to be able to get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Of course there are those who will say man, I fish to relax man, cast my line in the water read a nice book and wait for a fish to take the bait. The have a saying for those types it goes something like this “A worm on one end of the line and a ….at the other” will in this case we can fill the dots with “ardent reader”. Guys really no harm in this either, so what if fishing relaxes you. But for those of us who quest for that Dream fish, sitting on your behind will not help, to want to get there you have to be able to get there.

Bobby there couldn't have been a better addition to my article, also pranav and apoo all the best guys, its never too late to start,

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:25 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree Dilip Fishing is more fun when you are fit [smilie=thatworks.gif] I have seen many anglers who groan for three days after one day of active fishing
[smilie=coolup.gif].... hup 1234...... hup 1234.....hup 1234... Comeon guys :wink: lets march to Dilip Sir's GYM, any discount on mass enrollment sir? {just kidding} :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the info Dilip,
FITNESS= HEALTH :arrow: HEALTH IS WEALTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:05 am 
Fishaholic

Woww!!!!! Looking at this post lost me 100 calories............ Reading will definitely loose me another 1000......... (Sorry I will read it tomorrow) By the topic I totally agree with you. Physical fitness is very important. Angling requires good wisdom agreed but you have to be able to get there to get it........... Get off your asses and get going.......... Exercising eliminates unnecessary problems like acidity, unrequired gas (which leads to excessive farting), cholesterol etc. and it makes you feel good. We are designed to work with all parts of our body and not just sitting and relaxing our brains (while we sit and run our brains the rest of the days). Wish everyone good health.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:20 pm 
Fishaholic

I realy appriciate Dilip's effort of writing such a post.
This is absolutely right to say that when you are fit you enjoy more, not only fishing but every bit of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Dilip,

hopefully I'll be fit to catch up with you. Should be down for 2 weeks Oct (end) - Nov.

Since I have called it a season (I have had the crappiest season since the start of this year), I have decided to strat training on the weekends instead of fishing.

regards,
Keyur

PS; the way out will be to use lighter fishing gear & flick the wrist instead of the arm / shoulder cast)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Sanju, Prakash and keyur,

Stay fit,

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
PS; the way out will be to use lighter fishing gear & flick the wrist instead of the arm / shoulder cast)

What about people who have CTS should they give up angling :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:07 pm 
Fishaholic

What does CTS stand for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:09 pm 
Fishaholic

apoo wrote:
What does CTS stand for?

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 pm 
Enlightened

nice post keep up :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Keep fit doesnt mean Big muscles its the ability to go that extra mile Dilip has started a very interesting thread.I keep fit by walking as much as i can and do light weights to keep the arms in shape and ready for firing my 14 foot surf caster.Swimming is a very good excercise and a good insurance in case you go in the drink.While fishing at Aguada in April i seen a gentleman wearing a life vest which i think was a very good idea because however good a swimmer you are those swells can pound you to pulp very quickly.And guys eat and drink sensibly there is no fishing from hospital windows .STAY FIT&FISH.......the rest of the Fs doesnt matter:)))))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:34 pm 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
Keep fit doesnt mean Big muscles its the ability to go that extra mile

Well said, Heliox,

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:24 pm 
Enlightened

Angling is a good exercise :lol: walking from the car towards the sea then carrying all the equipments you needed then preparing the tackle. casting retrieving if you are using dead bait changing the bait if a fish is hooked fighting and landing it actually its equal to doing exercise.And one thing we gotta remember is drink plenty of water and enjoy the sunset :roll: :roll:

And i agree with haliox "Keep fit doesn't mean Big muscles its the ability to go that extra mile "

And abt life jackets better test that thing before you go for some serious angling i know an incident happened on our ship we got a supply of new life jackets from china and for testing it we put it on our swimming pool and after 2-3 hrs it was partially immersed according to solace (safety of life at sea ) a life jacket should hold a weight and stay afloat for minimum 24 hrs i hope you guys get it
nice topic guys keep up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Keeping fit is good. Jesus ! what a combination Brains, Skill and Muscles.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
Hi,

Keeping fit is good. Jesus ! what a combination Brains, Skill and Muscles.

Jeen

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You forgot good looks Jeen :lol: :lol: :lol: