->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hi!
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi all anglers,
i've recently started angeling, specialy shore. Right now i am using an Ugly Stick MH 10' Luer:1 to 6onz. Long hours of casting is not possible. Pls advice on another spinning rod to cast long enough from the shore but still light in weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Mario,

Are you trying to spin from the shore??? Not a good idea. I mean do you cast lures from shore??

Anything above 9' is good for surf or bait fishing from the rocks. For spinning try and use 7' to 8' rods. You have multiple option in these kind of rods. You may go for 1 piece rod but carriage will be issue, if not you may go with 2 piece rods. Go in for cork handle rods as they tend to be more lighter. Couple these rods with good reels that can give you good casting distance, like say Daiwa Tierra (I own one), Shimano Stradic FI, Shimano Spheros SB, Daiwa Emblem PRO, etc.

For Shore:
Get yourself a Daiwa Sealine Surf Spinning Rod (SLS0902MHFS) and get one of the above Reels else if you are low on budget you may even go in for Daiwa DF100A Giant (30 oz) but low on cost, this one I would suggest use for surf fishing would not be ideal for spinning.

Hope this helps :)

DeZZ

Post subject: Thanks DeZZ.
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

i didnt put it in the right way i actually ment from the rock. pardon me still an ameture. Stil got the idea thanks for the adv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:46 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Hi Mario,

Are you trying to spin from the shore??? Not a good idea. I mean do you cast lures from shore??

DeZZ

What is wrong in spinning from the shore :?: :roll:

Regards,

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:03 pm 
Fishaholic

I ditto Ali
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Don't know. I spin from shore very often.

Master Dezz is confused. Once he reads this, I'm sure he will call me up.

Mario, according to me, for guys spinning from the coast in mumbai, a 7ft rod, max 20lb class with a matching (balanced) reel 4000 to 5000 series is the best. Once you masted this, you can go in for lighter rods & finer line (lower strength) & have a blast. From what I have seen in Bombay its is 'Yank the fish out' almost everytime. Few people play the fish, which is a challenge in itself from the rocks.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:31 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
teritex wrote:
Hi Mario,

DeZZ

Regards,

Ali

Well here's a bit of clarification on what I actually wanted to say. When I mean shore, if you have considerable dept of water from shore it should be good, else I have experienced lure hitting the bottom. Not too sure if that helps.

Keyur: This I said coz I tried this near the palace where the right side is good for spinning but near the shore even the 3' diving lures hit the sand as far as 20 meters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:05 pm 
Enlightened

hey mario buy Shakespeare wild cat good road can cast pretty long distance and its a medium action and it is cheap, will last pretty long and Daiwa sweep fire 3500 or 4500 will blend with the road perfectly

Post subject: Bait,tackle and tactics
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:14 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Mario,

What sort of line are you using? monofilament? and what strength?

If possible, switch over to braided line (which will have much lower
diameter than mono for the same strength).

You will then be able to get extra distance with the same setup that you have at present.

Furthermore, you could also go down in size/weight for the lure you are
casting yet still achieve a reasonable cast distance wise.

By the way, what lures are you using from the shore?Metals only or hard
bodied lures?as these will also have an effect on casting distance.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks all of you for your advice. My tackel comprises of Big water ugly stick 10'MH, Pen 650ssm, fireline braid 50lb and skitter pop n shalow divers. Problem lies with casting hard bodied in 3/4, 1/2 ounce range. I would like to know which rod would help cast lighter luers.
I realy feel lucky to be on this forum . The exp shared by other anglers post becomes a lesson worth learning . Once again thank you all .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Mario,

You use lighter tackle as you lower your lure weight, your rod/reel and line should match your lure to make the most of it so that they compliment each other.

The best minnow type casting lures I have come across are the Yo-Zuri allie-magnet type lures, perfect action in the water and fantastic weight transfer during casting.

Nothing wrong in casting from shore. :lol:

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:41 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Mario,

Thanks for clarifying the equipment you have at present. Whoever set you
up with this has done a good job,in my opinion, for the heavier side of beach fishing.
I believe that for beginners, an Ugly Stik combined with a Penn Spinfisher
reel is the right combo for Indian conditions, as these are robust and reliable products needing minimal care.

Consequently, I suggest that you look for a similar combination for your lighter outfit.

Looking through the Shakespeare (Ugly Stik manufacturer) site, you will
find (in their Big Water series rods) Model BWS1100 - this is a 2 piece,7ft.
rod rated for 10-25lb line and able to cast 1/2-3 oz. lures.

If you mate this with a Penn 360 Slammer reel (which has a 20lb. braid
capacity of 290 yds.), you should have an outfit that is reasonably priced,
tough,easily portable and suitable for your needs.

Good luck.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:38 am 
Fishaholic

Thank you , very much. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:25 pm 

teritex wrote:
angler_ali wrote:
teritex wrote:
Hi Mario,

DeZZ

Regards,

Ali

Well here's a bit of clarification on what I actually wanted to say. When I mean shore, if you have considerable dept of water from shore it should be good, else I have experienced lure hitting the bottom. Not too sure if that helps.

Keyur: This I said coz I tried this near the palace where the right side is good for spinning but near the shore even the 3' diving lures hit the sand as far as 20 meters.

@ Teritex: whats sauce for the goose is not for the gander...Maybe Mario is NOT fishing near the 'palace'?
Locale dictates a different setup.Many places in NSW, Australia, there's some superlative rocks, where major pelagics run.The technique there is to 'cast far and retrieve furious' Spinning, ofcourse.
Mario would have to choose his lures and technique to cast from the shore, if thats what he's doing at the moment...
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear mario
I am a beginner myself but from rocks or from the mouth of estuary I find the combo of 7 to 8 ft rod with a 4000 or 5000 series reel is ideal . I myself use a Tsunami travel rod (3 Piece) with Daiwa tierra 4000 or some time Cabela's salt striker SS50 and pen two piece spinning rod . I really like that Tsunami travel rod it is really very light and extremely strong. you can also look at the shimano Fx series medium heavy rod 8 ft or 9 ft(two piece) with hyperloop 4000fb in the IA shope
tight lines
Rajat [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mario i dont see anything wrong with your set up,guess you are fighting with rod while you cast,the lures you are using are just too light.use heavier lures intially so you get the hang of the rod use the pendulum effect to shoot your lure out rather then a forced cast which sometimes will have the rod out of your hand.Casting is a skill and requires patience and practise its not good to blame your instrument if you cannot play good music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:42 pm 
Enlightened

GUys, where can i get the daiwa giant reel? have tried all the places i know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:50 pm 
Fishaholic

vashi mako wrote:
GUys, where can i get the daiwa giant reel? have tried all the places i know.

Pm me your email id mate