->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Another newbie question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:11 pm 
Fishaholic

I have one reel with me at present. Problem is, when I want to change the hook, weight or the float - it means that I have to cut the line and redo the entire package...for me quite a challenge still.

Is it possible to have some loops on the line where I can "sort of" hang the float, weight and the hook. This ought to save line and effort.

Pls guide.

Thanks,
MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi there,

What you could do is tie a loop (figure 8 knot) at the end of you main line, and use a snap swivel on your rigs so you can easily detach your rig from the main line. Most importantly you should have your rigs ready even before you go fishing as this saves you lots of time. You need to decide what sort of fish you could probably get on the spot and prepare the rigs accordingly. Rigs may vary from fish to fish and from structure to structure as well we water bodies.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:32 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree with dezz,
MM you have to prepare your rigs well in advance at the least four of them and when you reach the fishing spot attach a swivel at the end of your mainline and tie the rig to the other end of the swivel. this way whenever you want to change your rigs just change it from the other end of the swivel you've got only one knot to tie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys...have started working on it... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Make rigs whenever you have free time at home.

This is when you can experiment and try out new things. Wrap these rigs around a thick piece of thermacol or soft wood. And carry them in a box.

Then do what Lionheart and Dezz have said. Tie on a good quality and strong snap swivel.

This way you'll have get to fish as you'll always be up and ready in a flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ken. Have blocked this weekend for it :)...
Where can I get the snap swivels...I checked on net and found that there are various types (snap, crane and ball). Which one is recommended or is this based on preference?
I am planning to goto Bhakra soon...will use these rigs then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

MM,

use the double surgeons loop for all mono / fluoro knots & while using braid use the bimini twist or use a surgeons loop, but instead of double, loop it 5 times. Beware that, at times even 4 loops the knot can slip off a braid line.

I attach all my hooks onto my line with a surgeons loop as it enables a quick change for different sizes.

What you have to remember is that any knot made on your mono / fluoro line weakens the line subsantially & any knot on a braid line strengthens it. Different knots affect the strength of the mono / fluorocarbon in different ratios. Make sure that you have the right knot for the right application & also that you are aware of the overall strength of the line. (Example: You may use a 20lb line, but the strenght at the knot (reduced by 30%) will actually rate the line to be good only for 14lb)

The bimini twist (knot) is a tricky knot, but the profile enables it to slip through your rod guide easily. However, you will have to tie this at home.
Its good to practise knots in your spare time with some old wasted line. Once you master important knots, try tying them in the dark.

Regarding the swivels, I use the barrel swivels. While heavy fishing I use double barrel swivels (okuma) which I picked up from europe.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Keyur...am planning to learn about the knots; infact found few good links in the forum that I am planning to use...Seems soon I will post a query for that as well... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok...so I went to this site which shows "animated loops". I understood that:
Option A: on the main line I need "dropper loop" in between for weight and "surgeon loop" for the hook. This way I can have different loops to attach my stuff (heheheehe my PJ)
Option B: It can only be the surgeon loop on the main line and I can have different "rigs" ready to attach; containing both weight and hook.

So far so good. Now comes another newbie question, since I have not tried the actual knotting...I have to learn a knot which I use to attach the "rig" with main line. Reason for this query is that I want to be sure that when I want to "un-knot" it, I should be able to do that.
So, what do you suggest?

Thanks - MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 pm 
Fishaholic

MM - Millimeter :) Just Kidding :)

What you can do is on the main line you can make a loop using a double uniknot or a figure 8 knot and attach a snap swivel using a cat paw knot

(Ref: http://walsinghams.com/images/snap%20swivel.jpg)

do the same loop at the other end of the rig and tied a swivel using a cat paw knot. This way you can attach/detach the rig from the snap.

Hope this helps

DeZZ