[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Bengali tackle - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:27 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Bengali tackle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi all ,
Got this bengali style rod and reel. Dont know how to setup. How to load line, how the drag works and how to cast .
Please help !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Why do I have a feeling that you have a right reel on the wrong rod or the wrong reel on the right rod. I mean either ways its wrong :)

The ROD looks like a fly rod, and the reel is a bait casting one. You either need a fly fishing reel or that rod or a bait casting rod for that reel. Never seen/used a bengali tackle ever. I most probably could be wrong in my perception.

Cheers
DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi DEZZ !
Combination of the rod and reel could not be wrong in any probability because it was bought as one setup (combo). The rod looks like a fiber or carbon material but actually is made of bamboo.
Lets wait for the bongs to arrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:59 pm 
Fishaholic

I had one of these early in my life. They are hell.
1. Just wind the line on the reel after tie it down. Make sure you tie it down tight or it will slip.
2. The drag is the little 'ships wheel' under the winding lever. Tur it one way and it will tighten the drag. the opposite way will do the opposite.
3. With a loose drag thread the line through the guides and tie and then rig up with whatever set up you like. These work best with floats./
CASTING (The hellish part)
1. Pull out as much line off the reel and lay it gently on the ground.
2. Place the rod down.
3. Pick up the line and cast it out with your hand.

The rod and reel only come handy once you have hooked a fish.

Hell I tell you. Lots of tangles. Lots of frustration. But great fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 am 
Fishaholic

How strong is the outfit ?
If it's fairly heavy duty gear it could well be old (properly old) mahseer tackle and therefore colectable.
If I were you I'd get some good photo's of any makers marks and of the rod and reel individually and start doing a bit of research.
Might be worth a bob or two if marketed corectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:38 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:37 am 
Fishaholic

Is that rod bamboo or cane?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:58 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby
Rod is very well painted so diificult to tell but i belive it should be cane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:13 am 
Fishaholic

I Still Fish with them. It’s a lot of fun. To be frank I never knew any other kind of setup existed till Abhijeet (spoon angler) introduced me to spinning reels. They are very strong and my dad has caught a 5 Kilo Katla on one of the rods. Has to be fished with a float and works best in lakes and ponds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:27 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree RoS.. Its good fun to use these reels and rods and just adds to the nostalgia of the entire experience.. I have seen catlas of upto 30kgs being caught with this set up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:14 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:46 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali, I have one 2 PC rod and reel.. that is over 25 yrs old.. my first. Will post the pics soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi GRC

now that's a comparison, 10 kg Gt or 10 kg Catla!!!

Pandim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:01 pm 
Fishaholic

GRC.. I have seen anglers landing 20 KG + catla. on gear that will not get you a GT of 10 kg even if you are the luckiest person in the world... I have fought a fish for over 90 mins on a 10 lb tackle with size 12 hooks and almost landed it... Trust me in same tackle and size of fish in saltwater the fight will last 3 -5 secs.

Here is a pic of 12 KG catla on 25 lb line.. get me a GT of that size.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:34 am 
Fishaholic

i have used this setup too and i agree that this rod is very durable and the reel is good too. i am using this type of reel in 1 of my rod and landed almost every freshwater fish.

this setup is available here in Nagpur.

Regards,
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:56 am 
Fishaholic

Please understand what Gavin is saying guys, he is saying it does not matter what fish you catch a Rohu, Katla or a GT it is the anglers skill that comes first.

A good angler with bad tackle is better than a bad angler with good tackle.

A good angler with good tackle is better than a good angler with bad tackle.

I know us salties get really tickled when someone compares a fresh water fish with its salt water counterpart :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:07 am 
Fishaholic

Just to stroke this little fire.
Saltwater fish vs freshwater fish. For one you need muscle in your tackle. For the other you need muscle in your head. Which one goes where is for you to go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:33 am 
Enlightened

Guys, I have seen one old timer use a similar setup(in fact he had a 4' rod) with a 6lb mono line (not imported but Calcutta make). He landed an 6kg and 7kg rohu :shock: on the same setup and typical Bengali style of fishing (the Bengali fishing technique was explained to me by my friend). So i think this is a pretty good setup but a little cumbersome when using.

Even i have a same rod (5' 2 piece) which i bought for 250 rs and i use it with a plastic spinning reel. I usually give to my friends who want to try fishing first time & don't know anything abt rods and reels

Regards,
Vijay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Just for your refrence guys..

Mr. Leo Cloostermans has to his credit world record of landing Atlantic Blue marlin on line strength of.

A)- 573 lb Blue marlin on 4lb test strength line.
B)- 248.5 lb Blue marlin on 6lb test strength line.
C)- 381 lb Blue marlin on 8lb test strength line.
D)- 604 lb Blue marlin on 12lb test strength line.

Regards,

Ali. :shock:

Saki,

Can you find out the best cane rod(Lot of backbone) with a suitable reel from calcutta. Now it is becoming an obsession to land some saltwater fishes with using this old setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:11 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks for the update Manish.. Come to think of it, I might just use the old set up tomorrow...

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:09 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:19 am 
Fishaholic

The real question is 'how long did each of these fights last?'. Days I imagine.

Fantastic fisherman to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:09 am 
Fishaholic