->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:08 am 
Fishaholic

Recently Bobby had adviced to go in for Japanese/US/European/Thai/Korean (in about this sequence) manufactured spinning reels and avoid Chinese reels. Can we get the vote for the best reels we can buy in (a) sub US$100, (b) around US$150 category? Is buying a saltwater spinning reel a better idea as they are more robust in construction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:28 am 
Fishaholic

A robust reel is a good idea as many people still get into the habit on winching a fish at times.

Well engineered v/s overengineered, the difference boils down to cost, the more engineering that goes into the reel will always be a cost enhancing factor. I would go in for an over engineered reel if I could afford it, after all what is an over enineered reel, my take, it is something more robust with more features, but when "they" reffer to overengineered they mean more robust. So what species you target will come into play. Take for E.g. a Daiwa Saltiga, it is an overkill for Barramundi but you need it for those very large GT. I would rather have an overengineered reel than an under engineered one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby, in context of our small Mahseer reel (12 lbs/ 250 yards) and large Mahseer reel (20 lbs / 250 yards) any specific sub US $150 model which stands out ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashok,

New reels are made smaller and more robust to take the thinner diameter and stronger braided lines. At US$ 150 you should get a good Japanese made reel. I have not been shopping for reels and looking at new models like I used to. If someone mentions something specific about a reel that catches my fancy I look it up. I have 40 plus reels so I only buy something special more to collect than to actually fish with. For fishing (spinning) I tend to stick to 3 - 4 reels that I like depending on where and what I am after.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:43 am 
Fishaholic

The one of the most important feature in a reel is its drag. The main fish fighting is done by Rod (Not Always :wink: ) so while buying a reel consider these points.
1) What are you targeting.

2) how much line you want on yous reel.

3) How much drag you want to apply on the fish. Enhancing your drag with replacing advance washers and making it real smooth is the key. A low end reel can be made into a super setup by investing into it and maintaining the same.

We all are getting into a race of buying high end engineered equipments which puts a big hole in our pockets. It is not that GTs and other monstrous were not landed before the advent of these equipment . The best place where we can invest heavily is our skill and it does not cost us a dime. :wink:

Regards,

Ali. :P

My dream is to land a monster of a fish on cane rod and old Drag less reels where you have to play the fish by controlling the anti reverse and fighting the fish by leaver . 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:15 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
Bobby, in context of our small Mahseer reel (12 lbs/ 250 yards) and large Mahseer reel (20 lbs / 250 yards) any specific sub US $150 model which stands out ?

Hi Ashok,

In 150USD range, I would suggest the following reels, as I have used both of them and they have served well.
(12 lb / 250 yards of mono)
Okuma Sailina SA 50 or Daiwa Freams 4500 (I have the SA 80 and have been using it for saltwater since three years now without any problem).

(20 lbs / 250 yards): Finnor OFS 65, Salina SA 80.

The salina will cost you about 90 to 100 USD.

Also have a look at Penn Conquer, you will get it cheaper on EBay. I have 4000 and the 7000. used them on my last few trips and so far they look good with nice smooth HT100 drag.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:51 pm 
Fishaholic

As far as spinning in Saltwater goes, the Daiwa Freams is my workhorse, I only have good things to say about this reem.

Penn Spinning Reels - BEWARE :!: Albiet I still use my old SS450 for freshwater and light saltwater and it has never given me any trouble, but this is when these reels were made in the US. New ones are Chinese made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

The Penn Conquer is also made in china so is the Salina.

After three years of loyal service from my Salina [smilie=hearts.gif] , it has become my lucky reel and is still working great. Have taken numerous (100’s) inshore fish on it including couple of big barras and a 17.5 Kg. grouper

My freams is made in Thailand and is as smooth as when I brought it 2 years back, sand and salt it has seen all but still works like new.

Honestly I also liked the Conquer (much better that the sargus I have). Very light smooth cranking with 10 BB and the drag is seriously good for the size. Let’s see how it holds up.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone have experience of using Quantum Boca & Catalyst PT Inshore Spinning reels. How do you rate these ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 pm 
Fishaholic

I wouldn't bother trying to avoid reels that happen to be made in China, but I would definatly avoid low end cheap reels that are made there.
VanStaal, Shimano and many other top end manufacturers all have their gear built in Chinese factories and if the materials and quality control are up to the marque, there's nothing wrong with them.
Irrespective of where it is made, I would tend to go for reels with a good design and a decent track record of positive reviews.
Penn are a great example of a company that manufactures several models in several teritories and the end results are every bit as mixed as you might expect. Some of their gear is absolute junk and some is top quality workhorses - and it isn't always the price that dictates the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:38 am 
Fishaholic

Well perhaps Ken and Santosh are right, I have been staying away from them for so long that I have never tried the newer ones. The last China made Daiwa reel I purchsed for someone was about 6 years ago and I had to open and fix the thing after it was used about twice. And I have my China made Penn reels to remind me of how bad they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:24 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
The last China made Daiwa reel I purchsed for someone was about 6 years ago and I had to open and fix the thing after it was used about twice. And I have my China made Penn reels to remind me of how bad they are.

Once bitten twice shy :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:19 pm 
Fishaholic

I would definately vote A+ for a shimano stradic FI. It has been my workhorse, even got dunked in the ocean & never failed me. Well worth the price.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Back to my question again ! Between Shimano Stradic F1 & Quantum Boca (Reel for 20lb/250 yds) which one should I pick ?

Quantum does brag about metal body construction and ceramic drag washers and magnetic bail system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:35 am 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
I would definately vote A+ for a shimano stradic FI. It has been my workhorse, even got dunked in the ocean & never failed me. Well worth the price.

regards,
Keyur

Now that is what you call tried and tested, all reels are made for fishing but the reel that stands up to harsh usage and still gets me fish, that is the reel I would invest in, as for heavy and smooth drags " Carbontex drags are just a call away"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:31 am 

The stradic is a good and tested reel, no worries. My personal farvorites are penn slammer 560 i dont think that you for the money can find a more sturdy reel, it has survied thailand, the andamans and winter fishing in the baltic sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:46 am 
Fishaholic

I have a slammer 560 live liner.. I use it for surf fishing. very nice reel for the price I paid (abt 90 USD).. :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:15 pm 
Fishaholic

I think the Salina SA80 is a good reel,but it yet has to prove itself to me.Picked up 2 for 100 Singapore $ each now thats a good deal i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Guys, just a few cents from me:

Over-the-top reels:

I met Adhek Amertha of Bali, last year. He's a well-known charter operator there, for mega GT bashing. Pak Adhek's GT poppers are now world famous. He swears by only two reels: the Saltiga and Stella. He's literally wrecked the others, including Safari and my favourite Spinfishers.

Reels for mere mortals (us!):

For extreme river fishing (jungle, rocks, timber, hard-headed mahseer!), I think the workhorses would be the Spinfishers (US made only), PennSlammers/Liveliners (yes, US only), Daiwa BG (Japan or Thailand), Finnow Ahab (#8 to #20, US only). They are heavy, and are thus suited more for bait-fishing. They are bullet-proof machines. The Ahab's drag is super smooth, even though it's only a piece of cork!

For casting lures: My favs are Daiwa Caldia Kix, Shimano Twinpower, Stradic, Technium. These reels lighter, drags are smooth and strong. You can cast lures all day. The Kix is especially light, and has survived three years of jungle river trips.

Bargain reels? [smilie=sadlook.gif]

I normally go for mid-range or higher. You cant tell when that fish-of-a-lifetime's gonna take your lure, so your tackle better be up to it!

Still, I've had a few that went beyond their price tag: Sedona, Sahara, and Banax GT. I used a Banax GT 5000 on scores of mekong cats, testing my tackle to the limits. The angler lost...I needed Thai massage after that torrid weekend! :-)

The old Sedona did very well too. I hooked a large spotted ray and played it for an hour (on 6-lb line, arrgh!). The reel 'sang' for all that time, as if nothing happened. It has my deep respect! :shock:

Hope this helps!

JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Ashok is a fresh water guy - evident from his location. Most of you are looking at reels that fit the bill for Sea Fishing/Real Fishing (my personal view and respect for off shore fishing).

Something that can take 200 yards of 10lbs mono/20lbs braid is best for us - to keep flogging the water and that weighs not more than 10 oz. Of all the cheap reels I find Michell 300XE to be outstanding from carp to Catfish to Mahseer and below $50, its great and its got a long long lineage.

Cheers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Got to agree with Junglebum, he speaks my language... :lol:

Some of you may recall a discussion I was having with Jeen, where we were discussing the Stella and the Saltiga, I had made a comment that good GT's were being caught in the past as well, before these reels (something that Dilip i think reiterated recently). I have been witness to this with some Spinning reels like the US made Penn SS 850+ and reels like Daiwa BG90/GS9. While we could land the odd large GT with this suuff, we must realize that they would not stand up to the quality and quantity of GTs some of the guys have been landing recently something like what guys like Jeen and sons have.

For me any angler worth his salt, should not mess around with what JB has classified as bargin reels. They just do not prove to be economical in the long run or with that special fish you may hook up someday. So if you are a serious angler, I would advise you to save some more and invest in a reel that is tried and tested. I am not saying go in for a Stella or Saltiga but a good mid range reel should be what one should look at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Junglebum is right. I have a drawer full of cheap reels. Sure they last a few seasons. But each fish left them a bit broken. Every time I look at them I realise my mistake. $50 more than a few times is a couple of very good reel.

I learnt my lesson the hard way. Now I save, wait and watch of sales and then something that is really top class.

That said there is one thing I have realised. After a certain price point the differences are really negligible.

If there is had to be one rule it would be don't buy cheap Chinese. However nice they look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:13 pm 

Hi

I have recently purchased a Shimano Solstace® FL Spinning Reel. It costed me Rs 3500 and i managed to catch an 18lb mahseer with it. I was using a 12lb line.

So, i guess u should go in for that.

Regards

Kunal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:34 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Kppuri,

Maybe it will prove to be a good reel in the long run, however, without wanting to take anything away from your fish, perhaps it is a testiment to your skill, to this reel however, 1 fish is not what I would call tried and tested.

Regards,

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Shimano Spheros - Best value for money reel in the market right now.

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken is right. There is this thing called The Law of Diminishing Returns! Reels like Stella and Saltiga are right on top of that curve!

Most of us start our fishing 'career' with cheap reels, then move up the 'vicious spiral'. Where you end up depends on how deep your pockets are, and how crazy you are!

I was doing some casual fishing at this pond, one day, and this chap came to have a chat. He noted that I was using "cheap reels" (I was using a Ryobi Zauber and Shimano Technium at the time), and giving me that look. I replied that it's not the reel that catches the fish, but the angler.

Well, that high-nose fella left in quick time!

Another angle to this issue is, you should use the most suitable reel for the purpose. If you are legering for ho-hum pond fish, you dont REALLY need a Stella, do you? But if I'm chasing specimen mahseer in a tough jungle river, I'd be using my best, most reliable reels.

><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:31 pm 
Enlightened

Shimano Sphereos - good reel - will hold big fish and decent price. Caught some nice ones on it. Only problem with this is too heavy so get a decent wrist workout before a long trip. Strong reel and lifetime stuff.

Daiwa Emcast - great reel at a cheap price. Has caught some serious mamas in its time. Light and worked well. Gears will hold ... big ones. Nice Cast. Enjoyed it.

For Mahseer, we have to got to the saltwater section - the freshwater stuff is too weak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:22 am 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:

regards,
Keyur

Some people are not happy with the Stradic FI now being made in Malasiya and not in Japan as this discussion thread from "Tackle Tour" shows. They feel QC and "tolerances" in manufacturing have suffered.

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/view ... 28&t=36626