->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:18 am 
Fishaholic

When does one use the anti-reverse switch on a spinning reel?

I have always used the reel with the anti-reverse on and have never had the need to turn it off.

A quick survey of the internet tells me that some use it for "back-winding" (???) - and many newer reels do not have this feature.

Can someone throw some light on this ?

Also I was wondering whether a spinning reel with the anti-reverse off could be used as in a bait-runner mode while legering. Set the drag as usual, cast the bait, and turn the anti-reverse off. When fish takes bait, line is given out freely, handle turns and acts as an indicator. Flip the anti-reverse on and drag comes into play. :idea:

Does it make sense ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Drags on spinning reels weren't always as silky smooth as they are nowadays and anglers using light line (2 or 3lb mainline is commonly used in Europe) would find that the drags simply weren't good enough to prevent breakoffs and that they could give line to a fish much more smoothly by backwinding than by relying on an sticky and rather crude drag system.

Even when the drags improved, backwinding remained a popular option and so was retained as a selectable function via a simple switch - and this feature continued to be incorperated as the enginering improved and people started using spinning reels instead of multipliers for big fish applications.

A disenguaging antireverse isn't much use on a lure fishing reel byt is still handy when bati fishing with a lead as the reel handle can be adjusted backwards and forwards to achieve the perfect tention once the rod is in the rest and then the antireverese can be engaged to lock things up.

Not a good idea to try to use spinning reel handles as a bite indicator though. They will continue to rotate after a sharp pull resulting in a huge tangle of loose line and in all probability lost fish - better to slack the drag right off and leave the antireverse on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Bro i don't know much but for god sake don't try that. First of all when you switch of the anti revers the reel is totally free and if by chance you mange to hook a fish then with first run you will get a mother of a tangle,In my limited experience the fish will not run at a same speed as the reel and the reel will continue to roll back even after the first push at the same speed or more causing total web on your reel. I think there is no way you can then fight a fish.

I think better idea is to let your drag quite loose with anti revers on so that fish can run... let it then pick up the rod and tight the drag after the first run and then fight the fish. If necessary you can apply drag with your hand on the reel if you feel you need it even on the first run that way you can control the fish. :D :D :wink:

I have really no idea what the bloody anti revers is for but I know a friend who told me he tried casting by keeping it on when he was learning and rest is history :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Drags on spinning reels weren't always as silky smooth as they are nowadays and anglers using light line (2 or 3lb mainline is commonly used in Europe) would find that the drags simply weren't good enough to prevent breakoffs and that they could give line to a fish much more smoothly by backwinding than by relying on an sticky and rather crude drag system.

Even when the drags improved, backwinding remained a popular option and so was retained as a selectable function via a simple switch - and this feature continued to be incorperated as the enginering improved and people started using spinning reels instead of multipliers for big fish applications.

A disenguaging antireverse isn't much use on a lure fishing reel byt is still handy when bati fishing with a lead as the reel handle can be adjusted backwards and forwards to achieve the perfect tention once the rod is in the rest and then the antireverese can be engaged to lock things up.

Not a good idea to try to use spinning reel handles as a bite indicator though. They will continue to rotate after a sharp pull resulting in a huge tangle of loose line and in all probability lost fish - better to slack the drag right off and leave the antireverse on.

as usual ken right on mark. I think you and me were writing at the same time what a coincident :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Same responce too "OMG Don't do that !!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

BTW Thanks a ton for explaining anti revers though it was really an education had no idea [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Well you can call Antireverse a luxury but not a necessity.

I do not fish a lot now a days and I do miss an anti reverse on some of my new reels when a Spin, especially when I have wound too much of line in and want to release some, sometimes my swivel is much too close to the tip...you guys know what I mean.

A common failure on reels is the anti reverse, especially on chinese manufactured reels. They just fail so you have to open a the reel and set it right. On the Penn SS spinning reels the anti reverse failing was common, the silent antireverse would fail or the antireverse would fail all together.

Without getting into too much of detail, the way the new antireverse are set you can use the reel always on and will not wear off any parts.

If you take a look at some of the very high end spinning reels like the Saltiga, Van Stall etc they do not have an anti reverse, these reels are for large fish, and eliminating the antireverse means having one less moving part = one less breakable part and thus eliminating another cause for failure during a fight with some real tough fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:40 pm 
Fishaholic

"If you take a look at some of the very high end spinning reels like the Saltiga, Van Stall etc they do not have an anti reverse"

They do. It's just always on.
I for one wouldn't fancy taling on a 40kg GT with no AR - I value the use of my fingers to much......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ken, Rajat and Bobby.
Seems like the antireverse is best left on.
The idea of using it as a baitrunner was just a "brainwave" - thought I could save myself the cost of a Shimano baitrunner !
Incidently, a further search of the internet over the weekend has thrown up an interesting fact - my "brainwave" is second hand news ! - Legering with the antireverse off was practised in the UK - it was called the "churner" method - but isn't popular for exactly the reasons mentioned by Ken. Apparently it worked with the older reels which were not as smooth as the present ones. The Mitchell 300 was especially suited for this method. (courtesy anglersnet.uk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
"If you take a look at some of the very high end spinning reels like the Saltiga, Van Stall etc they do not have an anti reverse"

They do. It's just always on.
I for one wouldn't fancy taling on a 40kg GT with no AR - I value the use of my fingers to much......

Thanks for the clarification Ken, what I meant was the switch not the actual anti-reverse mech.