->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: common carp
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 pm 
Fishaholic

i need help regarding the bait to use for common carp. i have gone through all the post here but none of the post is bout common carp.

please help me

regards
manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 pm 

Earthworms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 pm 
Fishaholic

I have already used earthworms but they r not working b'cos we have lot of small tilapia in our lake. they used to finish it within minutes.

n e ways thanks 4 the reply

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

try using atta or bread paste....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:52 pm 
Fishaholic

i think there is less chance for this b'cos i have tried atta but the tilapia make a hell over that one.

they eat it too. I think i have to try something else

n e ways thanks for the reply

Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:39 am 
Fishaholic

bro it's call telapia menace so you just have to be calm and wish that telapiya leaves your bet for the common carp to take it as long as the tp are there they will go for everything you put in so just keep trying both earth worm and bread looks like a good idea but if you find out what the regular food waste is thrown in the water-body you are fishing that would be the safest bait :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:01 pm 
Fishaholic

i still cant figure out why you dont want to catch them tilapias.. Deep fired with a coating of butter or lime makes for a wonderful side dish...

I suggest that you try using bigger hooks and bigger baits..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
i still cant figure out why you dont want to catch them tilapias.. Deep fired with a coating of butter or lime makes for a wonderful side dish...

[smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:32 am 
Fishaholic

[quote="Gavin Ridge Cooke"]i still cant figure out why you dont want to catch them tilapias.. Deep fired with a coating of butter or lime makes for a wonderful side dish...[quote]

Gav, when did you check your Cholesterol last mate?

But I do agree, Talapia are one tasty fish, I like them fried as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Ignorance is Bliss, Bobby my friend... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:20 am 
Fishaholic

'Tis folly to be wise....ha ha sometimes you cannot argue with that.

Nice to see you on the forum again, hope things are well with you mate, still at the Capital?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:12 pm 
Fishaholic

no mate.. am back at Kolkata... Taken a change of jobs... but am seriously looking at something in retail/bpo sectors.. Tired of banking... How's yourself and all at home ?

GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

All well here, just a tad busy with things. Closed the BPO mate did not work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:27 am 
Fishaholic

manishhgin wrote:
i think there is less chance for this b'cos i have tried atta but the tilapia make a hell over that one.

they eat it too. I think i have to try something else

n e ways thanks for the reply

Manish

Manish,

I have Some suggestion for you.
(1) make your hook bait such that it stay on your hook longer. One of the method is to boil your Atta dough so as it becomes hard. There is one other method of mixing cotton with your bait but i will not recommend it.

(2) Generally Talapia stop feeding one hour before sunset but this is a good time to target common carp. Fish one hour on either side of sun set. Be prepared to land a Rohu also while you are at it as this is also there time to feed.

(3) talapia feed near bottom. Put your hooks just above the Talapia feeding zone.

Hope you will land your Common Carp now. :wink:

Regards,

Ali. :-) [/list]

P.S. In such cases, ground baiting two areas, different for talapia and Carp also helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:20 am 
Fishaholic

thanks ali bhai!!!

I will try it very soon.

yesterday i landed a 2 KG mirgal in futala lake(nagpur) will share the pic very soon.nice 10 minute fight

regards
manish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:

Hi,

Was just reading up tilapias as I think I remeber a handliner pulling decent sized ones out at Hindon when I came across this article. Errr eating em adds more than cholesterol to your body. :shock:

Posted under:
News

Tilapia fish may have killed gharials in Chambal

scientists seem to have come to a conclusion on what could have killed more than 100 gharials in Chambal waters recently. Tilapia, an invasive fish could have caused the deaths along the Uttar Pradesh-Madhya Pradesh border, says a new report.

scientists seem to have come to a conclusion on what could have killed more than 100 gharials in Chambal waters recently. Tilapia, an invasive fish could have caused the deaths along the Uttar Pradesh-Madhya Pradesh border, says a new report. Circumstantial evidences suggest that the critically endangered reptiles could have consumed the fish abundantly found in the Yamuna which is polluted with heavy metals. The Yamuna meets the Chambal 40 km downstream of the affected area.

A toxin in the fish could have entered the gharials' body and damaged their kidney, resulting in gout-like symptoms and then death, says a recent report of the crisis management group (cmg) submitted to the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests on February 29, 2008. The team has not yet identified the toxin. The cause of the deaths has so far eluded the scientists (see ‘Reason unknown', Down To Earth, February 29, 2008).

Several studies have already shown that tilapia, a hardy fish, can withstand high pollution and toxins such as heavy metals tend to get accumulated in its body. "The tilapia could have brought toxins from the Yamuna, where it is dominant,' says D Basu of wwf India. cmg's survey found wide presence of tilapia and several pollutants where the gharials were found dead. The report says more such deaths might occur since the toxin seems to have affected several gharials.

cmg has asked the government to take immediate measures to clear Yamuna to save gharials. It said authorities could seek help from local communities that have been protecting the crocodiles.

The tilapia link has surprised gharial experts who say gharials usually spare the invasive tilapia. They feed on local fish. But villagers in the region says illegal fishing has led to a sharp decline in local fish, forcing the gharials to target tilapia, locally known as kawai.

"The gharials found dead were above a certain size; not small ones,' says L A K Singh, a gharial expert with Orissa's forest department. Small gharials could have found tilapia too big or too quick to catch, he says.

Conservationists say tilapia could also harm human health and aquatic life. People in Chambal have been eating it, since few local varieties are available. Many now fear that tilapia, which is a predatory fish, may threaten fish in nearby rivers too.

Author(s):
Kirtiman Awasthi

Pasted from the environment studies web page.

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:33 am 

We have lots of tilapia here in Hong Kong and I find the best bait to target carp and avoid the nuisance fish is maize (not sweetcorn).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Dev, my mate - if we were to go into all the several reports and surveys conducted by our esteemed scientists and believe them, then we wouldn't be eating much.. However, I stand by the deep-fried-buttered-and-limed method. I rather believe that I went because of high cholesterol than because of stupid toxins and wat not...
Moreover, there are too many of such reports for me to be bothered about and think of how many toxins are there in the food in front of me.. If I did, then I wouldn't be eating out much.. Yes, I do take a reasonable care before I choose my meal.. That's why them tilapias are deep-fried-buttered-and-limed, the toxins taste so much better :lol: :lol: .. Cheers..

GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 am 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Yes, I do take a reasonable care before I choose my meal.. That's why them tilapias are deep-fried-buttered-and-limed, the toxins taste so much better :lol: :lol: .. Cheers..

GRC

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:24 am 

I think Dev &I hooked a 3 eyed Tilapia in Hindon , around the time we used to go fishing for sacks and socks with a peacock quill float fixed to a spinner.
Now, those were heydays of experimental fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:39 pm 
Fishaholic

You could always make up some boilies by mixing atta and eggs (and any colour/flavour you fancy) into a stiff dough and rolling it into balls before dropping them into boiling water for a few minutes and then drying them off in the sun.
By experimenting with the recipie and size, you should be able to make baits that are big enough and hard enough to detir the tilapia.
The only problem is that you then have to adopt Euro style fishing methods with bait drills, hair rigs etc.

Ken

Post subject: three eyes?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
I think Dev &I hooked a 3 eyed Tilapia in Hindon , around the time we used to go fishing for sacks and socks with a peacock quill float fixed to a spinner.
Now, those were heydays of experimental fishing.

Saw a handliner pull out a few at Hindon last year. I swear (I have been off the corn mash) that they had two eyes :lol: .

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Dev, my mate - if we were to go into all the several reports and surveys conducted by our esteemed scientists and believe them, then we wouldn't be eating much.. However, I stand by the deep-fried-buttered-and-limed method. I rather believe that I went because of high cholesterol than because of stupid toxins and wat not...
Moreover, there are too many of such reports for me to be bothered about and think of how many toxins are there in the food in front of me.. If I did, then I wouldn't be eating out much.. Yes, I do take a reasonable care before I choose my meal.. That's why them tilapias are deep-fried-buttered-and-limed, the toxins taste so much better :lol: :lol: .. Cheers..

GRC

So I can grab the ones that I snag next time at hindon? Damn the scientists, never did like science any way.

Now you have got me hungry sitting with no option of animal protein at work. Not fair...not fair at all. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Grab a rod and head out.. Us anglers don't need an excuse but just a reason..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Grab a rod and head out.. Us anglers don't need an excuse but just a reason..

scene: a dull uniformly designed office somewhere in the wilds off delhi.

frantic voices: dev you got the thingie written boss wants you...

dev: damn you called it a thingie, man i am so rattled...

frantic voice: oh no...not the rod...not the rod...not that cheap shimano and jarvis walker tackle with the cheap chinese line...on no...

boss: put it down...right now...put it down...

dev: you shouldn't have shouted at me...you won't like me when me angry...

boss: down boy...

sound effects: rrrripppp...squish

scream: nahin!

frantic voices: hmmm never seen rod used that way before...finally landed a big one.

trumpets fanfare and sound of old bolero wheezing to life and clattering off. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:36 pm 
Fishaholic

hahahahahaahahah

Dev! This is a true story I am sure. Let's meet up this weekend. Call me when you have the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Classic [smilie=cool_goatee.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:36 am 
Fishaholic

LOL ......Thats why Dev's an Enlightened forum member and not a fishoholic

Post subject: not a fisholic yet.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:46 am 
Fishaholic

:oops: i live off your stories...what to do...extreme end of delhi makes pump house difficult to access...excuses...excuses I tell ya .

Will get in touch mken bwana.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:41 am 

hey manishhgin, i'm brand new to this forum and Indian fishing, but i do fish for common carp very often, in fact it's one of my favourite species in the fresh.

out here in sa we generally use boilies, maize and paste baits for most applications, but another bait i am particularly fond of using is lupins. if you're not familiar with lupins (you might know it by another name) let me know and i'll try to post a pic some time.
the reason i like them so much is because they're nice and big (about 3 - 5 times the size of a kernel of maize), look a lot like maize and most fish seem to leave it alone - except for common carp they love them!

tight lines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:24 am 
Fishaholic

thanks a lot eugene

It would be great if you share the picture of lupins as i don't know anything about it.

regards
Manish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:07 pm 

ok, give me a day or two, i'll cook a few and take some pics of the raw kernels and the cooked ones as we use them....watch this space!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:20 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks in advance eugene!!!!!!!!!! i m waiting 4 the pictures

now i think i can target common carp without having disturbances from the smallies :D

regards
Manish