->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:23 am 
Fishaholic

Yesterday, on Feb 23 I received my two Shakespeare Ugly Stick Lite 8'-6" Salmon Spinning Rod/7' Spinning Rod and 1 Plano Rod Case from Cabela's. They shipped by UPS. But the handling at New Delhi customs check was a DISASTER and it is a miracle that the rods survived.

Only one ring was twisted out of shape in 8'-6" rod (the base /first big ring) and in the process of putting it back into shape the Stainless Steel ring insert has slipped out and I am unable to put it back.

What happened at the New Delhi customs inspection is that they took out the 2 rods from the secure (thick, paper) rod tube in which cabela's had packed the rod in. After inspection they did not put the the rods back into the tube. They just TAPED THE TWO RODS ONTO (outside) THE PAPER ROD TUBE and put it back in the box with the heavy PLANO PVC rod case. The constant banging of the rods with the Plano rod case must have caused the damage.

Who is to blame the Customs people or UPS Cargo. However, I am lodging my comlaint with Cabela's, UPS & Customs.

As the SS insert is very thin and does not have any "groove" on its cirumference, how can I put back the insert ? Or will I have to remove the rod ring & install a new ring myself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:24 am 
Fishaholic

However, I did have a "live chat" with Cabela's today on 24th Feb and they say they will replace the rod. Lets see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37 am 
Fishaholic

Mate if they said that you are lucky. I (KEYUR) once broke my cabelas light spinning rod and guess what they wanted to replace the rod but was out of stock so they gave me a refund. They surely will replace your rod. Be rset assured.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

Ashok, heat the ring & slip the insert in. Be careful, that you do not heat it too much , else you may damage your rod. Also make sure that the ring is in shape, else once it cools & contracts, the insert will get damaged.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur, once I have made sure that the ring is in shape what heating medium you suggest? Also the SS insert is pretty thin. Will it hold during casting/playing fish. It looks a bit doubtful to me. Can I use adhesives here? Earlier rods had pretty substantial size ceramic inserts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:32 am 
Fishaholic

Finally, if the SS Rod Ring "insert" cannot be fitted back can the whole ring be removed and a new ring fitted. This will have to done by me and I will need a matching rod ring, whipping thread, adhesives and varnish. I have my aunt coming over from Toronto (Canada) soon so I can arrange a spare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys,

Cabelas will replace anything lost/broken/not shipped at a drop of a hat and at any cost (to them).

I have had good experience with them and honestly keep the rod on the side and use the new one.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

Buddy sorry bout the Rod it shows how badly equipped the customs guys are,what they expecting a SAM (Surface to air missile)all they needed is to pass it through a scanner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:18 am 
Fishaholic

I have just received a new e mail from Cabela's that (a) I need not return the rod to them and (b) they have already shipped a new rod to me. Furthermore, after the detailed feedback I had given to them & UPS they have confirmed that steps have been taken so that this problem is not repeated.

I am IMPRESSED.

Post subject: damaged rods blame?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I can tell you with a hundred % guarantee that the culprits are the sadists at the international post office. I have dealt enough time with the sumnabitches to know. They are a jealous lot who love to break stuff in the guise of inspecting it. The post office guys are no better. U should take DHL to task as they should have cleared it themselves.

Cabelas is naturally a class act but the damage wasn't caused by them. But they always ensure that the buyer is happy.

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Ashok,

do not use any glue on the guide. If (by chance) there is even the slightest trace of it in the guide ring, it will wear your line out.

you could use any medium to heat the ring. A lighter or a candle too would be ok.

I'd say be happy with your new rod. It would be best to hand your rod to a rod builder for repairs.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the details. I understand we do not have Rod Builders in India. So what I can do is to get a "Fuji Rod Guide", "Thread", "Glue & Varnish" and change the guide of this rod too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:41 am 
Fishaholic

I Have ordered from Cabela numerous times and every times the package has come unopened as most of the Airport has the scanning package system, where every package is scanned by an xray machine and is not opened physically by the custom guys. just got my King Kat 10 feet rod and it came unopened.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:19 pm 

ashokpkl wrote:
Yesterday, on Feb 23 I received my two Shakespeare Ugly Stick Lite 8'-6" Salmon Spinning Rod/7' Spinning Rod and 1 Plano Rod Case from Cabela's. They shipped by UPS. But the handling at New Delhi customs check was a DISASTER and it is a miracle that the rods survived.

Only one ring was twisted out of shape in 8'-6" rod (the base /first big ring) and in the process of putting it back into shape the Stainless Steel ring insert has slipped out and I am unable to put it back.

What happened at the New Delhi customs inspection is that they took out the 2 rods from the secure (thick, paper) rod tube in which cabela's had packed the rod in. After inspection they did not put the the rods back into the tube. They just TAPED THE TWO RODS ONTO (outside) THE PAPER ROD TUBE and put it back in the box with the heavy PLANO PVC rod case. The constant banging of the rods with the Plano rod case must have caused the damage.

Who is to blame the Customs people or UPS Cargo. However, I am lodging my comlaint with Cabela's, UPS & Customs.

As the SS insert is very thin and does not have any "groove" on its cirumference, how can I put back the insert ? Or will I have to remove the rod ring & install a new ring myself?

HI

I have been ordering my fishing and camping goods from cabelas for over a decade now. I have always recieved my goods (even the rods) intact. I would suggest that you get your shipment through express mail (through air). Its kind of safe and much faster.

Regards

Kunal

(Panchkula)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Kunal,

The package was shipped by air thru UPS. But it was opened at Delhi and the wrong repacking done resulted in the damage.