->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:03 pm 
Fishaholic

I have observed many of my spoons/spinners/plugs from Mepps/Luhr Jenson & Yo Zuri etc have Aluminium trebles.
I understand these need to be replaced by steel / barbless trebles/singles for Mahseer fishing.
How do I understand the "HOOK SIZE" so I can order correct Trebles/ Singles ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:19 am 
Fishaholic

Ashok! When I change the hooks I look at a areas. The first being the weight of the hook. Sure you can up the size make them 3x or 4x but this normally changes the swim of the plug. so be carful about the weight of the hooks. Then comes the size of the hooks. What you should take care about is that the hook can't get entangled with each other. If the hooks are too big then this will happen and you'll spend a lot of time cursing them. Lastly and most importantly is to make sure you change the split rings too! Good hooks are of no use if the rings are going to give. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 am 
Fishaholic

They're not aluminium. They're tinned to protect them against saltwater corrosion.
As most manufacturers don't bother to tin standard lightweight hooks, your Yo-Zuri's almost certainly have 3X or 4X hooks (3 or 4 times the strength of a standard wire hook) on them already and these should be perfectly OK for mahseer.
Your Mepps spinners will come with standard bronzed wire hooks on them but as spinners tend to attract smaller fish anyway, it's up to you whether you want to replave the hooks. The standard wire hooks will land most fish and will at least give you a chance of getting your lure back by straightening the hooks if you hook a snag.

If you do decide to change the hooks, look for 4X or even 6X replacements and don't forget to look critically at the split rings to decide whether they need upgrading too.
Having tried lots of brands including Owner and Cultiva, I have to say that I like VMC as they're both cheap and reliable.

Oh and yes, I do still crush the barbs - but only do it as you use each lure as there's not much point in doing them all before you go and then having to change hooks again before you can use the lures for barranumdi.

Good hunting.

Ken

Last edited by Ken L on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:03 am 
Fishaholic

VMC is good and cheap. I use them for my spinners & spoons. They are made of Carbon Steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

flyhigh wrote:
VMC is good and cheap. I use them for my spinners & spoons. They are made of Carbon Steel.

VMC makes hooks of Vanadium steel (Forged / tempered) & Hi Carbon steel. Depending on your purpose & strength you can take your pick. There is a big difference in Carbon steel & high carbon steel. High carbon steel is much stronger & more resistant to oxidation (corrosion) compared to carbon steel.

If anyone wants the VMC catalogue, drop me a line, I will email it to you. The file is 3.5Mb.

Some hoooks are galvanized (as Ken said tinned). Usually Galv of offshore metal is done to ASTM A123 (standard) to prevent corrosion. However, I'm not sure of what standard of Glav is done on the hooks. Example (Yo-zuri & some rapala lures, but not VMC hooks)

Ashok,

it would be best if you buy a variety of hooks of different sizes. You can test the lure in a tub of water, before & after changing the hooks. you will notice if there is any change in the lure (sinks / floats / how fast it sinks etc) & will help you decide what size of hooks would be best suited for your size of lure.
Any extra hooks can be used to make / experiment with different types of rigs.

Do not buy oversized hooks, but look at getting stronger hooks (3x / 4x). Nomatter what fish you are targetting, the hook strength also depends on the line / reel that you use. If you are not going to be using a very strong line line or even a reel with 20 - 30lb drag, you will not need very strong hooks as you will not be exerting as much force than can straighten hooks. Do NOT forget to use suitable split rings.

Barbless is easy. As ken said, press down the barb with pliers, or use a file.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:06 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for all the inputs. It has helped a lot.