->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:06 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Sharing some of my long range spoons that is very essential for long accurate cast needed while targeting Threadfin salmon.These spoons are designed and fabricated by me. I have kept a 6 inch scale so you guys have a rough idea on the size.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:09 pm 
Fishaholic

You are not in Pune..Right :?:

I am going to rob your house :twisted:

Regards and thank for sharing.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Real nice. I like the weight forward design. Any idea how heavy these are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:00 am 
Fishaholic

They weigh in the vicinity of 70 gms,Ali the next time we meet you will have a addition to your collection of Lures:))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

hi Neil,

thank u for sharing..

what material are they made of..

looks good..

regards,
pranav..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Neil
There is nothing like catching a fish with your own home made lures.
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:19 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Neil

That brings back memories ..... I also used to make my spoons first with a piece of wood that I would sit for hours with a wood file to bring inot the shape i wanted them and then get them cast at Kumbharwada in Copper .. Next would be the ardourous task of sitttingonce again with a metal file and filing them down to a smoothness that would let you chrome them to a polished glaze ... I remember filing my spoons in the local train on the way to wrok at Npt from Bandra and back and the looks on peoples faces were priceless . My designs were more slimmer ...not so broad as in a wind the spoon tending to fly like a kite when cast out ...but i would taper the thickness of the spoon ... ie thinner at the higher end and thicker at the base so what i would have weight at the lower end but the spoon would not be so broad .. Another thing that I would do is drill the hole for the hooks at the lower end of the spoon off centre ....This gave the spoon a wobble .This was invented and perfected by Mickey at Bandstand ... He named it Roger Milla after the Cameroon football striker at the 1980 World cup who did that famous wobble dance at the flag pole after scoring a goal ... I still have all the spoons that I used to fish with . daleys , Silver tongues etc bought with money saved from Mr Ivan Valles ... Come to think of it ...I should maybe cast a few for the enthusiats at the forum who still believe that the only way to catch a Ravas is the good old Metal Spoon

Post subject: very nice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:29 pm 

great invention, will go a long way, thanks for sharing

regards
Naveed Ahmed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:44 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks for vital info fred , I myself have been testing some handmade spoons with great results in murud janzira. watch out fellas another ' Roger Milla ' will be tempting the rawas very soon :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
They weigh in the vicinity of 70 gms,Ali the next time we meet you will have a addition to your collection of Lures:))))

Thanx Mate.. :oops: :lol:

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:04 pm 

Nice lures, If I where a fish i would bite them! :D

tight lines (I'm sure you will get them with those beasties!)

A.R.M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:04 am 
Fishaholic

Spoons have been very successful in catching both threadfin as well as Barra,The waters surrounding Mumbai are always stirred up with mud mainly due to the creeks opening into the sea.I suspect that the fish in this vicinity use there lateral line to home in on there prey.Spoons made of metal are very electrical conductive as opposed to the all new plastic /rubber lures which work great in clear water.As most of the veterans know as soon as the outgoing tide started and the water turned muddy the Familiar "BLOOOOCK" of the Bara feeding frenzy started it was switch to spoon and the stealth strategy started.Most anglers looked the other way not at the direction they where reeling but there whole mind was with that heroic spoon bouncing it slowly just of the rocks...and keeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk........got emmmmm.I am sure all you guys readin this in your posh offices and behind closed doors must be feeling that Pang of excitement to just get out and go fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:30 pm 
Fishaholic

ofcourse neil,
that thrill & excitement when ur reel screams KRRRRRRRRRR thats music to an angler's ear and its amusing to watch a perfectly hooked barra try all his tricks to get rid of the plug especially when he pops his head out of the water and shakes his head vigorously {like a NANDI BULL }trying to spit ur plug. I wonder how many of us have captured the landing of a +15kg barra on their handycam?
thanxs for opening the topic 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:12 am 

As others said, most of them look very wide. If they have too much surface area they will get nocked around by the wind, But that last one looks amazing!!!!
If you plan to keep them so wide you should wiegh them alot.
edit: Oh, there solid ooooohhhh :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: I thought they where just flat pieces of metal bent
Tight lines,
A.R.M. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:36 am 

Thanks Neil, subject very dear to me...made a lot of brass spoons in the loo of my flat-atleast all the cutting, filing and hammering was done there on sun evenings when kids went down to play.many nights in filing and balancing...lucky I had access to the pool after hrs,where i could go and check out the action. Amazing how a slight concavity gave a spoon soo much 'thrum'-am sure the fish could hear it for miles...used 0.5 to 2mm brass, some cut with fret saw, some with a water jet.
I gave a lot of my spoons away when i shifted.Last success story was a sppon I gifted a friend , he carried it back to US and sent me a pic of a salmon he got on the first cast, using my spoon.very gratifying.wait,shall post pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:07 pm 
Fishaholic

The material i used is called Tungum which is very ductile and yes expensive fortunately for me while diving on a wreck in the persian gulf i came across this pipe which looked rather different from the rest of steel piping,so i broke this 4 feet long 4"dia pipe and recoverd it to surface.Most of the material went into bracelets and its difficult to say if its gold or not.Something about tungum....Early records reveal that in the 10 years after the first world war Sidney Tungay , a metallurgist, was experimenting with a new copper based alloy which he hoped would look like gold when polished and which would be durable in everyday use. In an article in the 1934 British Trade Review, Tungum alloy was introduced thus –

‘Tungum is an alloy discovered by a well known metallurgist from whose name the alloy is derived. Experimenting with a view to finding a combination of metals suitable for a special purpose he had in view, he produced a compound which is known as TUNGUM. Recognising that its close likeness to 22 carat gold would make it a marketable commodity the inventor carried out a series of tests which satisfied him that he had discovered a wonderful alloy.’

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

The best spoon I had and made several copies was a 5" tapered strip of metal bent 1/3 the way at the top instead towards the bottom. Weighed about 70 grams upwards.

This caused the spoon to flutter rather than wobble it was devastating on both Barra and Ravas.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Cant see the image..Can you please repost?