->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: General Purpose Tackle.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy some tackle from US. Due to some financial constraints I can't spend much on equipments right now. So can you experienced guys suggest some general purpose tackle which can be used for Murrel as well as Rohu, Catla, Trout and Catfish (If that is possible in first place) coz I plan to fish in Karnataka, Haryana and Himachal. I want something which should be good enough to survive for 4-5 years in hands of a newbie like me :).

Rustam already suggested some things and I don't doubt his suggestions a bit but still I just wanted to take some more opinions :mrgreen:

Right now my shopping list contains this, Is it good enough or I need something else/more. Please suggest.

1. Shimano Symetre®/Cabela's Tourney Trail™ Spinning Combo

You can see it Here. I am thinking of getting 4000RI reel and 7' Medium action rod.

2. Mepps Agila spinners no 3,4,5 (I need suggestions here which one to go for dressed or plains).
3.Berkley Trilene Big Game 10-12lbs (Any one wanna suggest any thing better)
4.Rustam also suggested some spinners but i lost the list :oops: :cry:

Please suggest if I need something else, I am a complete stranger to angling so please excuse me for my silly questions and here is the tough part my budget is only $200.

With Best Regards,
Inderjeet Singh

PS: I've been told that though Trout is caught mainly using fly fishing technique but spinning tackle can also be used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

The combo looks pretty decent for the fish you mentioned you wanted to catch. However you'll have to drop trout from your list. For trout you'll need a much lighter setup 4lb to 8lb line and 00,0 and 1 size mepps.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Inder,

The setup you mentioned is good, however I would be happier with a size 2000 or 2500 reel for the type of fishing you mentioned. Any decrease in the combined weight of the rod and reel will reduce strain on the wrist and arm and allow you to cast effortlessly all day.

I use 10lb powerpro braid with a mono leader for most of my fishing since the braid gives instant feedback and hook ups. The lower diameter of the braid also allows casting much farther than monofilament of the same breaking strain.

Cheers
IA

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Marlin and Bops,

Rustam also advised me for a lighter reel but don't know why i can't get "Bigger the better" thing from my mind :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and with a broken right hand wrist i need to think again. I am thinking of getting some extra line so please suggest and something on swivels. Please suggest with make and model numbers.

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:41 pm 
Fishaholic

That's quite a list of fish you have there, Inder. What I had recommended was for murrel and am surprised that Akshay and Bops say it's more or less okay for the other species, barring trout. I had visions of longer rods for rohu and catla.

Add a top water lure like a Weedless Scum Frog.

Quote:
Rustam also suggested some spinners but i lost the list.

The Mepps Agila you mention in point # 2 are spinners.

Get a couple of packets of Crane type swivels available at Cabelas. Think it's 72 swivels per pack. Diito for Duo lock snaps, if you want them.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

An addition to Rustams post would be to buy the smallest size swivels.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
That's quite a list of fish you have there, Inder

Rustam, I was thinking of a tackle which can work in south as well in north. We get Rohu,Katla and Catfish in Haryana and Trout in Himachal.

Rustam Bana wrote:
The Mepps Agila you mention in point # 2 are spinners.

I meant swivels but wrote spinners :oops: :oops:

Thanks once again for the suggestions guys.

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

As a regular backpacking angler, my main advice would be to overgun rather than undergun it.
Of course, if you intend to chase everything from 100g trout to 20kg Mahseer and Barramundi, you will ideally have an array of rods and reels but if you are stuck for cash and space/weight and can only carry one rod, it's woth remembering that:

Heavy gear is simply more robust and will shake off knocks that might break more subtle tackle - remember tackle shops arn't exactly plentiful in India.

You can catch small fish on heavy but trying to land a big fish on light gear is much less practical (it's hard to fish with a reel that has stripped gears) and even if you do get your quarry in, it's survival chances will be greatly reduced after a protracted fight.

If you're buying gear in the US, it's worth remembering that the terms are relative. A "Heavy" action spinning rod is only "Heavy" for US Bass fishing and will often be a bit of a lightweight in other parts of the world.

If cash is rather limited I'd be inclined to go with something like the heaviest rod in the Quantum Great White Inshore Travel Spinning Rod range. This is rated to cast upto 2oz (56g) and will cover most general fishing (although Barra and Mahseer will push it to the limit) and will sufice for a little light bait fishing on the coast or in freshwater.
If you have a liitle more money available, I can hartily recomend the StCroix Tidemaster travel rods that are also rated to cast 2oz but will in fact throw 3 without a problem.
Both rods come in a tough tube that can be strapped to a backpack or suitcase.
One last thing to mention about US rods; Ignore the line rating (it's hopelessly optimistic) and look at the casting weight range.

Reels are a personal choice but I'd be inclined to go with at least a 5000 and better yet a 6000 sized reel with at least one spare spool - two would be better because it allows you to load up with 25lb braid for general fishing, 20lb mono for bait fishing and spinning amongst rocks where abraision resistance is vital and 10lb braid for ficking little lures about.
If you only have one spare spool, leave the light braid in the packaging and spool it over the top of the 25lb when you get to have a shot for trout.
I personally prefere a front drag reel because the drag is smoother and they are generally lighter but if you like to do a lot of bait fishing, a baitrunner (AKA baitfeeder) is a good idea.

If you need any advice of lines, lures etc, post away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:46 am 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
If you're buying gear in the US, it's worth remembering that the terms are relative. A "Heavy" action spinning rod is only "Heavy" for US Bass fishing and will often be a bit of a lightweight in other parts of the world.

Now that's something that never occured to me.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of two set of Tackles one for Murrel, Rohu, Catla and Catfish and other for mahseer (If i ever succeeded at landing murrel etc :) )

For Murrel i am thinking of 4000 Shimano Symetre and 7' Medium (US) action rod and 8 to 10lbs line and mepps spinners. So what you think should i go for a heavy action refering to your statement which Rustam quoted. I haven't thought of any tackle for mahseer yet.

Quote:
If you need any advice of lines, lures etc, post away.

Please :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Inder
PS: But all this will happen if i ever manage to persuade anyone to get me tackle from us :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:48 pm 
Fishaholic

kanwar76 wrote:
For Murrel i am thinking of 4000 Shimano Symetre and 7' Medium (US) action rod and 8 to 10lbs line and mepps spinners.

Inder,

Still learning as I go along but if you are going to do a lot of murral fishing on the WASI stretch, I would change the above to:

Rod: 6'-0" to 7'-0" MH power, fast action. There's a cheapish Shakespeare Ugly Stik (SPL110060) on Cabelas that fits the bill.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Reel: 2500 series will suffice.

Line: 12 or 15 lbs. mono.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:56 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
If I may interject here I would advise you to get a 6'6" Cabelas Microlite rod, ML ($39 but often on sale for $29) and P-Line Premium 12lb. I used it a few years ago and it was quite good for the money. I don't know what your budget is but I have spent thousands in trial-and-error over the years in arriving at my set-up for maral and therefore can give you the benefit of my experience. I'm afraid the Ugly Stik is quite heavy and a bit crude, IMHO. The sensitivity and ruggedness of the Microlite will surprise you. Microlite does not mean delicate.
Good luck,
Mm

Last edited by mysticmaral on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

Jeff,

There obviously seem to be many schools of thought on this subject. I have been using a Medium power rod without much problem, whilst the chap I usually go out with prefers his MH power Ugly Stik because it makes casting more accurate and helps in heavy weeds. Since he has been fishing far longer than me I defered to his experience.

What is your present Murral set up - rod, reel and line?

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:23 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,

For a purely maral set-up, you can do a lot worse than what I have suggested. If he's going to be fishing for rahu, etc. then perhaps an MH rating would do. I'd still stick with the Microlite rod.

Quote:
What is your present Murral set up - rod, reel and line?

Rods: Megabass Orochi Aaron Martens Limited, 6'10" one-piece
Megabass Destroyer Super Full House, 6'11" two-piece

Reel: Shimano Stella 3000FB, custom modified 32 degree crank offset. Spools built up to accomodate no more than 50yds of line.

Line: river fishing: P-Line Spectrex IV 15lb, lake: P-Line Premium 12lb

Lures: proprietary, with Matzuo Sickle 1/0 hooks (Mepps hooks are
rubbish)

You can check out the rods at Megabassusa.com. They're a Japanese company but distribute through the US. They have taken rod engineering beyond anything available anywhere. Period.

Regards,

Mm

Last edited by mysticmaral on Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

With that kind of Gucci tackle it's no wonder you find the Ugly Stik a bit crude. The megabass site is down but reading a related link that must be one heck of a rod.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:15 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,

Over the years I must've tried out hundreds of rods and there is nothing even close. I know the managers of both Cabelas and Bass pro, and since I live within minutes of both, they requested I bring in my Megabass rods so their staff could play with them!! The staff still remark about it when I see them. Megabass uses asymmetrical mandrels to wrap their kevlar, different wall thicknesses at key flexpoints, etc, etc. Plus, they look good enough to eat. And casting is a dream, both for accuracy and distance. Also, these rods are so sensitive, you'd better watch what you say in their presence!!

Really, the only other rods I would consider IF I couldn't get Megabass is Kistler. I had the owner, Trey Kistler, send me one. They're super nice....but not quite Megabass. Everything else is a compromise. As I've been telling those untutored (but lovable) ruffians in Hyderabad, life is brutishly short, always get the best.

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:45 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
life is brutishly short, always get the best.

Couldn't agree more. All I need to do now is rob a bank or two. :mrgreen:

Would you know of a working link to megabassusa? Would really like to read about this magic wand.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:04 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,

They've changed it. It is now simply megabass.com. If you're writing to them address it to Masaki and mention my name. No need to rob banks....although shipping to India+customs etc may add $200+ to the rod. But you'll love it. Guaranteed.

Good luck,

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:42 pm 
Fishaholic

mysticmaral wrote:
although shipping to India+customs etc may add $200+ to the rod. But you'll love it. Guaranteed.

That is my total budget for Murral setup :shock: :cry:

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:35 pm 
Fishaholic

mysticmaral wrote:
No need to rob banks....although shipping to India+customs etc may add $200+ to the rod. But you'll love it. Guaranteed.

LOL. You're having a laugh, aren't you? There's no way I can afford that one. Will take a look.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:37 pm 
Fishaholic

kanwar76 wrote:
That is my total budget for Murral setup :shock: :cry:

Nought wrong with that. I use a handline. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:48 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
LOL. You're having a laugh, aren't you?

No, actually. Look at it this way: for about $700 you could have a killer rod that'll give you pleasure for a long time. I can't think of anything else you could do with $700 in India that'll give you the same bang for your buck. 300 drinks at Pinxx? Please............

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:22 am 
Fishaholic

mysticmaral wrote:
Quote:
LOL. You're having a laugh, aren't you?
I can't think of anything else you could do with $700 in India that'll give you the same bang for your buck.

I was about to ask you to add me to the list of those untutored but loveable ruffians in Hyderabad :mrgreen: but that's more or less what we would pay for a decent airgun in India. Now all that remains is to mentally accept that a rod can be just as important as an airgun...

Damn it, Jeff, you've got me thinking now. :twisted:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam, buy the airgun and shoot me if i do spend $200 on a rod. I dont care if the damn things last me a lifetime or more... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:29 pm 
Fishaholic

That's going to take a lot of air (all the way to Cal) but considering the number of anglers on here we should have enough hot air to spare. :mrgreen:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,
If you see me fishing with a $200 rod, I'll come to Bangalore, get you a 30-06 and you can shoot me.
Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 am 
Fishaholic

Jeff,

I'd do anything for a '06. :mrgreen:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:23 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,

Now that you're in the business of letting daylight through forum members with assorted weapons I'll tell you a little related anecdote:

A friend told my brother a year ago that if he ever spent $200K on a car that I had recommended, for my brother to kick him where the sun don't shine. Now, after a year of gleeful driving, he sold my brother the car and is looking at a $700K vehicle. Moral of the story is: what may initially seem "wasteful" spending turns out to be an education that opens up heretofore unknown vistas. I guarantee you that on your last day on earth you're not going to say "thank God I didn't buy that Megabass".

Modern life has disconnected us from our primal pleasures, and since life is a near-death experience, we ought to do all we can to enjoy it. Let those with a critical nature let their minds run in tiny aghast circles of condemnation. Fun is, and always will be, irresponsible frivolity. Also, take Evelyn Waughs advice and never, never, let a lack of money get in the way. I didn't.

Airgun? You can have both my Beemans. Buy the Megabass. And the Stella. You'll thank me later.

Mm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:52 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,
After going through all the posts and replies I have realised that proper angling gear is required for angling.

I have bought my gear from different places and now I want your advice whether it will work fine with me.

Rods:
1. Daiwa 576M-360, 3.6mt, Telescopic, Casting wt.80-120gm
2.Zebco prostaff, PSS662M, Reinforced Graphite, 6.6ft, 2pc, Medium Action, 8-16lb line, 0.5-1 oz lure bought from Goa.
3.6ft telescopic without any names bought from US
4. 6.5ft telescopic, Chinese make, newly bought from Delhi.
5. American Osprey fly rod, 2.7mt., action 5-6 bought from srinagar

Reels:
Three spinning reels without any names and a ADMS fly reel

Line:
Daiwa Triforce 330 yds, 20lb, 0.40mm, monofilament
Daiwa Crystal Clear 0.35mm, 15lb, 110yds monofilament

Misc:
Spinners, lures, and spoons

Please visit my site:
http://in.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/apoonbubun/album?.dir=471ascd

I have taken the pics to show you so that you can give me an expert advice

With regards,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

Tell me, Mm, are you a used car salesman? You sure as hell are persuasive. :mrgreen:

First things first. Marc's found me a delicious little shotty (what's the bet I get a call from Bops as soon as he reads this? :mrgreen: ) and that get's first priority. In other words, no more expensive toys for a year or two.

Money aside, would an oik like me truly appreciate something like that or even know the difference? :roll:

What's a toff like you playing with Beemans? Get yourself a Gary Barnes lickety-spit old chap!

Thanks for the offer but I'd rather have the '06. ;) :mrgreen:

Rustam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:03 am 
Fishaholic

apoo wrote:
I have taken the pics to show you so that you can give me an expert advice.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Apoo, I have only been fishing a year and really am in no position to dish out expert advice.

Before one can comment on the apropriateness of the tackle, you need to mention what type of fishing you intend doing.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:24 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
First things first. Marc's found me a delicious little shotty.

He's been a good student. Before I took him under my wing his idea of a delicious little shotty was a single-shot Dwarka Arms bound with brass wire, and good for anything smaller than a sparrow within 10 yards.

As to the Beemans, I got them to get my schoolboy ya-yas out...and they come in handy, at 970fps, for whacking squirrels in the US whose tails, of course, I use for my lures.

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
He's been a good student. Before I took him under my wing his idea of a delicious little shotty was a single-shot Dwarka Arms bound with brass wire, and good for anything smaller than a sparrow within 10 yards.

Someone's been reading a lot of Jim Corbett. Not sure whether it's you or Marc. :mrgreen:

Quote:
As to the Beemans, I got them to get my schoolboy ya-yas out...and they come in handy, at 970fps, for whacking squirrels in the US whose tails, of course, I use for my lures.

What kind of fish would it attract in India, if any? Any chance of a step by step pictorial guide on how to make these?

Take care.

Rustam

P.S.: Which Beemans do you have?

Post subject: FAO: Rusty
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:17 pm 

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/el ... c00113.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/el ... c00111.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/el ... c00110.jpg

Rustam, that gallant duster sacrificed a fair portion of its size to help me with my first bucktail on a 4 treble.
Couple of ouches, a fair bit of clear nail polish as 'dope' on the surgical silk being used for the 'tie'and voila!!??
What's been your experience on a 'bucktail'?
If you're having a dull day, I'll show you my version of a scum fish-if you promise not to get a hernia laughing.
Best
Axx

Post subject: Re: FAO: Rusty
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:33 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
What's been your experience on a 'bucktail'?

None but your enthusiasm is worth a standing ovation. Just a guess but you may want to reduce the length. Get more informed opinions before you trim it though.

Did not understand that bit about using nail polish as dope.

Let's see that scum fish. The ruddy flu is getting worse and I could use a laugh.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:45 pm 

Used clear nail polish as adhesive 'dope' to reinforce the fluff to the hook tying-did it in layers.hopefully should hold...
Used to instrument tying when it comes to knots and sutures-i.e use a needle holder to tie the knots-had more than my share of ouches with the first uni-will persevere though, or i'll have to carry a needle holder to tie the knots.There's truth in the 'put saliva on the knot as you tighten' bit-damn things are snug.
hokay, will finish the scum 'animal' (for the lack of an easier term!) tonite and post for your barrel of weekend laughs!
Searching for some long rubber strings-like the ones the kids have attached to a rubber ball to chuck around? maybe I can improvise a decent skirt for a spinner??!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I get it now. That bit about using lengths of rubber as a skirt sounds workable. What glue or cement do you intend using?

What are you doing in front of a monitor? Go out and fish!

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Asif,

That's a great idea using the duster material for a bucktail. I suggest you trim the length a little else the fish will strike too far behind to get hooked. The thickness could also be reduced a little. I use bits of spinner bait skirt material available on cabelas. One order should last you a long time.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0001802

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:11 pm 

...and a patient from UK at HOME-wife's aunt, down with a disk prolapse-and a dying weekend-3 meetings starting 5pm.
If God can take me to it, he'll take me through it (the work meetings :wink: :wink: )
For the skirt-rubber 'solshun' saar! what d 'ell, lets give it a whirl? will reinforce with surgical silk-lets hope the rubber cement wont chew through the rubber?? :oops:

I hit the monitor between 'Work" which i wish is what i did between fishing trips...new convert, excuse the bravado.

Bops-thanks for the advice-will trim.Wondering how the fibers will behave after a wetting .will there be any resemblance to a live creature or will they be a soggy, droopy mass? :evil: Got yellow and red so far, dont want it to look like Holi is early this year :wink: Will do the wetting test and post...
Been home brewing for many years now-courtesy ham radio-I run by vu2xtc -and guess cant kick old habits? this seems to be a great hobby to home brew? never mind if the critters dont bite :roll:
Will check out the cabela's no sweat-but if I find the rubber strings, guess what I'm doing on this hot sat night??!! :P

Best
Axx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:05 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
guess what I'm doing on this hot sat night??!! :P

Pretty pleasant here. The night's especially. Ever been to Bangalore? :mrgreen:

Rubber solution should work, alternatively try Araldite. The Super Glue type of stuff would make the rubber brittle I guess.

Quote:
Wondering how the fibers will behave after a wetting .will there be any resemblance to a live creature or will they be a soggy, droopy mass?

My money's on the latter. Instead of being a fluffy mass of fibres, they will most probably come together leaving the hooks quite visible.

Rustam

Last edited by Rustam Bana on Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:47 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Which Beemans do you have?

Rustam,

I am in LA for a few weeks at a tennis tournament, hence couldn't get to the forum....I have an R1 and a P1.

Squirrel tails are the best as they're soft and pliable. Re "dope" etc, just use ca like everyone here and, as I had mentioned earlier, finish with a light coat of nail polish. Rubber cement, Araldite etc are makeshift solutions.

Regards,

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:09 am 
Fishaholic

Good choices and you're halfway to a Venom.

Quote:
Re "dope" etc, just use ca like everyone here

What is ca?

When you do get back pleaase post some pics of this squirrel tail lure.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:05 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
What is ca?

Cyanoacrylate, aka super glue. I was hesitant initially because of the smell but was assured by the fly expert at Bass Pro that he uses it and it doesn't bother carp, which he says are super sensitive to smell.

I may have pictures of the squirrel tail stuff somewhere in my emails and will post them soon as I can.

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Cyanoacrylate, aka super glue.

Never would have expected that to work with rubber but worth a try if you say it's okay.

No rush regarding the squirrel tails.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:04 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Never would have expected that to work with rubber

Wait, you don't stick either the squirrel-tail or a silicone skirt. You wrap these on to the shank with fine silk/cotton string and then put a drop of ca on the wrap to seal it.

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:12 pm 

Thanks for the info and advice Senor MM.
Rustam, before you change your load from bear to squirrel, want to try the bristles from a paintbrush-a 4 or 6" , el cheapo brand?
2 options either keep original bristles or paint em(dip tufts in el cheapo enamel )red yellow and green :twisted:
Wonder how the paint smell will influence the fish? :roll:
Will make one soon and instead of snaps, will send one down to you for a trial in your next outing.If it works, give me cabela's add! [smilie=blush.gif]
best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Please be kind to the squirrels. My mate Timothy will tear your head off if he hears about this. He can't leave home to go fishing because of the squirrels he has. God help him!
Regards
Owen
eljefe wrote:
Thanks for the info and advice Senor MM.
Rustam, before you change your load from bear to squirrel, want to try the bristles from a paintbrush-a 4 or 6" , el cheapo brand?
2 options either keep original bristles or paint em(dip tufts in el cheapo enamel )red yellow and green :twisted:
Wonder how the paint smell will influence the fish? :roll:
Will make one soon and instead of snaps, will send one down to you for a trial in your next outing.If it works, give me cabela's add! [smilie=blush.gif]
best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:40 pm 
Fishaholic

mysticmaral wrote:
Quote:
Never would have expected that to work with rubber

Wait, you don't stick either the squirrel-tail or a silicone skirt. You wrap these on to the shank with fine silk/cotton string and then put a drop of ca on the wrap to seal it.

Mm

Ummm...my first rod was a gift. It had been well used to the point that the threads tying the rings to the rod were begining to come off. Superglue was applied and all that did was make the threads stiff and brittle.

Now I don't know if these were cotton or silk threads or something else.

Anyway, still worth another shot and thanks for the clarafication.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:51 pm 
Fishaholic

There's no need to shoot the little blighters when there is no shortage of roadkills to pick and snip.

Quote:
Will make one soon and instead of snaps, will send one down to you for a trial in your next outing.If it works, give me cabela's add!

I can do better than that. I can introduce you to the chap who sources stuff for Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. in the Asia-Pacific region.

Get cracking with my freebe. :wink:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Couple of points:

1. When dressing the hook, the head has to be not only stiff but hard (supressing giggles). Yes, a dirty mind as a result of that evil Hyderabad influence.
2. The opposite is true of the skirt. Soft, soft, soft. Paint brush bristles just won't do. And painting them will make them into spikes that no self-respecting maral will touch.

You know what, I should be dispensing dysinformation so I'll have more marals to catch :!: Please ignore all previous advice (if you haven't already).

Mm