->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:35 pm 

Hello all!
I am new to the mumbai fishing scene and was seeking help. I have concluded that mahseer and sea shore fishing are the angling types that will fit my needs, but my tackle just does not seem up to par :( so, I need you guys, the ones with the know how, to help. My tackle consists of...
1. A two peace shimano spinning rod, 6 foot 6 inches, and medium fast action. It is also rated for 6-14 pound test line
2. plugs, one rapala 7cm floating minnow, silver and black. a deep diving rapala, also silver and black. One diawa gold and brown minnow. These are the ones i think will be good but thats for you guys to decide. (ps I have more)
3. top-waters (i don't have many :cry:) one yiru-zori (no clue how to spell that) bass pattern, its like about 4 inchs.
4. plastics too many to list :D
5. two spinner baits, double willow blades. about 5 Mepps spinners and other brand spinners too. (panther martin, ect)
So what should i keep using and what to store away?
Also where to by tackle in mumbia (i live in powai if that helps)
One more, who lives in mumbai? and can they tell me where too fish or hook up with me (get it, "hook" [smilie=yum.gif]) to catch some fish!.

tight lines,
A.R.M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Line ratings for rods are absolutely useless as an indicator of how strong a rod is - I once had a proper ultralight spinning rod that said that it was suitable for lines upto 20lb !
Power ratings (L, M, MH etc) are just about as pointless.
"Medium fast action" relates to the recovery speed of the blank so that dosen't tell you anything about it's power.
What sort of weight is the rod designed to cast ?

You mentioned in your introductions thread that you fish with 5 - 8 inch plugs. If that's the case, they are going to be in the 20-70g range and if you can cast those properly with the rod, it will be plenty strong enough for inshore fishing for barramuni and the like.
Even if it's not that strong, go fish the saltwater creeks (if you can find a clean one) for Mangrove jacks, Oxeye tarpon etc - just remember to upgrade the hooks because MJ's will chew up hooks designed for large mouth bass and spit them back at you.

Keep the spinners and the topwaters for freshwater but everything else will be OK for the salt - MJ's and Barra just love the plastics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:28 pm 
Fishaholic

A.R.M. wrote:
One more, who lives in mumbai? and can they tell me where too fish or hook up with me (get it, "hook" [smilie=yum.gif]) to catch some fish!.tight lines, A.R.M.

Lot of Mumbai guys on the forum and all of them are very keen anglers.

You got my number, call me anytime.

I will be out of town this weekend (a long weekend and fishing) :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 pm 

the rod is 1/8 to 5/8 weight but i have casted baby blue gill (a sun fish) for big bass :D. I have used it for california's sea fishing, and caught some good size calico bass, mackerel, and sheep head (but it bit through the line as soon a i got on the dock) thanks for the quick info

,tight lines,
A.R.M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 pm 
Fishaholic

"the rod is 1/8 to 5/8 weight"

Definatly on the light side but OK for creeks.
You haven't mentioned your reel but i will say that if it's magnesium (some expensive reels are) don't let it even look at salt water or it'll rot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:07 am 

Ok then,
Im guessing I with need a new rod and reel for fishing in the sea. I know that bonnap sells rods and reels here on indian angler but, the minimum order is two rods (maybe I can get my dad to get one :D) so are there any places in mumbai that sell shimano (favorite rod brand) or any other good brand? what size rod, and reel should I get? here is what i need in terms of a rod and reel:

1. I would like a two piece rod (one piece is ok though)
2. heavy enough to stand up to big fish ( santosh how big do the fish get?)
but I also want to use it for big mahseer.
3. long enough to cast far, but light enough that when i hook up its a good fight
4 medium priced 2000-6000 rupes for rod and reel
5. I should get it in mumbai or on the forum? (how much is shipping from the USA to mumbai on a rod, is it worth to get it off basspro?)

now I need your guy's help,
thanks,
and tight lines

A.R.M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:12 pm 
Fishaholic

I would suggest going out with the lads and having a look,because every location is different some times you need a rod that can cast into the wind 60 plus metres and a reel with a fast retrieve.Threadfins average 5 to 10 lbs,Barras 5 to 30 lbs but are easier to land.My first rod reel saltwater combination was Abu Atlantic 402 and a Cardinal 70 reel spooled with 15 lbs line,and that put some big fish on the table.[img][img]http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2671/14550101318839892909100.th.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:14 am 
Fishaholic

you can always try Bass Pro or Cabela. I have ordered twice from Cabela and received the stuff within 1 week used both USPS and UPS, unfortunately both took the same time. Whereas USPS is $20 or 20% of the merchandise price whichever is higher and UPS is $40 or 45% of the Merchandise price which ever is higher. I got a Salt Striker Reel - SS80 (15lb - 540yds, 20lb - 420yds, 25lb - 310yds) costed me around 5K after custom duty.

The best Part is if you really looking for Casting rod instead of Spinning rod than you would get a bomb shell - Shakespear tide rod - 50lb - 130Lb - for just $54 + shipping so should get it within 5K.

So if you can ask your dad to get one than you would easily save up on both the shipping and custom duty. so everything should come within $110

However I would say the Shimano rod from Bopanna is just amazing I have just bought the 8ft one and I am enjoying my fishing with the Saltstriker and Shimano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 am 

Is there any special tax when importing to mumbia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:55 am 
Fishaholic

there is no special tax only the cutom duty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:55 pm 

how much is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:31 am 
Fishaholic

totally depends on the amount of the consignment. They charged me around 670 for a consignment of Rs 4300 (including shipping)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:05 pm 

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome...Any time my friend