->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi All.
Am planning to buy a set of HALCO Sorcerer 68 R32 STD Lures , can any of you guys give a review of the lure,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:37 am 
Fishaholic

19 views and no replies.
Presumably not many people have these lures in their collection but I do have a couple (as well as some Halco poltergeists and several other Aussie baits) so I’ll give you my impressions.
First off, these lures are mainly designed for barramundi fishing from a boat where short casts with a bait casting rod into mangroves and other timber are the order of the day.
To suit this style of fishing, they need to crash dive on the retrieve but be very boyent and have no rear weighting so they will back out of snags and float to the surface on a slack line.
Being so boyant means that they don’t cast well and their design is also prone to tumbling on the cast due to the lack of weighting which can be a pain.
The ability swim a crash diving lure into timber and then float it back (it will swim backwards on a slack line) to almost the same spot and do it again is very handy for inducing a strike from fish holed up in a specific timber pile, but it just means that the lure digs in deep and ends up in the rocks on a straight retrieve.
This realy isn’t a lure for casting from the shore and I don’t even bother putting them in the box when I come to India.
That said, If you have a boat and are fishing mangroves, it’s a good lure with good strong hardware fitted as standard.
The Sorcerer also has a secondary application as a trolling lure as it will track true at lowish speeds and get down to a reasonable depth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:08 am 
Fishaholic

@Ken L

Again Ken to the rescue, with clear & preceise answers. Thanks ken. As i have told previously i mainly fish from piers, so guess this wont be the type of lures to use at the pier..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:15 pm 
Fishaholic

you did it again ken [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:56 pm 
Fishaholic

the STD one wont go too deep .. at max 2 mts.. you can cast the lure, the ideal size for the std lure will be 125 or 150 if you wish to cast it a fair distance... I have all the Soc lures and they are my favourite lures when i troll (with DD).. I also have the std and have caught fish while spinning from rocks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:34 pm 

sorry, I just came outta the slime.I had a whole lot of Halco lures back home in bangalore and used the sorcerer with decent success in freshwater fishing , on murral.

"...To suit this style of fishing, they need to crash dive on the retrieve but be very boyent and have no rear weighting so they will back out of snags and float to the surface on a slack line. .."
Absolutely.Light stuff, but pretty heavy strtikes.
Most halco stuff I used in India was VFM and cheaper than Oz!