->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: How do i make Ragi paste
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:35 pm 
Enlightened

Can someone plz tell me how prepare the ragi paste....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Here goes Simon.
Ragi powder can be mixed with either Jeera powder.
I add about 100 gms of Jeera to a Kg of ragi powder.

Gradually add water and make into a ball and knead like you would for making bread.
Ensure that it is not too dry or too soggy, add water or additional flour to get the right consistency.
The best way to get it perfect is to gradually add water while kneading rather than throwing in too much water in 1 go.

Meanwhilyou sholud have a deep vessel with water boiling (Dont put any ragi into the water just yet).

Break off tennis ball size peices and form them into nice well knit balls,
Once all the balls are ready, and the water is boiling (A little more than half the vessel needs to be full of boiling water.

Start dropping the balls, into the boiling water, taking care to spread them around the bottom of the vessel.
Keep an eye on the water, as soon as the water starts cooling and the boiling stops, due to the drop in tempreature from the addition of the ragi balls in the boiling water, stop and cover the vessel and build the fire up till the water starts boiling again.

Now add another batch of ragi balls, and repeat the procedure, so as to maintain constant tempreature of the water till all the balls are in.
Now cover the vessel and bring to a boil, then keep turning the balls around with a stick so that all of them cook evenly.
If you have maintained proper water tempreature during the cooking, you will need to count about 45 minutes from the addition of the last batch of balls, to the completion of the cooking process.
Poke some of the balls with a sharp stick to check the insides, in fact while the 45 minute boiling process is on, you can make a little hole in each with a sharp stick, to ensure they all cook inside.

The cooked ball should have become slightly brown, and rubbery.

Take them off the fire and drain out all the water.

After they have cooled for a little while (5 to 10 minutes) pour fresh clean water over them and wash off the sticky stuff.

Take the balls to a flat stone and break them up.

At this stage you can add about 10 - 20 gms of hing powder (Asafotedia powder). More can be added if you feel the smell is not strong enough.
Knead well into a big ball, and you are done.

Place the ball in a plastic bag for transport once it has cooled down.

Try to store in a cool place while fishing (easier said than done).

If the balls become too dry and tend to breakup when you knead them on to the hook, add a few drops of water and knead well once more.

Any left over balls for the session or day can be reboiled and used the next morning, or be used for night fishing, or used to bait a swim ( not that it does much good in a fast flowing river) but atleast the water has that ragi /hing jeera flavour taste in it, so the fish won't be too suspicious about your bait.

I do believe the same process can be used with pure wheat flour (not maida) with very good results, and it works for many species of fish including Rohu, carp etc.

Cheers
Owen

Last edited by Owen on Thu May 03, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Gradually add water and make into a ball and knead like you would for making bread.
Ensure that it is not too dry or too soggy, add water or additional flour to get the right consistency.
The best way to get it perfect is to gradually add water while kneading rather than throwing in too much water in 1 go.

I do this stage with hot water from the vessle. This way the 'raw' ragi balls are more or less the same temperature as the water in the pot. Also the water keeps boiling and there is not a great fluctuation in water temp.

Take them off the fire and drain out all the water.

After they have cooled for a little while (5 to 10 minutes) pour fresh clean water over them and wash off the sticky stuff.

Take the balls to a flat stone and break them up.

I kneed the ragi balls when they are still hot, often breaking up 4 to 5 balls to form 1 big ball with a uniform texture. Can be quite painful but excellent texture if done when hot.

Also add my hing just before I cast out. Always have a box of hing powder in my bag.

Cheers,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

You may find my next paragraph quite interesting. I often had the chore of making ragi for fishing trips, it was something I enjoyed doing and took great pride in making the perfect ragi bait. But now as time is scarce and often my saturdays are hectic I don't have the time to make ragi as I used to.
Hence these days I have to resort to some extreme measures.....
1) Mix ragi flour with water till you get a really soggy ball about the size of a tennis ball. They have to be soft enough to just about stay in a circular shape.
2) Bung them into the micro and zap them for 5 to 8 mins depending on the number of balls.
3) While doing step 2, also put in a small plastic cup with water in it. This way the outside of the balls do not dry.
4) Take the balls out of the micro and cut into small cubes with a knife on a chopping board.
5) Wet hands (can use a drop of cooking oil as well) and knead the cubes into a single ball and carry on till you get a uniform consistency.
6) Leave the balls on a cloth to cool, its important to let them 'breathe'
7) In the meanwhile shave, shower and get ready to go out and paint the town red.
8) Just before leaving home throw them into your fishing bag!

This method doesn't involve dirty vessles, ragi paste stuck on one's clothes, the stove, the floor etc :D
The whole street doesn't smell of hing, its easy on gas and in 20 mins you should have enough ragi for your 1 session.

Hope this one helps,
Mighty Marlin 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:43 pm 
Enlightened

thanx a lot...all you ppl are too good....got it really clear..anyway i just saw the sailfish video...do they leave it back..if yes then do they survive after poking with that hook?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

depending where your fishing you can change the smell of the Raagi balls, I fished in malvalli and realised there were a lot of mango trees so I cooked some Raagi with Mango Essence ( I used Rasna mango) and they worked like a charm, I have experimented with honey, elachi curry powder too, works good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:04 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Mighty Marlin"]

Bung them into the micro and zap them for 5 to 8 mins depending on the number of balls.

Getting hight tech huh MM ! Sounds good though mate. Wish i could carry a micro to the river and get it to work. Could spend more time on the water :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Mighty Marlin wrote:

Bung them into the micro and zap them for 5 to 8 mins depending on the number of balls.

Getting hight tech huh MM ! Sounds good though mate. Wish i could carry a micro to the river and get it to work. Could spend more time on the water :lol:

Hey Owen,
At the rate things are going at Galibori you probably will be able to do just that in a couple of years :cry:

Regards,
Mighty M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

The wedding seasons round the corner in mumbai .. any of you guys interested in a job when the fishing is slow or may I add " off the boil "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:15 am 
Fishaholic

:lol: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Fred...