->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:14 am 

hi guys,
could any one help me with what kind of baits it would be best while fishing in a lake and what it would be in a river? we tried out various things like the earthworm, dough made of maida, and even the intestines of chicken, but nothing worked out. please calrify regarding this.
cheers
surej

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Surej,

Before going into nity-gritty of complicated baits and its applications, please understand that earth worm is the best bet in a lake or river. If you are not catching any thing with earthworm then you will not catch any thing on any bait. Looks like you have to look at your setup. I do not know what rig you are using but I am sure re designing your rig as per the water condition will improve your chances of catch manifold. If you want to share your setup and local conditions, I am sure we will be able to help you..

Regards,

Ali. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:06 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Hi Surej,

Before going into nity-gritty of complicated baits and its applications, please understand that earth worm is the best bet in a lake or river. If you are not catching any thing with earthworm then you will not catch any thing on any bait. Looks like you have to look at your setup. I do not know what rig you are using but I am sure re designing your rig as per the water condition will improve your chances of catch manifold. If you want to share your setup and local conditions, I am sure we will be able to help you..

Regards,

Ali. :-)

I second that!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:57 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Surej,

I completely agree with what Ali says. Earthworm is the best bait. Even in heavily fished place like powai we have caught all type of fish on earthworms at time when nothing else was working. Check your rig / setup, the depth you are fishing.. your hook size, location... I am sure if you study the water body decent enough you will catch fish. Keep on trying or consider birding or photography.

Santosh

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:08 pm 

thanks guys
we are using a basic rod called white rabbit or so with a gear ratio 4.6 or something and since being a beginner i was just watching the you tube to learn how to cast. i was happy that i could cast the thing but the later part i was actually not that quite impressed or rather not so happy with that. so if you guys could give me ample advises regarding that i would be happy, tomorrow i am leaving to my native which is in Aluva and there is a river flowing in the back side of the house. so i thought i could cathch some fish there during my free time. thanks guys for ur advise
cheers
surej

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi drsurej,

Best of luck on your Fishing at your native village. Do share with I.A. your report and pics.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 pm 

Dear Suraj

Saw this old thread so wanted to know did you finally manage to fish anything at Aluva . My parents also are staying in Aluva and right on banks of river periyar and I am gonna be there for few days. Will be carrying my rod so wanted to know any luck you had and what baits/locations etc.

Eager to hear.

Rgds

Vipin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Since there was no feed back from Suraj after the guidance and suggestions given to him from fellow anglers, I believe, either he had caught plenty of fish and he does not want to share his catch OR he had no bites at all and as a result he has lost interest in fishing!!!

Vipin, Please find his whereabouts and take him along with you to Aluva and train him. Because actual hands on training is any day fruitful than bookish knowledge!!! :D :D :D

Arun

Post subject: require advise
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:16 pm 

hello iam new to the forum.i have been trying my hand at angling but i have had no luck so far.
i bought a big water ugly stik 10 feet
and a 4 gear reel
i have tried fishing at sutlej barrage lots of rohu and snakeheads there but lost a lot of spinners mepps got disheartened.
once again i have now tried twice at indravati river in chattisgarh but no luck.
i used earthworms,small fishes,atta dough spinners but still no bite..i need advise how to determine what fishes are there,what baits to use,what sought changes do i need to do to my rig..i will be visiting chennai and calicut soon and want to try out there at sea also so some advise would help..josh remains high..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Keep the Josh up!! You shall catch fish soon. What you need is someone's practical guidance. Try to contact Chennai folks on Indian angler when you are in chennai.

I do not know, how you lost your spinners. Whether they got snagged in the rocks or wood or fish cut your line?

Wishing you tight lines.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:30 pm 

Vijay

Although I am also pretty new to angling and to this forum and there are more experts who could reply this better, basis some adventures on recent trip let me say few words.

(1) Cathing stuff in the open river / large reservoir is very tough and needs a lot of planning , local knowledge and patience. So your hit ratio will be very poor
(2) So in the beginning its best to check for local angling club or group and you join them on their trips as critical thing is being at the right place where fish are there , at the right time of the day , with the right gear/baits which fish would hook onto
(3) If you plan to do something on your own then try small ponds etc nearby which would be easier and more focussed
(4) Wherever you trip first do a recce of the place to identify spots you might have fish, watch for critical fish signs , thats very important. It may be a big waterbody but perhaps humans have overfished and exhausted that place.
(5) Most import is local knowledge , when you do the recce check for fish signs / ideal locations , jetty's with pillar , grassy patches on sides , a possible underwater reef like groves etc could be havens for fishes. Also try to see if you can locate local fisherman and enquire with on spots/baits to be used etc ,although may not be friendly always . Some places the fish are so used to some local delicacy bait they are always caught , they just don't eat anything
(6) So you have to do a lot of planning if you seriously want to land something, but otherwise if want to take it casually , thats always fine , just don't build any expectations and feel disappointed/frustrated

Regarding gear would let someone more experienced comment. Catching fish is not always important , but focus on the experience and with each cast you grow matured and start catching more and more fish slowly . I recently spent almost a week in Kerala backwaters and at a place which could be considered a fish haven, but came back nil. But what I gained was a key virtue to sustain your interest in angling , which is patience to eternity and have no expectations , just enjoy the experience and keep the learning curve.

When you are in Chennai let me know/PM and we could catch up and try something together if I am in town.

Rgds

Vipin