->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:15 am 

I know that this has been discussed over other forums time and again and I still am confused.

Well here is the story, I have a Abu Ambassaduer 9000i and an Abu 6500 C4. I use these on Galibore. I agree 9000i is an overkill, but it goes well with the Big water casting rod 2 pc 10 ft from Shakespeare, the reel is spooled with 40lb mono.

And I use the c4 with a 8 ft rod and have a 20lb line on it. And I have another cabela prodigy on a fish eagle (7ft, 2pc) for Murral, that is spooled with 15 lb mono.

I am looking at starting shore fishing (intention is to go to Managlore / Chennai and try that).

I am looking at buying another reel and this time I was thinking of buying a non-level wind. I have the Shimano Torium size 16 or 20 in mind or the Ambassadeur 6500 Mag Elite or the Ambassadeur 7000iC3.

I am not keen on the 7000iC3 as I am not very comfortable with the chinese stuff. The 9000i's clicker has given me enough problems that I need to fix it on every trip.

Either I go with the torium or 6500 mag or I am also inclined to just stick to the classic C3 6500 still made in sweden.

The Question of course is how easy or difficult it is to use the non-level wind reel. Is it something that can be learnt like using the thumb on baitcasting to avoid backlash. Any opinion from folks who have non-level wind will be great.

Apologies for the longish post.

Thank you
Ranjeet singh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:10 pm 

I've used 7000ic3's on the cauvery for a few years and they perform well but I have found one fault that means I am looking for the older 7000 or 9000s.

The problem I have encountered is when casting, the free spool has come on in mid cast., The result is ragi or chila every where, big splash and on e occasion a ruined gear.

This has happened ony 3 or four occasions and I have spare reels so it hasn't stopped me fishing. It's aso happened to two other guys when casting so I know its not me!

Other than that they are fine.

A pal of mine has the older push button spool release and these don't appear to have this issue. Appears only to be on hte later lever type release reels.

Also, I some times feel the capacity of 40lb mono is somehwat low, hence I think the 9000's are ideal or maybe a shimano/penn.

cheers,

Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

For surf fishing, I would advise a 10000 size spinning reel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:29 pm 

Thanks for the responses.

Bops, the 10000 is again Chinese made same as a 9000i. And also for Surf fishing the intention is to use braid with mono leader of 7-10 feet with a blood knot. Hence a 6500 size should suffice. The question however remains whether it is better to go with the levelwinder or with the non-level winder And how easy is it to use your thumb to direct the line onto the spool in an even manner on a nonlevel wind baitcaster.

Cheers
Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:35 pm 

veyseym wrote:
The problem I have encountered is when casting, the free spool has come on in mid cast., The result is ragi or chila every where, big splash and on e occasion a ruined gear.

I haven't had this problem yet as the 9000i that I have - The spool is not engaged even when you turn the handle to reel in. The spool gets engaged only when you manually push back the lever that is used to put the reel in free spool. But I have had problems with the clicker not working on more than one occasion.

Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:39 am 

It woud seem there are differences in how the 9000 & 7000 work, on the 7000 the freespool can be engaged either by winding the handle or operating the lever.

I had the clicker fail too - when the freespool kicked in and the enertia sprung the retaining clip. easily fixed but a pain.

As for the level wind, my thinking is to go with it firstly because I cam not casting big distances - 60-80 yards and also when I do sometimes get a good fish the line is nicely laid down and also given out on the clutch.

Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:58 am 
Fishaholic

If you fishing from shore especially from the rocks and spinning you need a reel tats fast because the action can be heart pounding when a shoal of mullet has been ambushed by jacks or Barracuda or GTs.Spinning reels score high on reliability and would be the first choice,check the thread 9500ss and you may have your answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Ranjeet wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

Bops, the 10000 is again Chinese made same as a 9000i. And also for Surf fishing the intention is to use braid with mono leader of 7-10 feet with a blood knot. Hence a 6500 size should suffice. The question however remains whether it is better to go with the levelwinder or with the non-level winder And how easy is it to use your thumb to direct the line onto the spool in an even manner on a nonlevel wind baitcaster.

Cheers
Ranjeet

Ranjeet, I am advising a spinning reel in size 10000 instead of a multiplier. A Daiwa emblem 5500 or a Shimano Alivio 1000FA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:13 am 

Thanks Bops, I will look at spinning reel options though I am looking at multipliers reels. As I started fishing a few years ago, I very quickly moved to multipliers, no particular reason, People I was fishing were using only multipliers then. Now I have only one spinning reel with a telescopic rod, all the other reels and rods are for multipliers. Now I find it natural to use a right hand multiplier. Still get a few bird nests but since I stated with multipliers, I never knew anything better. Also for a given line capacity a multiplier reel is smaller in size and weight than a spinning reel.

I am actually thinking if I should buy a non-level wind multipliers for shore fishing, or stick to a multplier with a level winder.

Cheers
Raneet

Post subject: level winder
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:26 am 
Enlightened

Hi Renjeeth

I'm no expert but what I did was to just remove the level winder from my abu 6500 as well as the plastic gear which drives the worm gear,leaving the worm gear and its covering tube in place, an expert in the field adviced me to remove the above covering tube as well as the worm gear and have a lathe made stainless steel rod replacement in place of the removed tube.

Vincent

Post subject: level winder or not
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:35 am 
Enlightened

You could try out if you like a reel without a level winder by doing this first and then go for the mag elite or like

vincent

Post subject: mag elite exploded 3d
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:41 am 
Enlightened

check out the 3d link on this site guys

www.hudstonengineer.co.cc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:31 am 

vincent wrote:
You could try out if you like a reel without a level winder by doing this first and then go for the mag elite or like
vincent

Thank you Vincent. Trying out would be the best. Since you have done this already, do you miss the level winder while reeling in ?. For a long time this modification has been done as Abu did not make reels without level winder but now they have one in the 6500 size and 7000 size. You can buy a non-level winder 6500 size, brand new, for about $154 from online tackle shops. And obviously look for some used ones at better prices.

Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ranjeet,

If you let us know what application the reel will be used for we will be able to give you better advice. We know you want to fish in the sea but what kind of fish do you want to catch, which venues will you fish and what kind of baits?

Its no good just to go with a multiplier because its what you are used to because a spinning reel might be far more effective for the type of fishing you have in mind. for example if you are throwing lures from the rocks in the dark using a multiplier loaded with braid you will probably regret it big time!..however if you were using a suitable sized spinning reel loaded with mono you will have far less line mangement problems and are likely to land more fish due to less cut offs.

On the other hand if you are fishing a clean beach or estuary a multiplier loaded with braid might make more sense. Remember also many fixed spool reels will come with a spare spool (or even two) meaning the reel can cover a number of applications.

let us know your plans in detail and hopefully we can help further..

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:43 am 

The intention is to fish from a beach, using mackrel/ sardine/ prawns as bait with some lead to keep the bait down. I'll not sure what I'll get on that.

I understand that for metal lures and plugs, a spinning outfit is more appropriate.

Please advise on the reel for using baits off a beach.

Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:07 am 
Fishaholic

Ranjeet,

I use Non_level wind conventionals and love them so much.
I have no problem using them for plugging bombers at night.

But here are a few thing that you need to consider:

Surf fishing in Chennai means you are fishing rough seas and you are fighting some mean fish out there. An Abu 6500 Mag Elite (I have a 6500 C3 CT Mag) is a great reel to cast. But the problem is setting the hook. I had problems setting the hook with 14 lb mono when the fish were 100 yards or further away.I do not prefer braid on my conventionals, but still tend to use it. Do not go over 14 lb mono on a 6500 reel.

I would suggest something like an Abu 7500 C3CT. Try to get the original blue sweedish made reel (one of the best surf reel ever made). Load it with 25 lb mono and you should be good to fish (I assume you are plugging). Your fingers will learn to level wind in No time. Still setting the hook if you are fishing top water might be a bit hard. I have lost some fish because of that. But hey, I prefer to fish the way I like (fighting the fish with the line over the rod) so go ahead and have fun.

However, if you are using a Shimano 8000 FI reel with 50 lb braid on a 10 feet surf rod, then you will be having fun with those big mean GTs in no time. Throwing a 2.5 oz hopkins (use a 3/0 or a 4/0 VMC bucktail trebble) and reeling it fast .... Spinning gear is the way to go. Just to let you know.

Cheers,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:11 am 
Fishaholic

I just read your post about fishing bait.
I wouldn't consider a Spinning gear or a level wind conventional for that.
A Non-Level wind conventional is a go to for chunking bait out there.

However, for surf fishing in Chennai unless you are after some rays or anything like that why would you fish bait. Chennai has some nice lure fishing. Go ahead and fool the fish with some wood/metal/plastic of your choice.

Cheers,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:51 am 

Thank you Muruthu, As everything else in life, I guess, it just boils down to preference. I am more inclined to invest in a new multiplier than a large spinning reel and rod. Part of the reason I already have baitcasting rods and no spinning rods.
I'll try and see what I can get. May be difficult to get a 7500 C3CT, a quick search on internet shows it is in the $220 upwards range - used. For that money a shimano torium can be bought- brand new. What do you think of these reels in the size 16 or 20.

Now the most important piece of information that I was looking for. And I have searched the internet with limited success is how difficult is it to use fingers to level wind.

When I was a kid I used to fly kites using those reels (charka) and using my hands to level wind :). I am sure most of us have done that. Now there aren't any reels with level wind for flying kites - you never know there might be some:).

Can you show or point to a pic or a video to show how does one level wind using your fingers.

lure_fisherman wrote:
Ranjeet,
Your fingers will learn to level wind in No time.

Cheers
Ranjeet Singh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:47 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ranjeet,

You use your thumb and index finger to spread the line evenly over the spool, as you are holding the rod under the reel you push the line with your thumb across the spool from one side and then push with your finger back to the other, repeating this process as you wind.

It will all come naturally.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:28 am 

Thanks Bobby, I can picture that. And the comment that it will come naturally removes all the doubt that I had.

if you could also suggest a reel - non-level wind, within the $200 mark that will be much appreciated. Quick search over the internet gets Shimano Torium series, Abu 6500 CT Mag Elite, 7000i C3 CT MAg HS within that range.

Cheers
Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 am 
Fishaholic

I do not use OH reels often for Spinning or Casting so perhaps someone who uses them more frequently will be a better person to advise.

I have an Abu and Pen that I use occasionally, the only OH reels I have used frequently are my big game reels.

My favourite OH reel is the Daiwa Sealine Casting Reel, arguably one of the best OH casting reels ever made. They also have a leaver drag version (not the Offshore version).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHwjj0tqaY

Last edited by Bobby on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:53 am 

Thank you for the youtube link - now in the related videos I can see a lot of videos that show how to use the thumb to level wind. And I spent a whole day searching for something like that couldn't find one, guess I was using the wrong phrases... That shows there is still scope for a better search engine than google for idiots like me :-).

Now i see that Daiwa SealineĀ®-X Saltwater Reels are something interesting. Not too heavy less than 20oz and you have them in two line capacity. Thank you Bobby. your post was really helpful for me

Cheers
Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Ranjeet,

I would rather fish a Penn Jigmaster 500L over the 7000 i-series Abu reels.
If you are going for a smaller reel, I would recommend an Abu Blue Yonder.

Try to find the older version of the reel.
The one in the first link is the old style and the one in the second link is the new style.
I would stick to the older versions as much as I could. They are worth that little extra effort looking for 'em.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... stcount=14

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... ostcount=1

Cheers, Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

I would also recommend the Penn GS series reels.
For plugging with 17 lb mono or 50 lb braid, go with the 525 Mag.
You have some choice of bigger reels in that series for bigger applications.

Those are some great conventional reels by Penn.
Also, try Penn squidder 140 L. Try to get the one with Aluminium spool.
Plastic spool is okay, but stay away from the metal spools, unless you want to challenge your thumb :wink:

Cheers,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 pm 

Thank you for your suggestions, Maruthu. I looked at the blue yonder over the internet. Now was wondering how do they compare with the 6500 C3 CT mag. Are they same? The price point seems to be the about the same.

Cheers
Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:05 am 
Fishaholic

Ranjeet wrote:
Thank you for your suggestions, Maruthu. I looked at the blue yonder over the internet. Now was wondering how do they compare with the 6500 C3 CT mag. Are they same? The price point seems to be the about the same.

Cheers
Ranjeet

I have the 6500 C3 CT mag and it is a great reel. But the Blue Yonder is a more rigid reel.
Abu C3 CT mag has mag brakes that will help you plug with small plastics even with mild wind against your face. But it does not have a clicker. If you are fishing bait, then you are better off with the clicker on the Blue Yonder. And there is no need for Mag control in an Abu reel unless you are using really light lures. Either way, look for the older version of the Abu. You can tell the difference by looking at the handle and the star drag knob.

BTW, I prefer an 8 foot to 9 foot surf rod to use with a 6500 Abu.

Cheers, Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 am 

lure_fisherman wrote:
Abu C3 CT mag has mag brakes that will help you plug with small plastics even with mild wind against your face. But it does not have a clicker.
Cheers, Maruthu

I saw some pictures on the net, I know I am not allowed to sneak in a commercial link, however tackle direct has some enlarged images of Abu C3 CT Mag in 6500 size and I see a clicker on that, same on some videos on youtube. May be the versions available now have clickers.

If they do have clickers then I think I am better off with the mag brakes included.

Thank you
Ranjeet