[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Non level wind or level wind - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:49 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:15 am 

I know that this has been discussed over other forums time and again and I still am confused.

Well here is the story, I have a Abu Ambassaduer 9000i and an Abu 6500 C4. I use these on Galibore. I agree 9000i is an overkill, but it goes well with the Big water casting rod 2 pc 10 ft from Shakespeare, the reel is spooled with 40lb mono.

And I use the c4 with a 8 ft rod and have a 20lb line on it. And I have another cabela prodigy on a fish eagle (7ft, 2pc) for Murral, that is spooled with 15 lb mono.

I am looking at starting shore fishing (intention is to go to Managlore / Chennai and try that).

I am looking at buying another reel and this time I was thinking of buying a non-level wind. I have the Shimano Torium size 16 or 20 in mind or the Ambassadeur 6500 Mag Elite or the Ambassadeur 7000iC3.

I am not keen on the 7000iC3 as I am not very comfortable with the chinese stuff. The 9000i's clicker has given me enough problems that I need to fix it on every trip.

Either I go with the torium or 6500 mag or I am also inclined to just stick to the classic C3 6500 still made in sweden.

The Question of course is how easy or difficult it is to use the non-level wind reel. Is it something that can be learnt like using the thumb on baitcasting to avoid backlash. Any opinion from folks who have non-level wind will be great.

Apologies for the longish post.

Thank you
Ranjeet singh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:10 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:29 pm 

Thanks for the responses.

Bops, the 10000 is again Chinese made same as a 9000i. And also for Surf fishing the intention is to use braid with mono leader of 7-10 feet with a blood knot. Hence a 6500 size should suffice. The question however remains whether it is better to go with the levelwinder or with the non-level winder And how easy is it to use your thumb to direct the line onto the spool in an even manner on a nonlevel wind baitcaster.

Cheers
Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:39 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:58 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:13 am 

Post subject: level winder
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:26 am 
Enlightened

Post subject: level winder or not
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:35 am 
Enlightened

Post subject: mag elite exploded 3d
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:41 am 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:31 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:43 am 

The intention is to fish from a beach, using mackrel/ sardine/ prawns as bait with some lead to keep the bait down. I'll not sure what I'll get on that.

I understand that for metal lures and plugs, a spinning outfit is more appropriate.

Please advise on the reel for using baits off a beach.

Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:07 am 
Fishaholic

Ranjeet,

I use Non_level wind conventionals and love them so much.
I have no problem using them for plugging bombers at night.

But here are a few thing that you need to consider:

Surf fishing in Chennai means you are fishing rough seas and you are fighting some mean fish out there. An Abu 6500 Mag Elite (I have a 6500 C3 CT Mag) is a great reel to cast. But the problem is setting the hook. I had problems setting the hook with 14 lb mono when the fish were 100 yards or further away.I do not prefer braid on my conventionals, but still tend to use it. Do not go over 14 lb mono on a 6500 reel.

I would suggest something like an Abu 7500 C3CT. Try to get the original blue sweedish made reel (one of the best surf reel ever made). Load it with 25 lb mono and you should be good to fish (I assume you are plugging). Your fingers will learn to level wind in No time. Still setting the hook if you are fishing top water might be a bit hard. I have lost some fish because of that. But hey, I prefer to fish the way I like (fighting the fish with the line over the rod) so go ahead and have fun.

However, if you are using a Shimano 8000 FI reel with 50 lb braid on a 10 feet surf rod, then you will be having fun with those big mean GTs in no time. Throwing a 2.5 oz hopkins (use a 3/0 or a 4/0 VMC bucktail trebble) and reeling it fast .... Spinning gear is the way to go. Just to let you know.

Cheers,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:11 am 
Fishaholic

I just read your post about fishing bait.
I wouldn't consider a Spinning gear or a level wind conventional for that.
A Non-Level wind conventional is a go to for chunking bait out there.

However, for surf fishing in Chennai unless you are after some rays or anything like that why would you fish bait. Chennai has some nice lure fishing. Go ahead and fool the fish with some wood/metal/plastic of your choice.

Cheers,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:51 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:47 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:28 am 

Thanks Bobby, I can picture that. And the comment that it will come naturally removes all the doubt that I had.

if you could also suggest a reel - non-level wind, within the $200 mark that will be much appreciated. Quick search over the internet gets Shimano Torium series, Abu 6500 CT Mag Elite, 7000i C3 CT MAg HS within that range.

Cheers
Ranjeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 am 
Fishaholic

I do not use OH reels often for Spinning or Casting so perhaps someone who uses them more frequently will be a better person to advise.

I have an Abu and Pen that I use occasionally, the only OH reels I have used frequently are my big game reels.

My favourite OH reel is the Daiwa Sealine Casting Reel, arguably one of the best OH casting reels ever made. They also have a leaver drag version (not the Offshore version).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHwjj0tqaY

Last edited by Bobby on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:53 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:05 am