->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Float Fishing
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:07 pm 

I know a few small spots in Pune, and i try going about once a week. The thing is a dont have a rod yet. So i have line, ive used a metal pellet about 8 inches from hook as weight, and a light reed(i think it is) as a float. The float stands almost straight up in the water. Ive tried a few different spots, but quite often i miss fish. When i fish bited, the float does not submerge. On some occasions when it has submerged, ive hooked the fish. Sometimes the float dippes suddenly just by a tiny bit, but when i pull i dont hook anything. And only a small piece of the earthworm is missing. Secondly, i dont know at what depth to keep the hook below the water surface. Last time i tried about 6 feet below the surface, but didnt get many bites. The ones i got were too miniscule to catch anything. Any advice on the same would be helpful :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi there,

First of all, as you are not using a rod, it is difficult to exicute a strike. Secondly, in your set up lift bite is more sure to produce result. I do not know the topography of the place where you are fishing but if you keep your hook 4 to 6 inches above the bottom, your chances of getting more fishes will improve.

Best of luck for future fishing.

Regards,

Ali.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:14 pm 

Dear Ali Bhai,
I have read your post with lots of intrest on using specially designed rig for Catla/Rohu in Powai, our gang mostly spin for cat fish around Hyd . Its bait cating technique which requires refining & there is no better person then you. Please guide us on the following.
- The size of hooks you use in your rigs.
- Does use of float is any important??
- Angling with a Spin rod & reel set up, by your advice putting the reel in bait casting mode I understand the drag should be loosened enough for the fish to make a free run, is that correct.
- What set up you recommend for Pop Ups??
- Can we get a folding rod holder which can grip two or more rods & if this is available locally??
Bait used locally for rohu is a residue of harvested rice or do your recommend some other concotion.
I know its too much of asking but I am shameless to learn from the guru of bait casting... ,
With Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:16 pm 
Fishaholic

STRIVE2003 wrote:
Dear Ali Bhai,
I have read your post with lots of intrest on using specially designed rig for Catla/Rohu in Powai, our gang mostly spin for cat fish around Hyd . Its bait cating technique which requires refining & there is no better person then you. Please guide us on the following.
- The size of hooks you use in your rigs.
- Does use of float is any important??
- Angling with a Spin rod & reel set up, by your advice putting the reel in bait casting mode I understand the drag should be loosened enough for the fish to make a free run, is that correct.
- What set up you recommend for Pop Ups??
- Can we get a folding rod holder which can grip two or more rods & if this is available locally??
Bait used locally for rohu is a residue of harvested rice or do your recommend some other concotion.
I know its too much of asking but I am shameless to learn from the guru of bait casting... ,
With Regards,

Hi Strive,
I will try to answer all your questions as you have asked--

- I use size 6-8 hooks with my feeder rig.
- Using float with feeder rig is not rcommended. As such in float fishing float is of paramount importance.. Without a good and balanced float you will miss bites or it will not register. With a feeder rig a policeman on the line will do very nicely.

- If you do not have a baitcaster reel, loosing your drag will do but do not loos drag so much to avoide birdnest in case of a strong run.

- hair rig with a cork ball of 10-12 mm dia will do very nicely..

- You have to make your own rod holder. PVC pipes are very good rod holders.

-For Rohu use the below mix
Rosted grams 100 grms.
Rice 50 grms.
Shugar 50 grms.
Cardamom 6 pcs.

Grind all the above in a mixer very finly.

Make dough of the white part of one pack of bread and then mix approximatly 50 grms of above mentioned powder. Put this on your feeder as well as hooks. Once the feeder is ready to cast roll it into the powder once again.

One tip....casting your feeder far dose not produce a fish--Casting it on a right spot will.

Hope I have replied to all your question. If you catch any big fish, tell it my name and then release it.. :D
Tight lines..

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:59 pm 

Ali Bhai,

Thanks a lot for your instant reply, the tips are very useful & I will try my luck, will share my experience with you.

Thanks& Regards,

Strive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:43 am 

Today i went to a nearby pond, i needed to kill about a half hour before my tution, and i had a line in my bike (just a line, hook, weight). I cast out from shore, didnt get any bites for about 10 minutes, was using bread. But each time i pulled up the bread was gone. i assumed it was just falling off when i pulled. After 10 minutes i decided to get going, so i pulled and at that moment i saw the float moving the opposite direction, and i had a decently sized tilapia on line. Could it be that my float was too light to detect bites? Or maybe my hook was touching bottom so i didnt detect the bites. My float stands almost straight in water (its half a peacock feather). And my weight is a beaten up metal pellet. Could it be that the weight is so heavy that when the fish were eating the bait without the float being affected (but i doubt this, cause i said earlier the float stands almost straight).

Oh and pic's, not that impressive but the whole thing was hardly 15 minutes. And i released the fish, i didnt want to kill such a nice looking specimen, even though my friend wanted to eat it :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

I've been following you thread here M, leave it with me and I'll get a short film together to show you a bit more about fishing with a float.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi there Mukundh,

All this remind me so much of what I did many moons ago. Looking back those were the best fishing days ever. Not because we caught more or less but because we did it for the sheer fun of it.

I really don't know how you have set up the float, weight and hook. The only advice I can offer is that you check out how your rig works in a tub of water. make the distance between the float and the weight short. Then see if the float can support the weight and keep it of the bottom.

Here are some good sites to visit.

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/getting ... ishing.htm

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/getting ... ishing.htm

Or just youtube Matt Hayes and watch his entire set of films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:14 pm 

I have a whole bunch of those dvd's on my harddrive. My main question is basically,if my float is suspended (almost) vertically when the hook is off the ground, i will be able to register bites right? I was using light reed's before, but im using peacock feather as off now, so im wondering if the float is too light to detect bites compared with the weight. But then it wouldn't stand up vertical in the water right? Thanks a ton guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mukundh,

Your enthusiasm is contagious and as rightly pointed out by Ken, it reminds all of us how we started fishing. Some of my work is going on in Pune and I often go there. Give me your contact no. (PM) and I will surly meet you there and tell you some secrets of this trade. Still better if you wish to come to Mumbai, I invite you to be my guest in Powai and I will make sure that you catch some good fishes.

There will come a time when you will find it below your dignity to catch a tilapia but believe me right now is the best time of your angling life.

Keep the torch of passion burning and best of luck for your future fishing.

It will be my pleasure to meet you and don’t shy away from asking.

And last but not the least, As you are the youngest member of our community, I would love to gift you your first rod on behalf of Indian Angler.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

truly alibhai...

hats off to u..

this how a teacher , teaching in any field should be..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Ali Bhai,

What a Nice Gesture from a Senior Angler to an enthusiastic upcoming Angler! Hats off to you!

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Mukundh,

Believe me, under guidance of Mr. Ali, you would soon acquire the valuable tips and you would be a good Angler in years to come. However, as rightly said by Mr. Keyur, DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR STUDIES.

With Best wishes,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:56 pm 

Wow i literally suddenly broke into a smile after a long painful day at college. My dad wondered what happened. That would be absolutely BRILLIANT, even more so coming as it is from an expert like you. I would absolutely love to meet you in person also. :D Even fishing at powai lake would be amazing, even if i dont really catch much :/ Ill send my number in a pm. Please dont go out of your way or anything to call !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:32 pm 

hi Ali
plz tell me about murall is he bite on aliga meps these days in sep and oct plz tell me about mural i m waiting for ur reply
thnaks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:18 pm 

Hi again. I went to the same place again. Got 2 fish. And i lost my first fish today ! It was the strongest one easily, and i managed to hook it, and it came up to the surface (i was fishing barely 1 and half feet off the bottom) and i saw a silver sheen and suddenly the hook popped out and whizzed past my face :P. I know its nothing to be happy about, but i mean you got to experiance the down's the actually understand the up's :D And i think im finally getting the hang of the float thing. Sometimes it dips partially and pops back up, when the fish is 'tasting', sometimes it dips below water and pops up immediately, in which case i either pulled with bait almost gone, or i think there was too much slack in line so the hook didnt set. Then there is the case when the float dips, and stays down for more than a second or two, thats when you pull and get an amazing feeling of something tugging your line :D Oh and caught and released again :P

Picture of the lake.

P.s. sorry for th facial expression, i was trying to take a picture of myself without getting my phone wet :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:22 pm 
Fishaholic

I'm happy you're catching now.
Hopefully I'll be able to film a bit about a setting up for float fishing this weekend. In the meantime, take a look at this film I shot last weekend, it will show you a bit more about fishing with a float even if it is a bit complicated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nffS0rX6Y

You can see how far down we set the float so you can see bites easily. Perhaps you need some more weight on the float?
I'll explain the mechanics of it all once I can get out and do some filming of myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:18 pm 

Thanks man. I think ive more or less got it. Wait for the float to go down fully, and pull a second or half a second after it submerges. Now its just about practice. Thanks a ton, you've been a great help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:40 pm 

Good Job Mukund, now you are on the ball!
Good luck and keep on doing it.That lake looks like a good place for murral! check it out with your new Ali rod! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:01 pm 

Yeah a couple of local people told me they caught mangur here before. Will earthworms do as bait? Ive caught these tilapia with atta/bread, i tried one morning with earthworm and got NO bites (literally). Next time i tried atta and im 15 mins i had caught my second tilapia ever :P. You have NO idea how much im waiting to meet the great ali bhai :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:55 pm 

Cant say, its your lake, its your bait! ;)
so keep on baiting till you hook on.
mangur and sowl will most likely be better attracted by meat and stuff like chicken skin or guts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:59 pm 
Fishaholic

javeed wrote:
hi Ali
plz tell me about murall is he bite on aliga meps these days in sep and oct plz tell me about mural i m waiting for ur reply
thnaks

The best way to catch murrel is to present a live bait like a frog but yes they do take spinners and softies.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:36 pm 

Hello. Today i hooked a jalpari (dunno its english name). Decent sized fish (maybe 600-700 gm). I pulled it up and it was thrashing wildly, i lowered it into the water hoping that it would calm down a little, it started turning in circle an made off with my hook in its mouth! My hook's dont have eye's, they're a real pain to tie on, and i guess my present knot really isnt working :/ I was bored so i tried covering my weight with atta and chucking it in. I actually saw my float dip a few times :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mukundh,
You have got a nice lake there... Try spinners, if there are murrels they will strike it.. You could use this knot for spade end hooks, I use them and they are pretty good..

http://www.dorkingas.co.uk/Knots/Spade% ... d_knot.htm

Cheers,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:29 pm 

get your rod quickly , and then use all the tricks you are picking up here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:42 pm 

Yeah man. i really cant wait ! I probably wont be able to spin in the spot where i float, there's hardly 7 feet left uncovered. but there may be a few more spots on the lake with open water to check out. Thanks alot, and binu, thanks for the knot, all my hooks are like that :/

Post subject: Spade End Knot
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:48 pm 

[quote="binu"]Hi Mukundh,
You have got a nice lake there... Try spinners, if there are murrels they will strike it.. You could use this knot for spade end hooks, I use them and they are pretty good..

http://www.dorkingas.co.uk/Knots/Spade% ... d_knot.htm

Cheers,
Binu[/quote]

thanks for the spade end knot tip