Dear Ali Bhai,
I have read your post with lots of intrest on using specially designed rig for Catla/Rohu in Powai, our gang mostly spin for cat fish around Hyd . Its bait cating technique which requires refining & there is no better person then you. Please guide us on the following.
- The size of hooks you use in your rigs.
- Does use of float is any important??
- Angling with a Spin rod & reel set up, by your advice putting the reel in bait casting mode I understand the drag should be loosened enough for the fish to make a free run, is that correct.
- What set up you recommend for Pop Ups??
- Can we get a folding rod holder which can grip two or more rods & if this is available locally??
Bait used locally for rohu is a residue of harvested rice or do your recommend some other concotion.
I know its too much of asking but I am shameless to learn from the guru of bait casting... ,
I will try to answer all your questions as you have asked--
- I use size 6-8 hooks with my feeder rig.
- Using float with feeder rig is not rcommended. As such in float fishing float is of paramount importance.. Without a good and balanced float you will miss bites or it will not register. With a feeder rig a policeman on the line will do very nicely.
- If you do not have a baitcaster reel, loosing your drag will do but do not loos drag so much to avoide birdnest in case of a strong run.
- hair rig with a cork ball of 10-12 mm dia will do very nicely..
- You have to make your own rod holder. PVC pipes are very good rod holders.
-For Rohu use the below mix
Rosted grams 100 grms.
Rice 50 grms.
Shugar 50 grms.
Cardamom 6 pcs.
Grind all the above in a mixer very finly.
Make dough of the white part of one pack of bread and then mix approximatly 50 grms of above mentioned powder. Put this on your feeder as well as hooks. Once the feeder is ready to cast roll it into the powder once again.
One tip....casting your feeder far dose not produce a fish--Casting it on a right spot will.
Hope I have replied to all your question. If you catch any big fish, tell it my name and then release it..