->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:45 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Decided to pick up a couple of rods to bring with me when I come out next Feb.
I already have a 2 1/2lb TC carp rod and light spinning rod, both of which I use for spinning. They are in storage in Goa, so I shouldn't have too many problems with baggage allowances.

I'm assuming uptiders are best for baitfishing, but how strong?

I'll try Shimano, as I'll be talking to them about Owen's rod! Any other manufacturers you can recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:18 pm 
Fishaholic

And how long?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Steve,

The norm seems to be 9'6" uptide in the 4-8 or 6-10 oz. casting weight category coupled with a multiplier loaded with 40 lb. mono.

Ever considered a catfish rod with a 4 to 6 lbs. TC and a Shimano Long Cast Baitrunner? Haven't tried it yet but intend to. If it works, it means you wont have to lug a 6' rod tube.

Rustam

Last edited by Rustam Bana on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Rusty, A 4 to 6 oz TC is meant for tiddlers. I think you mean 4 to 6 lbs TC, and that would be a walking stick, more over carp rods usually close out at 3.5 to 4 lbs TC. So if Steve is looking to use this type of rod due to length constraints a 3.5 lb TC should work OK with a spinning reel.
However these days there are good travel rods that will work well with multipliers available but do cost a tidy packet.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:58 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree with Owen on the travel rods .. i picked up a couple of boat rods from the UK . Both are 30/60 and five pieces with a very convenient hard travel pouch . One is a Ron Emerson and the other a Flex .. waiting to see how they perform under some real stress

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

And yes they do cost a packet .. couple of them put me back 199 pounds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

A good travel rod for mahseer would be the Shimano Exage STC Spinning Rod

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/catalog/ ... ts_id=1387

Model: TEXS270MH

It's a six piece 2.70 metre rod. Agreed it won't be as strong as a two piece but it's real handy to carry on flights.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Rusty, A 4 to 6 oz TC is meant for tiddlers. I think you mean 4 to 6 lbs TC, and that would be a walking stick.

Mea culpa. Mistake duly corrected.

Quote:
more over carp rods usually close out at 3.5 to 4 lbs TC. So if Steve is looking to use this type of rod due to length constraints a 3.5 lb TC should work OK with a spinning reel.

I was refering to catfish rods. May get one this November and you could try it when we meet. If it works it will be great - transportation wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
A good travel rod for mahseer would be the Shimano Exage STC Spinning Rod
Model: TEXS270MH

How big a mahseer could that handle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Not what i would go for, too few guides to be used with a multiplier, OK for spinning, and with a cast weight capacity of 40 gms, just not good enough for a ragi ball or a chilwa, where the spiral lead alone could weigh more than 40 gms.
I saw one that had Wilsons name on it somewhere on the web. Costs a bomb, but looked like the right tool for the job. Maybe on the Ryobi website.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:00 pm 
Fishaholic

chris the fish wrote:
hi guys

if you after a good travel adventure rods for spinning the new wychwood grand tourer rods are now avaliable in the uk, there are 4 models in the range, they are the following

12ft 2.75lb [5 peice] -light bait fishing, made for big carp fishing in europe
12ft 3lb [5 peice] - light bait fishing, made for big carp fishing in europe

10ft 2.75 [5peice] - great spinning rod for mahseer to 35lb
10ft 4.5lb [5 peice]- will hold fish to 100lb and bigger, made specifically for carp and cats on the river ebro in spain, good goonch rod, or big plugs 10" and big rubber baits, or for ragi...many uses

they all retail for about 70 pounds, but im sure you will find some better deals out there plus you get a free hard case for the rods as well

on my last trip up north i used a wychwood jungle rod 9ft 2.75, and it was brilliant, light enought to use all day and strong enough to subdue fish to just under 43lb in the rapids , it comes in 2 sections, and retails for £60.

let me know if you need any more info or just look on our website

www.wychwoodtackle.co.uk

cheers

chris :shock:

Hi Steve,

I don't know if you saw what Chris posted on another thread. They seem perfect for somone who wants to travel.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:09 am 
Fishaholic

Rusty,

Fondled an Exage in a shop here, the other day. It goes for over Rp2000 here. It's good probably for casting lures and handling mahseer up to 15-lb, that's it. The butt wouldn't have the power to handle bigger fish. But you can pack this fella in a briefcase if you want!

><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:45 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Aznir.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

The Exage spinning rods are only rated to cast 60g and struggle to control Mahseer in the mid 20's.

There are heavier travel spinning rods available with both Greys and Wynchwood offering rods rated to cast 100g.

As said, there are travel uptiders about (I have a Fladden Maximus) and they are OK but it always suprises me that they are so popular because the soft tip and broomhandle midsection and butt arn't ideal in a fish playing tool - they're designed for casting power with big leads in a confined space.

If you're looking for a rod with lots of power that will still bend in a forgiving curve, have a look at some of the European catfish rods or alternativly at some of the rods built for heavy jigging up in the Norwegian Fjords. Check out Askari for the jig rods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

You could be right about the new generation of uptides Steve,(still have a bee up my bonnet here), but the older generation Twin Power 10610 are something else. They are not so tipsy, and the guides are more low profile. When put in a "bust a gut"situation, they bend all the way through, rather than just the top section. It also casts a fair distance. I had just one cast with the NEXAVE, and did not find it in any way a better caster than its father the Twin Power.

I would assume that an uptide as the name suggests can also double up for a good boat rod for medium size sea fish, but you are right, there are so many options out there. Even a good carp rod can be adapted, by guide changes etc for use with a multiplier.

If i were where you are, i would get a blank that takes my fancy and suits the water conditions i know exist, and work on building my own rod with the exact guides, handle and reel seat etc that i would want. I dare say this would give an angler infinately more pleasure to fish with, than buying one off the shelf, that is built for some other application in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:22 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for all the help so far, everyone. I'll have a look around, quite interested in the Wychwood rods.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Steve.

If you decide to look at the Grey's option, have a look on the Harris site.
It's not sold as a travel rod (so no hard case is suplied) but the Greys Grx Spin (3 piece, 9', casting 30 - 100g) is on special at the moment.
Lifetime guarantee too.

There's also a FOx rod out there with a similar specification but I can't remember what it's called.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for that, Ken.
By the way, would October be alright for a spinning trip to the Severn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:42 am 
Fishaholic

Bit late for the Severn mate. The chub are already switching off and dropping back into deeper water where they're all but impossible to catch on lures.
I had a short two hour session today and ony managed three chub and one little pike - the same session a month ago and I would have had 20 or thirty fish minimum.
If you're going to be in the area in october, there is some free water on the Stour where it runs through Kidderminster where you'd have a good chance of some lure caught chub in october. There are also some quality perch and trout but strangely, no pike.
Best of all, it's one of those rivers that can be flooded after heavy rain on thursday and be back in perfect condition by saturday morming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

I used a Debut Uptide rod for fishing Masheer using a Penn 209 Multiplier, with Braided backing and 40 LBs mono filament and caught a 29Lb Masheer (the biggest so far) the rod held very well, an uptide rod I think is the best choice for bait fishing.

I also use a 3 Piece TFO 10 - 25Lbs with a Shimano 6500 Baitrunner for Soft plastic, Spinners and Plugs, this seems to work well as well when spinning from a coracle.

I also use a Shimano Sienna with a ultra thin monofilament line which works very well

I buy all my equipment abroad and carry it down in India, I recently picked up 12` rods and a huge tackle box and got it back here without any problems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks again for everyone's help.
The Stour sounds very interesting, Ken, might have to give that a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:25 pm 
Fishaholic

So much for the Grey's option.
I broke mine on the second outing !

I might have put it down to a one off manufacturing fault but it seems that sudden breakages are anything but unknown.

Sadly, I have to withdraw the recomendation and hope that nobody on here has placed an order.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/inde ... opic=67054

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Steve,

You might want to have a look at these rods also. I just came across these this afternoon. They have a International/travel rods section. One apparently for mahseer/Nile perch.
http://www.conoflex.co.uk/

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the feedback, Ken.

If I wasn't skint, I was going to buy one of those.

Hope they do the right thing by you.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Ken L"]So much for the Grey's option.
I broke mine on the second outing !

I might have put it down to a one off manufacturing fault but it seems that sudden breakages are anything but unknown.
How did it happen Ken? Hope you are taking the boys to task ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:41 am 
Fishaholic

I had a 4" lure hit by a 2LB fish and the rod broke on the strike.
It will be going back for a refund.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Crikey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:58 am 
Fishaholic

Tried looking at the cono-flex site but the text is minute and I can't read it!

Hopefully Paul Garner is ringing me this week to talk about the Wychwood rods.
Thanks again for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Steve!
Those Wychwood rods look quite dependable and then Chris seems pretty confident they can handle a 100 pound fish.
Although i tend not to trust fishing rods with more than 1 joint, it looks like technology has changed, and such rods are more reliably built these days.
Do let us know how it goes.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Steve if youre fishing out of Goa then I suggest you call my buddy . Pls check your PM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Fred, haven't received any PM yet!

Probably won't spend too long in Goa as malvalli is where my heart is. But pass on details anyway, as plenty of mates go to Goa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:44 am 
Fishaholic

A mate has just ordered the Snowbee "Tarpon Rod" and should get it by early next week.
If anyone is interested, I can post up his impressions when it arrives and/or after his upcomming trip to South Africa where the rod should get a workout.
I also have some correspondance that I've had with Snowbee and if anyone wants to read this, get in touch and I'll PM it to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:02 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,
Would love to hear the details of the Snowbee. What kind of reel is it to be used with ? Is it cutom built, or does it come from a production line ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:43 am 
Fishaholic

Well, I have taken the plunge and bought a pair of Wychwood Catfish five-piece rods.

10' long 4.5lbs TC, let's see if I can tangle with a few biggies next year to give them a thorough test!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Steve its amazing what a little marketing and spice adds to us making these earth shattering decisions on what rod and where .. Just FYI my cobia ( 97 llbs ) was caught on a locally made Florida rod called Capt harrys 10/30 lbs 50 lb braid that i dont know the name of .. . no fighting belt and loads of luck ..... gimme luck anyday instead of all the fancy names and metrics ... ill go for luck and intuition anyday ..