->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:37 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:23 am 
Fishaholic

I was hoping some of you maybe clear a couple of queries i have ...
1. When is a leader needed? Is it need in any kind of freshwater fishing in India? What are the type of fish for which one would need leaders?More specifically is it nessecary/advisable to use them for Mahaseer? Also what are the disadvantages of using a leader?

2. On what kind of lures does one need to and not need to use swivels?

Thanks a lot guys

Vikram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:46 am 
Fishaholic

hey vikram
check out this topic and i hope you will find it helpful..
http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=2148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:02 am 
Fishaholic

thanks hozefa.. i had in fact read that earlier, but it was a good re-read in this time of doubt for me !!!

And anyone else care to help me with the question about the swivels please??? :oops:

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:54 am 

Vikram, generally swivels are used when you are spinning with spoons or spinning lures. A swivel avoids line twist. I like using a swivel clip as a quick change feature on my line to swap different lures.

Generally leaders are not needed in freshwater fishing. Just depends on the kind of fish you are after. Adding a leader adds weight to your rig which can be a problem in some areas.

Hope that helps :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:13 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Nikhil... i assumed that for would need swivels for spinners and spinning lures. But i was wondering if it makes any difference if a swivel is attached to swimming lures. But via another post i was in informed that attachment of swivels to swimming lures, effects the way lure swims and should therefore be avoided... and a Palomar knot should be used instead.

The whole point in the exercise is that, i have bought a few lures, which to me seem like they should be straight swimming lures and not spin. But i am little worried that with my limited experience i might be making a wrong judgment and learn the hard way, by losing huge lengths of line to twisting, while out on the water. Any suggestions for sure shot differentiation of the two. Also if it is a swimming lure, wouldn't the fast currents of the mountain rivers put some spin on it anyway?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:32 am 
Fishaholic

Loose the swivels, snap swivels or quick changers. Move to braid for spinning. braid has no memory and does not twist. Even if it does all you need to do is let out a few feet of line and let your lure spin around. Please don't use this time to smoke... anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:58 am 
Fishaholic

all right... all right.. i get the point !! hehe... i quit tobacco.. clean for 9 month now.. but don't about not smoking anything at all :wink: a 15 minute break, with the line reeled in, is allowed right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:51 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vikram you can also try a loop knot on your swimming lures ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:15 pm 
Fishaholic

That is called a Rapala knot. It is the best for plugs as it does not interfere with the action. Make sure you tie it only with mono as it slips with braid.