->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:37 pm 

Thanks everyone for their questions. I will try to answer as best as I can and what I write is what I do, believe and most important works for me.

There are some fundamental rules I follow for fishing. I am not a fishing champion, neither will I ever be one, but I sure catch a lot more than my buddies and beat the shit out of them. Plus in my group, the guy with the biggest fish or most catch (depending on what we agree to) gets his trip paid for by the other losers.. I have also lost a few to these mean guys I have to endure on my fishing trips.

My Rules:

1.Keep the bait, lure, hook, worm, and any other contraption you may chose to use, in the water. That’s where the fish are, in the water, and not in your boat, bag, or shore. Bird’s nest do not help either!!!

2.A good knot. I have lost a few big ones to knots which were used by me when I was flying kites. Those knots did not work. A big no no. Use a proven fishing knot. Period. You can find some good pages for knots on the net. ALWAYS wet your line before tying the knot, spit, water, beer will work just fine. :D

3.Adequately strong line. Now I don’t profess using a 130Lb line for a 8Lb fishing spot, but a good enough line which will be invisible and will let me make the longest cast and keep the lure deep.

4.Be organized.

5.My Ten Minute Rule: If in ten minutes I do not catch anything I change something. Even if it is the way I retrieve.

6.Take the lure to the fish, the fish will rarely come to the lure. It happens but rarely. Fish also get tired of swimming and they stay static under decks, shade, rock, underwater caves etc. The most common imagination of fish is .. they are swimming in the water like mini missiles out of control. That is not so. No matter where in the world. They too rest and enjoy the shade…maybe a cold beer also!!

7.Most important: release what you catch!! Believe me wild fish tastes same as the one at your local fish market and a picture will last much more longer than the fish curry you just had. Plus you can share the picture with a buddy.. now try that with the curry after a couple of days.. ugh. Fish also suffer from disease and cancer and it is diffucult for an untrained eye to see this. Polluted waters mean you are eating what the fish ate.

8.My golden rule. If you are using a spinner or crank bait and you see the fish following it but not biting.. go immediately to a worm.. this really works. I sometime use a spinner or crank to see what follows it.. if anything.

9. Keep your hands and tackle free of odors like shampoo, strong soaps and most important petrol and diesel. This is very important.

10. Keep your hooks sharp. We owe it to the fish we catch. Be humane.

11. Know your lures. Tie them to a line and drag them in a little bit of clear water. Be it a bathtub, bucket, small water hole. Learn how it moves, what it does.

12. Remember, the fish in the water does not know about, or see your 3,000 dollar rod and reel. It only sees the lure you have in the water. What you do to the lure matters most!

Myths which I do know are a lot of bull!:

1.It is a good day to go fishing. Hell no!! I have see those beautiful days where I would rather be sucking down a pina colada (lots of rum) and catch rat’s ass. Fish are stranger than your last girlfriend. They have no hard and fast rules except, they feed at dusk and dawn, just like she eats. There are simply no guarantees on fishing. No books, magazines, or scientists can read out a perfect technique to catch fish on any particular day. It happens when it happens with a lot of persistence and patience, adequate equipment and just that wee bit of luck.

2.It is a bad day to go fishing. Hell no!! read the last sentence of above.

3.You need expensive equipment. Nope. Not at all. You need adequate equipment for your needs and what you will fish. Eg. For carp, I use a old rod, a hook, one sinker, 8lbs line, and wet corn. Plus, chair, umbrella and lots and lots of beer. That usually does it. Remember, all lures will eventually catch something used in a particular way, at a particular spot, at a particular time. Just don’t ask how to come up with a recipe. It just happens. You decide what works for you.

4.Tv ads.... Holy Mother of God.. my favourite..… Introducing the newest Rapala Crank made out of Titanium and designed by Nasa. This is the hottest lure money can buy! 7 times champion Jimmy Jones has endorsed it! You simply cannot afford not to have it in your tackle box. Yeah?? All right, lets starve a few huge bad assed fish for a couple of days in a tank, then lets throw something at them. I think starved, they will even eat ball bearings. Oh I almost forgot.. that new boat for Jimmy Jones and a check for NASA.

5.You have to use lures as they were designed to be used. Yes and No. Again no one in the world can scientifically say that. I have used floating rigs with a heavy sinker. Let the sinker sit on the lake bed. The lure stays suspended above ground and bingo… caught some nice ones like that. If you are on the other hand using a top water bait to top water fish..then you need to use it like it is designed to be used. Small jerks, side to side movement, flips etc. You decide how you want to slaughter for the day.Happy butchering.

6. That local fisherman (machuara) who comes on a bicycle smoking beedis, a 20 lb old line spooled on a talcum powder can, will catch more fish than you.. Believe me.. that is true even in Mexico... I hate them too!! heheh

This is as I said before what I follow. Remember, fishing is the oldest sport known to man (maybe sex won by a couple of days but, I am not sure) and there are no hard and fast rules. Sometimes everything you do wrong works, other times, everything you do right does not work. Don’t waste money on expensive videos if they do not show you how to use your equipment. It is more fun fishing yourself, than watching some old fat dude on tv who made you pay to watch him have all the fun! Google stuff you want to know more about. The price is right..free!

Until next time: Lines and Hooks to follow. I need a better option to load pictures and drawings I make myself.. can anyone help me with that?

Pavan

Last edited by pavanmex on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:21 pm 

Hello PAVAN
You did a greater job in angling like a R&D. Its very usefull hints to beginers like me. :D :D :D

Thanks & Regards
SR.S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:27 am 
Fishaholic

Nice points, I really liked the first 3 points....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:43 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

Well put mate. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

very nice write up mate waiting for the detail one on worms :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:11 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:

You pick them out of the Tequila Mate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:

Bobby...... :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:

[smilie=laff.gif] [smilie=laff.gif] [smilie=lol2.gif] [smilie=lol2.gif] :badgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:22 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
rajatmukherje wrote:

oh oh oh and what is Tequila? you know i am so novice would really appreciate a pointer :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:29 am 
Fishaholic

Since Pavan comes from Tequila country, I will leave it to him to explain. :lol: :lol: :lol: I just know it makes me feel real good :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:32 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Since Pavan comes from Tequila country, I will leave it to him to explain. :lol: :lol: :lol: I just know it makes me feel real good :oops:

is it a drink? your you put it some where else :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:06 am 
Fishaholic

Rajat I know you are a Rum man but I think you are putting me on. Next time I come to Bombay we need to go out.

Pavan, please educate this dude :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:10 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Rajat I know you are a Rum man but I think you are putting me on. Next time I come to Bombay we need to go out.

Pavan, please educate this dude :lol:

just having some fun man :D you are on for some T shots when you come to Mumbai next but getting one worm per bottle would be little to expensive don't you think :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:17 am 
Fishaholic

I will bring some of the good stuff, last time I ended up paying Rs. 1000 a shot in Bombay and the shot glass was just half full.

I have a mate of mine who goes to Mexico and Peru a lot. The place is stocked with Tequila and Pisco.

But lets not mess up Pavan's thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

[smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:15 am 
Fishaholic

Damn I regret my dissision of quiting alcohol.. still dont forget me , will drop you tipsy guys till your houses. [smilie=sillyjester.gif]

rajatmukherje wrote:
but getting one worm per bottle would be little to expensive don't you think :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rajat partner, a good dose of Albendazole will save lot of money. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Santosh :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:58 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Damn I regret my dissision of quiting alcohol.. still dont forget me , will drop you tipsy guys till your houses. [smilie=sillyjester.gif]

rajatmukherje wrote:
but getting one worm per bottle would be little to expensive don't you think :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rajat partner, a good dose of Albendazole will save lot of money. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Santosh :twisted:

Partner for the first part hahahahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: for the second part: i understand ENGLISH so please try and repeat in lay man's language :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:08 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:

Santosh :twisted:[/quote]

All about worms end if the day!!