->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:59 pm 

Hi!.

I looking to buy a fish finder, and like most of us I will be fishing by the river side.
Most portable FishFinders have a beam width of 45-60 degree. so my question is can I get reliable results if I tilt the sensor in such a way that I can scan in front of me. Will the Fish finder still work?

Thanks

Imran

Post subject: fishfinder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:11 pm 

i bought a china fish finder,

it does not work it keeps beeping with even fry,

if you buy an expensive one even then for shore fishing it does not really help out,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:34 am 
Fishaholic

I have heard about boat based anglers using a side scanning sonar to identify fish lying up in bankside weeds but never bank based angers scanning outwards.
The only viable option might be something like the "Hummingbird Smartcast" (there are others) that has a castable transducer linked wirelessly to a rod or wrist mounted display. This would give you an idea of the underwater topography but ultimatly, it's a lot of expence and messing to do something that can be managed with a plumet, a float and a little time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:30 am 
Fishaholic

I have seen some fishfinders here in Hong Kong for bank based anglers and they were not really expensive. I just could not buy the concept so I have not picked one yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:20 am 

I have the Humminbird smart cast in mind, also from Ken’s answer I imagine we should be able tilt the sonar transponder to be able to get a scan of what’s in front of us. After your advice I looked at the ‘plummet and float’ method, Looks difficult, My target is River Cauvery between Mysore and malvalli. (Hoping to catch Murrel, Karnatic Carp and Mahseer.)
I have a relative coming from Singapore is there any chance of getting the ‘Humminbird Smartcast’ in Singapore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:04 am 
Fishaholic

imrankhan wrote:
I have a relative coming from Singapore is there any chance of getting the ‘Humminbird Smartcast’ in Singapore?

I am sure you will get it in Singapore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Do not waste your money. Any fish finder is useless if it is stationary position.

You will be amazed to find thousand of fishes moving in a water body, where there are non. :roll: :lol:

The neked eye is best fish finder with a bit of experiance in a river or lake.

Regards,

Ali.