->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:07 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: so near yet so far!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:53 pm 
Fishaholic

After missing high tide times completely for two times in a row in one day we finally made it properly on to reaching beach third time in a day at high tide.... dammn its frustrating when you forget to see tide table :oops: :oops:
A fellow angler told us to come to another fishing spot as according to him this spot have better fishes and thus we moved on to another spot.....
Reaching there on time we started casting baits and waited for the bites…. Cast after cast we tried for two hours but there was not even a single bite on anyone line!!!
We were using 2 different rod setups
1. A 12” beach casting rod with 20lb mono and okuma 4000 series reel
2. A 7” rod with 5lb mono on rapala 2500 series reel (I guess im right on reel specifications)
We waited for more than two hours to get a bite but no luck and finally it happened with my brother on 12” feet rod he was using….
Fish took the bait and rod tip bend down and he struck at the right moment…he hooked the fish……. The fish took off like a torpedo and there was no way to control the fish so my brother called for help and I took rod from his hand…. Never before I felt such great pressure on the rod and there was no way reel is going to stop…. I put drag on maximum ( but I guess it is not working) and took handle in my hand and tried to put some more resistant with my hand but it was of no use… fish kept on moving on and on and on in single run and now my worst fear was in front of me…… I saw I was short of line and spool was almost empty…… tried putting some more pressure through my hand and prayed for some miracle to happened and fish to hold on for a breath but I guess god was with the fish…. In no time I got spooled out and I waited, a few seconds seemed like ages and I knew something will fail today either the fish or my tackle and finally 20lb mono bowed down in front of the great fish……. We lost the fish but our hopes are high as it was never before……
From last 2 sleeplesss nights im thinking about this fish, its single determined run of more than 200mts, and great power and now im wondering how to get hold of such a great fish next time I come across without fail……
Actually we never expected to get hold of something this big from beach in our wildest of dreams
I want to know how I can get my reel repaired or I can repair it my self for its drag to work properly…..
Im putting topic in this particular section as I feel it was failure of my tackle and how I can be better prepared next time???
Please let me know how to get my drag fixed so that Im all prepared next time….
also i tried to look for topic where in nice advice was given related to cleaning of reels but now im not able to find it..... can someone tell me how to clean my tackle after every session and how to oil the parts....
Your advice will be highly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Where did this happen?

Just need to wash your tackle with fresh water, rods; pay special attention to the guides. Some people light grease their guides with cotton wool or cloth, I do not do it as I do as I think this may trap any salt residue under the grease.

When washing the reel, do not immerse you reel into a water bath, just let the water flow over your reel under low to moderate pressure. Pay special attention to all external areas that move like the handle, bailarm and roller. You could use a drop of oil on the roller, handle bail shoulder. Do not forget to loosen the drag before you stow it.

This is just basic ,after you have used your equipment.

There are loads good articles on reel care on the net, that give you tips and info on reel mantainence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Hozefa
I would ditto of what bobby says about taking care of your tackle believe me I am now a different person after my two initial reels were destroyed because my carelessness a Diawa and a Mitchell from sea water. Please don't wait do it immediately once you return home from fishing the saltwater is really a dangerous thing for your tackle. It takes only ten min but it will save your precious tackle for a life time I even wash my lures thoroughly once i come back from a trip.

I think you can write to a Okuma dealer near you or see on e bay and replace the drag system of your reel.

I have yet not caught a very big fish from the beach but I think the okuma 4000 series sound a small reel for the beach casting you should have at least a reel which will hold 250 Yrds or so of 30 Lb line even if it means using a heavy reel for minimum . I use a Okuma avenger 80A reel with 30 LB line and a mono leader of 50 Lb double strained for targeting the Shark and all . I although have not yet got big one as yet as I hardly have tried it outside Mumbai where you don't get any fish in beaches.
Although last time we landed a big stingray and believe me it took almost all the strength of Ali's rod and reel which is almost a similar set up like mine to land that one .
I was glad to see that because it really strengthen my believe on the minimum tackle you should have while beach fishing

I wish you all the best for the next big one
cheers
Rajat [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Yes yes that is all very nice and informative on reel care and you should listen to them Hozefaishaqali. But you guys are missing the action. What a fish that must have been. Taking 200mts of line in one go, now that is stamina. Any ideas on what it could have been? Definitely not a ray or shark from what little I have read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:58 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
What a fish that must have been. Taking 200mts of line in one go, now that is stamina. Any ideas on what it could have been? Definitely not a ray or shark from what little I have read.

last time i caught a barracuda of close to 3lb and the way it gave first run and the fight.... i felt the same fighting this fish its just that this time fight of fish can be multiplied 4-5 times in the first run.....
i believe it was a barracuda.

thanks guys for telling me how to take care of the tackle as i never washed my reels and rods after fishing session..... last time it fell in sand and thats why i was wondering how to clean it.....
i doubt we have okuma or any other dealers in kuwait... was wondering if any desi style can be used to open up the reel and fix its drag.... as for the first time when i used the reel it worked fine and next moment it stopped working.......

Rajat daa
YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU GOING TO HOOK IN SEA
you are absolutly right about the tackle but i have never seen anyone catching anything bigger than 3-4 lb fish and thats why im using this setup... and my primary target is breams, queenfish(max 4-5lb), longtoms, flaunders and such type of not so big fish....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

Doubt very much if it was a cuda .. if you were bottom fishing with bait

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Doubt very much if it was a cuda .. if you were bottom fishing with bait

yeh i was doing bottom fishing with squid/cuttlefish as bait with running sinker....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Could be a shark, ray or guitar fish. Sorry tahat you lost the fish... This will be the motivation to try another time and buy some costly tackles for future. :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:26 pm 
Fishaholic

What leader were you using? Doubt it was a cuda (as Fred said), the fact that you said Barracuda points to a metal leader, my guess a Shark or large GT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
What leader were you using? Doubt it was a cuda (as Fred said), the fact that you said Barracuda points to a metal leader, my guess a Shark or large GT.

there was no leader...
last time also i was lucky to catch a cuda without a leader on the same reel and line setup :shock: :shock: :wink: .....
im not sure of GTs as i have not seen any GTs in fish market and i dont think there are any GTs in this part of persian gulf....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:38 pm 
Fishaholic

No Leader, then Shark is off the list too...what about Cobia, do you get them there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
No Leader, then Shark is off the list too...what about Cobia, do you get them there?

i was thinking about other fish but to tell you i dont have much experience in catching different types of fishs thats why i have no clue!!!!! :oops: :oops:
it could be cobia as i have seen pictures of people taking out cobia a few km down the beaches where i fish so its quite possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:50 pm 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:
thats why i have no clue!!!!! :oops: :oops:

Dont' worry mate...none of us here really do :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:36 pm 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:
Mahaseerken wrote:
What a fish that must have been. Taking 200mts of line in one go, now that is stamina. Any ideas on what it could have been? Definitely not a ray or shark from what little I have read.

Rajat daa
YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU GOING TO HOOK IN SEA
you are absolutly right about the tackle but i have never seen anyone catching anything bigger than 3-4 lb fish and thats why im using this setup... and my primary target is breams, queenfish(max 4-5lb), longtoms, flaunders and such type of not so big fish....

partner I had almost the same experience in my early days while bait fishing from the rocks I thought i am aiming for small snappers but then the bugger almost broke my rod as i had my reel (like a fool) with some drag on it the fish just emptied the entire small Shakespeare reel before i could even get to my rod and start to do any thing I was using a 15 pound line that time it never even stopped while breaking .:x

While fishing in sea and for that matter in fresh water too you never know what you would hook specially if you not using a very very particular rig for targeting a specific specimen so you better be prepared .

I think you might have hooked a big ray or a even a cuda i think before it can break your line in absence of a leader because of the small drag it emptied your reel. Do you have any rocks under near by it could be a big snapper too any comment bobby Ali :?: :?:

Post subject: Unfortunate
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 am 
Enlightened

Hey Hosefa,
That must have been quite exciting.Unfortunate that you did not even get a glimpse of the fish.Guess the tackle shops inside the fish market will be seeing some business from you soon .Hopefully next time you will have better luck! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 am 
Fishaholic

hey rajat da
we dont have rocks here..... its all flat sandy beaches out here....
and i checked my okuma reel and realised that it is not 4000 series but its okuma avenger 50SV and it can store some good size line with good drag....
i hope that reel is not so small....
yesterday i opened up my reel and fixed the drag problem in the reel..........
thanks to this fish else i would have never taken the trouble to fix this reel....

Post subject: Re: Unfortunate
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:56 am 
Fishaholic

godfreydesylva wrote:
Guess the tackle shops inside the fish market will be seeing some business from you soon .Hopefully next time you will have better luck! :D

believe me i did some shopping before that trip but just my badluck that i didnt fix the drag problem (which is now sorted out).... lets see we have long weekend of 3 days and i will update you...