->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:08 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Big GT’s
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

A bit confused with required tackle for targeting Big GT’s.

Had a chance to see the Stella paired with Shimano Caranax 8 Ft PE 10-12 popping rod. Looks like ideal setup to target those big GT’s. (but will make a big hole in the pocket). Any thoughts on the new Saragosa @ USD 300 ?? (poor mans Stella rated at 44 LB drag).

Any good popping 8 ft rod that can put 15 – 20 Kg drag, 150 – 250 gms lure wt. and not costing as much as the Caranax..???

I know no matter how good the tackle is, this buggers will cut you most often considering that we do not have very deep reefs close on the west coast (the deepest I have seen was 70 FT and usually its not even half of it)). But still, would want to target them.
Jeen, Fred, Bobby and the rest of the gang, please help with your thoughts / suggestions with the ideal tackle.

Thanks,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Santo,

In my opinion you need those heavy drags because most of the time you hook big GT's near reefs or around some underwater structure (huge rocks). What these guys do is run real hard straight to these structures in an attempt to rub the lure off on the lure and in the process cut off your line around some boulder.

I have not taken a GT over 20lbs with a fixed spool reel so Jeen will be able to give you better advice. I have purchased a Saltiga reel and will get another one shortly for this purpose.

I have taken all my large GT's trolling in blue water with large OH reels 20miles offshore, so they did not have a chance, but believe me I can only imagine what one of those could have done to any fixed spool reel.

I know where you intend to target those Large GT's and I would recommend you go in with a Stella, Saltiga or maybe an Accurate don't compromise. I even believe that the 30kg drag that they claim on these 3 reels is not really correct, may be less.

The Saragosa's Drag SRG18000F is rated at 30lbs I think, please double check, don't sell it to yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: (if the target with this reel is large GT).

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh,

I'm assuming you'll be popper fishing for GT so, please don't compromise on the reel you buy even if it burns a hole in your pocket. Remember these reels are built to fish high drag and are cut out for the job. I catch GT in 3 to 30 meter deep reefs..... I'd suggest a Stella (Shimano) or the Dogfight (Daiwa).

As for a rod I'd suggest the Daiwa Saltiga SG GT86. It's a good entry level rod and I've seen it take some big fish (30Kg+).

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:08 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh,

|I agree compleatly with MM. Actually as a matter of fact me and my boys had scouted the west coast and are 100 % shure of catching big GTs there if we land up with our gear which we plan to do this year end. Now when you posted your questions I refrained from answering cause I wanted to catch that serious GT from your back yard. But then that small iota of decency left in me took over and here goes...
Gt fishing ( popping ) is all about conviction and persistance . You have to use good gear as suggested by MM and persist with your popping. This is hard work . Casting heavy lure and popping effectievly is not like trolling where the boat cathes your fish. This is tough work . The fist pop may drive a GT to hit you or your 50th pop. Its all about that first fish after that youll gladly pop all day. Practice on a beach or even any open water body and work out a good popping rythm.
I started popping with a Saltiga Z4500 and a shimano teralejo ( a surf casting rod) combined cost of 750 $ and realised that I was under gunned . When you hook your GT after all that hard work you want to stay hooked to that fish and able to land it.
Go to any of the popping and jigging forums and spend some time on the tackle , knots, techiniques, popper pattern and youll catch that GT before we show up.

cheers ,

jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Guys...

Jeen, I saw you online a couple of times & was waiting for you to comment ... glad you did. If someone knows a thing or two on this forum about big Gt's its you.

I have been busted many times & have felt helpless in such situation.

Would be more than happy to join you guys on your trip to west coast to target the Gt's as no mater how much you read these forums & tacticks, nothing compares to going fishing with an accomplished angler.... that is even if I manage to land one before your trip.

jeen wrote:
Casting heavy lure and popping effectievly is not like trolling where the boat cathes your fish. This is tough work
jeen

From locations to landing fish, most of my sea fishing has been self learned & hard work (with some great help from Fred) ... I understand the meaning of "its all about conviction and persistance"

Stella & Caranax it is.

Thanks again..... Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:26 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Thanks Guys...

Stella & Caranax it is.

Thanks again..... Santosh

Ok you _rick ... send me the details ... lets get 2 of them .. someone is in Singapore right now .....and lets get after that fluffing GT before Jeen and his merry men beat us to it ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:28 am 
Fishaholic

If someone else is going to pick up the tackle make sure you give them the exact details of the Stella you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:06 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Ok you _rick ... send me the details ... lets get 2 of them .. someone is in Singapore right now .....and lets get after that fluffing GT before Jeen and his merry men beat us to it ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HaaHaaahaahahaa... I knew it.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guys, please help;

Reel:
Daiwa Saltiga Z 6500 EXP
OR
Shimano Stella SW 2000PG

Rod:
Shimano caranx Kaibutsu Deep Monster (up to 300 gms)
OR
Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu Long Cast (up to 200 gms)

Thanks,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:11 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Fredfish wrote:

HaaHaaahaahahaa... I knew it.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guys, please help;

Reel:
Daiwa Saltiga Z 6500 EXP
OR
Shimano Stella SW 2000PG

Rod:
Shimano caranx Kaibutsu Deep Monster (up to 300 gms)
OR
Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu Long Cast (up to 200 gms)

Thanks,

Santosh

May god bless you both..... :cry:

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali, I dont have to ask you this OR prove it... you are third in line after me. & Fred... and, how can we forget Mr. Bong THE PARTNER.... lol lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Can see you struggling with the decision between those 2 rods mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , a longer case v/s a heavier lure, given you will be casting from a boat perhaps the heavier rod will be a better choice and you can cover distance in the boat :idea: but don’t take my word for it mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Not just the distance Bobby, have to give a thought to the lure weight. Will i be casting poppers that heavy ? I guess not.. 100 to 150 Gms poppers are BIG enough. And the likes of Bull GT fall well within that range if I am correct.

What about the rod drag?
Deep Monster OR Long Cast..??
Plan to order the stuff ASAP.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santo,

I was talking about casting wt. opposed to distance and am personally in favour of casting wt in this particular case as I would be casting off a boat. A heavier rod will also have more backbone, which you will need with locked drags. You have GT poppers going upto 200gms so it depends on how you feel about it. Sure I think that lures upto 150gms are OK and should suffice but when I am making a big investment then I would take the "What if's" into account as well. But that's me, PM Jeen, he is the GT popping guru and ask him what rod he would recommend. He has been doing that kind of fishing a lot more than I have.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Santosh,
The rods built for 300 gms lure weighs close to 500 gms and above and casting with that rod all day is fantasy. Look for some thing close to 400 gms and the lure you can use ( the popper weight ) should be between 100 to a max of 150 gms. All the other mega stuff are made for 6 foot 200lb hulks who make a 40 kg Gt look like a puppy. So go light on the rod and lures. Whats the cost of a shimano long cast which is the lighter and more suitable rod for us . Also look at the xoga( malaysian) range of rods. I remember seeing a popping rod made by them in the range of 250 to 300 $ and these are as good as any high end japanese rods.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Santo,

These Xoga rods will be available in Singapore...

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby & Jeen,

Bobby can you PM me the store details (if you know) where i can find them?.. I look around but nothing showed on google search.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:51 am 
Fishaholic

Even I had a problem withthe name .Finally got site at 1 am ....The site is www.xzoga.com . I checked out the rods on the site ... look real good ... Guy in Singapore will be going to the shops to check them out for availability ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Even I had a problem withthe name .Finally got site at 1 am ....The site is www.xzoga.com . I checked out the rods on the site ... look real good ... Guy in Singapore will be going to the shops to check them out for availability ..

Here is a great demo video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U9GxmCCsGM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Fred, is this you looking at:

Taka-Pi 7525 7' 5" S 2 FAST+ PE 5 max drag 10 KG 3-5 KG Max 250g 2.60mm 12.28mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:39 pm 
Fishaholic

I heard that big GTs are migrating in a hurry from konkan range. :twisted:

Regards,

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:

Regards,

Ali.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:27 pm 

can hear them splashing all the way here... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:15 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote=]"santosh"
Deep Monster OR Long Cast..??
Santosh[/quote]

Hi Santosh,

Found some info here.....

http://fishing.shimano.com.sg/publish/content/global_fish/en/sg/index/products/rods/saltwater/caranx_kaibutsu.html

You're looking at the LC S8208 I assume. I'd go with distance, rather than a heavier lure weight esp if you're exploring.

Have a look at this one as well.....

http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/daiwa.cfm?page=rods&rods=heavytackle&product=Saltiga

If you're planning on picking up the Shimano from Singapore let me know and I might know where you can find it.

Hope this has been of some help.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:28 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
santosh,

|I agree compleatly with MM. Actually as a matter of fact me and my boys had scouted the west coast and are 100 % shure of catching big GTs there if we land up with our gear which we plan to do this year end. Now when you posted your questions I refrained from answering cause I wanted to catch that serious GT from your back yard. But then that small iota of decency left in me took over and here goes...

jeen

Hi Jeen,

If ever you're looking at a spare rod to join you on a trip like this let me know. I've been reading up and I know the GT are there, it's just that no one's catching them OR has the tackle to!!

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks MM,

Please PM me the details.

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh,

There is a "Customs" shop here in Delhi selling chinese made roller guide jigging rods, gathering dust @ Rs 1000 a pop!!

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

samsondhi wrote:
Hi Santosh,

There is a "Customs" shop here in Delhi selling chinese made roller guide jigging rods, gathering dust @ Rs 1000 a pop!!

Sam

Can you find out the specifications. :?:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

samsondhi wrote:
Hi Santosh,

Sam

Sam .. can u pm the address .. I will get my office guys to go there with a digicam and get some pics :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:13 am 
Fishaholic

Don't waste your money boys... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Don't waste your money boys... :lol:

Nothing to loose Bob ... If not good wifey will have a new lamba jadoo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

No comments :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Nothing to loose Bob ... If not good wifey will have a new lamba jadoo :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am not buying that... if in wifey hands ...that can be injurious to good health. :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

Thanks for the PM.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:07 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Fredfish wrote:

I am not buying that... if in wifey hands ...that can be injurious to good health. :cry: :cry:

At present some rods are lying in my house so do not put ideas in wifies mind. :twisted:

Regards,

Ali. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

Good, will let you know when I firm up our dates. Me and Rahul are off to New Caledonia to fish with PB in May. We hope to get some good fish there.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:42 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
Hi MM,
Good, will let you know when I firm up our dates.
Jeen

Not a good spare rod to join you on guys :oops: .. but would love to watch you guys doing what you do best.... need a guide..??? :lol: :lol:

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Santo,

Dont worry youll be the one arranging the boats and showing us the Gt holes.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 am 
Fishaholic

[smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Fluff after Balamama we have Santosh mama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Point noted Mr. Fraud.. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Santo .. Fi9nalise which rod . Someone going on 10th March back on 11th march

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Pro-tech / Long Cast / Taka-Pi ..???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:43 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:

Fred, I think he needs to meet Mr. Freud, the mans confused

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:19 am 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:

Regards,

Ali.

now they are in gulf i believe :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:45 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
santosh wrote:

Fred, I think he needs to meet Mr. Freud, the mans confused

I would not like to comment .... Santo is a good friend .... whatever he may think of me dosent matter .. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:57 pm 
Fishaholic

[smilie=huggles.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

This is such a sweet moment!

Thank God I have a sugar problem. hahahahahahahaah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
This is such a sweet moment!

Thank God I have a sugar problem. hahahahahahahaah

Me too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

What can I say about Bombay Masala anglers :lol: :lol: ?