->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: MAGGOTS
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:28 am 

Maggots are a bait most widely being used by locals. i have seen them in action, surprisingly very little is being discussed about this bait in this fourm.
Hence i am starting this new thread. Like me many new anglers look towards this forum, what actually baits fish is live bait , i feel there is still no substitute to live bait.

And in this category i have observed maggots pick fish like no other. Perhaps my friends will tell me how to get maggots other than dangling crisp notes.

and their experience,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

IS this what you're Talking About. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Keep some cake crumbs in a box and sprinkle some water over it. keep the box in a cool dark place and wait for six to ten days. Hopefully you will find many mggots crawlling in it. You can use them live or store them in fridge.

It is another matter that your wife is going to kill you if she finds out what you are doing. :twisted:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:12 pm 

Yes , that is one way of doing it, but i suspect you also know the best way of doing it , but are refraining from posting, hint: it has something to do with sheep or goat cud.
it is preferable to use them live , and hook them one by one on to a ultra thin hook keeping them alive, with them wriggling under water will be a sure fire bite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:42 pm 

fly larvae!!some offal meat, mix w/ ordinary cow dung, keep the uncovered box in the garden for a few days.flies will be drawn to it like, well, flies to shit!
check after a few days.the wriggly things are what you want.once the flies lay their eggs, which soon hatch and become wriggly thingies, shut the box with a perforated cover, check in a couple of days.pick out the maggots with tweezers, bag and use 'em or freeze for future use. if you decide to store em in the fridge, dont tell your wife/gf/partner you got the idea from IA :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:39 am 

I Use them for carp & trout, but only live ones, dead just aint that effective. best way too make is too but an piece off fish out side all night, check iff there any eggs on( very small ) then put in a bucket with holes and then wait two or ther days and the miracel has happend you probaly got one off the best bait att all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:44 pm 
Fishaholic

To breed maggots.

Get some meat or a bird carcass and put it into a tin with the lid slightly open. Check the meat every day until you see the eggs (called blows) on the meat. They are white and about the size of grains of rice.
Now close the tin lid and punch holes in it. You will have to leave it outside somewhere, but also where cats, dogs etc cannot get to it.
After two or three days, the maggots will start to grow. They will stop eating the meat after two or three days as well, so now turn the tin upside down and let the maggots crawl through the holes into a second box with a layer of sawdust in.
The maggots will keep in the sawdust for three or four days, but will be better if you can change the sawdust every day. They will not smell so bad then!

You can use dead maggots as bait and they are very good, as long as you kill them quickly and keep them cool.
The best way to kill them is to put a little water in a plastic bag and freeze them for two days. You can also pour hot coffee or water on to them, but if it is too hot, they will stretch and go blanched. Pur a little cold on if they are going very pale.

Maggots are best kept cool to stop the smells You can also keep them while they turn to a chrysalis (called casters), but they will float if allowed to go too brown. Try to use them while still a pale golden colour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:45 am 
Fishaholic

thats very good information....
and its going to help many.....
only thing is!!!!! i will be thrown out of house if i will do anything like that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Ditto Hozefaishaqali! Wife would kill me first and then use me to gather maggots.

Can the same be done with a piece of cottage cheese? It will not smell as bad but should get the flies to lay eggs for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:

Can the same be done with a piece of cottage cheese?

It depends on the type of fly. There are certainly some in England that will lay on vegetable matter.
They produce very soft maggots, however, and may not be suitable for fishing unless you use very fine tackle and small hooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Steve. I'll give it a try. And also start looking for a nice PG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Steve Lockett wrote:
Mahaseerken wrote:

Can the same be done with a piece of cottage cheese?

It depends on the type of fly. There are certainly some in England that will lay on vegetable matter.
They produce very soft maggots, however, and may not be suitable for fishing unless you use very fine tackle and small hooks.

can you use yellow WASP maggots?
they are big and juicy and im sure they are not so soft....
can be put on a #2 or #1 hook easily....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:

You wont need a PG mate ... what you would need is hope ..... or better still a nice long ornate wooden box with your obituary carved on it " Here lies MADGOT KEN " who misunderstood that the words uttered in bliss at the altar " I DO" were not to be taken seriously :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

I have used yellow wasp larvae as a kid. From what I remember they worked very well. But then there were a lot of fish in the pond in front of the old fort in Delhi.

Just be very careful when getting those larvae. Mama does not like her kids going fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
IJust be very careful when getting those larvae. Mama does not like her kids going fishing.

:lol: :lol: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :D
As a kid i used to be wasp killer... :wink:
but right now i dont think i can get glimps of it even if i want to....
for that i need to be in india ... :? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:09 am 
Fishaholic

Fish will eat most things that wriggle. In fact, fish will eat most things that fall in the water!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:37 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Mahaseerken wrote:

You wont need a PG mate ... what you would need is hope ..... or better still a nice long ornate wooden box with your obituary carved on it " Here lies MADGOT KEN " who misunderstood that the words uttered in bliss at the altar " I DO" were not to be taken seriously :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hahahahahahahahah True mate, Very true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Maggott breeding without the meat or the stink can be done at home - at least it can with European fly species.
Do yourself a google search for maggott+breeding+sour+bran and you'll get loads of hits. The food material for the larvae is simply bran and milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:10 pm 
Fishaholic

When I say, use cake, the whole purpose was to avoide the smell and a shove from the wife out of the house. :lol:

And the maggots grow big here in powai if you leave your cake crumbs for some time. :roll:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Personally I believe there are more worms than maggots per sq foot of urban land. I have had the fortune of getting worms throughout the year. Just water my garden at sunset, make sure there are no lights on and voila, tons of them are found right under the surface of mosit and soft mud in the morning (even in winters - i.e. Delhi's).
Also, there are a lot of local plant nurseries that are selling earthworm generated fertilizers. Ask them to get you the worms. Italian import of red worms - eat leaves like mad. Rs. 500/kg. Preserve them in any flower pot - live and kicking.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:19 pm 
Fishaholic

the wasp maggot in europe is called wasp grub and is much saught after... grown men crawling thru bramble bushes getting stung by the adult wasp... but the end product is one of the finest fish baits... not only the grubs but also the cake they live in....
and red worm can be got from manure heaps so if you know any gardeners just ask if you can turn over his munure heap...lol... there will be loads of worms... or take a stroll over the cricket field after its been watered there are sure to be many worms wriggling on the surface...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

So, i have just come in from feeding my fish in the pond, some bluebottle fly maggots, which took me only 5 days to cultivate on a piece of mutton in this delhi heat. My fish went berserk competing for them.. but i have to warn you, that stuff stinks !!!

I am also rearing earthworms now, so i have a regular supply of live food for my fish and also for an unanticipated fishing trip... they are coming along well and hopefully i will have lots of fat juicy ones, who are being fed chicken paste, so they should be quite full of protein. So anyone in Delhi wish to go fishing after a couple of weeks (apparently thats how long they take to start reproducing), let me know....

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:51 pm 
Fishaholic

when an english angler talks of maggots he means bluebottle maggots... clean them in sawdust and then keep them in fine maize-meal and they can last a week in the fridge...lol... but most match anglers in england have their own fridge in the garage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:17 pm 

a local tells me that an easier way is to keep pieces of offal or any ol meat on a stick about a foot above the ground, with a box of saw dust below.The flies lay eggs on the meat, which become maggots, drop down into the bran/sawdust and come out all clesn, no stink.Any inputs on this technique?
i will not rear maggots at home period.PG digs are easier, but wife's handy with guns too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

sounds ok to me eljefe but you need to know that whatever fish like.... birds do to....lol... so perhaps after the flies have done their bit you could place a cardboard box over it...then perhaps your maggots will get to see some water... if you clean them off in a fine sawdust then put them in another container and dust them off with maizemeal they dont smell.......much... cant you perhaps get your wife interested in the scientific process of meat to bluebottle...mmm.... perhaps not, after i showed it to my wife every bluebottle in england was my fault... [smilie=blush.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:48 pm 
Fishaholic

thats the size of magots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 am 
Fishaholic

Divorce talk, this is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:54 am 
Fishaholic

Wife will say I have gone insane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:08 pm 
Fishaholic

hahaha.. this is funny :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

another strange thing about maggots is that you can colour them....
you have to stain the meat that the eggs then the maggots are feeding on then the maggots take on that hue... so you can have white [uncoloured] red yellow bronze... the thing about the bronze is that a great english angler clive smith i think was his name... won lots and lots of matches he was trully a great angler... he only used bronze maggots so soon we were all using them... our hands used to be yellowish brown the next day... then came the news that clive was dying of cancer... and scientists declared that the chemical used to dye the maggots bronze [chrisodene i think] was cancerous... so the dye got rightly banned...and clive did die... so be careful what you use to dye them with or better still leave it to the experts and use just natural maggots...
or you could use a marker pen on the nights soaps were on t.v. ....lol
how many colours of marker pen are there? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:08 pm 

Trancer,
I AM NOT-going to experiment with maggot farming.Dont fancy getting buckshot pulled outta my butt. :evil:
however, I may offer to modify my informants idea-an old mosquito net in a cone fashion, fastened as a visible camo net will keep the maggots safe from the birdies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:18 am 
Fishaholic

Try Hena...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:42 am 
Fishaholic

would the hena go on the feed or on the maggots...and what colour maggots would it produce? ...
one of the best is the disco maggots...lol...a mixture of bright pink and bright yellow how this is achieved i have no idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

I am not even reading this any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys just making a suggestion, I do not know if Hena will work...may even kill the maggots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:31 pm 
Fishaholic

I can't believe you people are serious about raising maggots. i just tried talking to the missus about it, was very casual and matter of fact. You should have heard the reaction, I had to run and cover my daughter's ears.

Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Well they use Maggots in surgery...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup. point taken.

I think any larvae will work just as well. Break a wasp or a bee hive and you'll get lots. And I think it will be less painful.

A less smelly way is to hang up a large chunk cottage cheese. It attracts the same amount of flies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:44 pm 
Fishaholic

ken i think you should let me talk to your wife, because you are really hooked on these maggots...
tell her you are doing a study in biology... and it is a toss up between rats or flies and you, being a considerate husband thinking only of your wife and family decided that rats are filthy beasts, so feel that the bluebottle would be an altogether cleaner and safer subject
tell her you are quite willing to do your project on the roof unless she thinks you are old enough to have a garden shed...lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:08 am 
Fishaholic

haha I'm probably the only angler who hates maggots! :D
I don't like to use them as baits.
Earth worms are much more cooler ;> :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:22 am 
Fishaholic

Aircut64 wrote:

Yes I agree!
However I thing Toads are juch cooler; I mean they are realy cool 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

mobeensiddiqi wrote:
Aircut64 wrote:

Yes I agree!
However I thing Toads are juch cooler; I mean they are realy cool 8)

toads are really cool to use as bait!
What kind of fish hooks for them in your area anyway ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am 
Fishaholic

I think he means Frogs... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:03 pm 

I once forgot to keep the Goat skin inside house after peeling it from the goat. We had good Biryani that night and then good barbecue the next day and then after 3 days when I remembered about the goat skin and went inspecting all I found was a huge bunch of Maggots. We had to kill them by burning using kerosene(as everyone was afraid that they will crawl inside home).

Now I at least know how to harvest them for my fishing trips :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:59 am 

Guys, i didnt take chances, switched over to Yabbies-am a honarary salty now, no fresh water for 50-60k, sea is only 3 k away-and i use a bicycle pump like device to pump em out of the sand. Keep well in the fridge, come out hale and hearty after hibernation, and are murder on a long shank no.6 or 4 for bream or winter whiting.
But I still wonder how sea fish like bream or whiting will take to maggots.Irresistable, am sure :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:19 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
Guys, i didnt take chances, switched over to Yabbies-am a honarary salty now,

Ain't it more fun :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:23 pm 

yup, the salt water on the braid cuts on my fingers is... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
yup, the salt water on the braid cuts on my fingers is... ;)

That's what it's all about mate, a man's sport, you gotta go home with a few scars :lol: even if it's just paper cuts and a little salt :oops: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 am 

Have a combo which I am naming as 'Happy moments' thats all I get on it. Lets see if a 3 ft rock cod i saw yesterday will come up and say more than hello ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:43 pm 
Fishaholic

All the best Asif, with a 3ft Rock Cod remember to have that drag on full, give no quarter, the only way is up.