[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
MAGGOTS - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:19 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

Post subject: MAGGOTS
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:28 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

IS this what you're Talking About. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Keep some cake crumbs in a box and sprinkle some water over it. keep the box in a cool dark place and wait for six to ten days. Hopefully you will find many mggots crawlling in it. You can use them live or store them in fridge.

It is another matter that your wife is going to kill you if she finds out what you are doing. :twisted:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:12 pm 

Yes , that is one way of doing it, but i suspect you also know the best way of doing it , but are refraining from posting, hint: it has something to do with sheep or goat cud.
it is preferable to use them live , and hook them one by one on to a ultra thin hook keeping them alive, with them wriggling under water will be a sure fire bite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:42 pm 

fly larvae!!some offal meat, mix w/ ordinary cow dung, keep the uncovered box in the garden for a few days.flies will be drawn to it like, well, flies to shit!
check after a few days.the wriggly things are what you want.once the flies lay their eggs, which soon hatch and become wriggly thingies, shut the box with a perforated cover, check in a couple of days.pick out the maggots with tweezers, bag and use 'em or freeze for future use. if you decide to store em in the fridge, dont tell your wife/gf/partner you got the idea from IA :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:39 am 

I Use them for carp & trout, but only live ones, dead just aint that effective. best way too make is too but an piece off fish out side all night, check iff there any eggs on( very small ) then put in a bucket with holes and then wait two or ther days and the miracel has happend you probaly got one off the best bait att all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:45 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Steve. I'll give it a try. And also start looking for a nice PG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:09 am 
Fishaholic

Fish will eat most things that wriggle. In fact, fish will eat most things that fall in the water!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:37 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

So, i have just come in from feeding my fish in the pond, some bluebottle fly maggots, which took me only 5 days to cultivate on a piece of mutton in this delhi heat. My fish went berserk competing for them.. but i have to warn you, that stuff stinks !!!

I am also rearing earthworms now, so i have a regular supply of live food for my fish and also for an unanticipated fishing trip... they are coming along well and hopefully i will have lots of fat juicy ones, who are being fed chicken paste, so they should be quite full of protein. So anyone in Delhi wish to go fishing after a couple of weeks (apparently thats how long they take to start reproducing), let me know....

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:51 pm 
Fishaholic

when an english angler talks of maggots he means bluebottle maggots... clean them in sawdust and then keep them in fine maize-meal and they can last a week in the fridge...lol... but most match anglers in england have their own fridge in the garage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:17 pm 

a local tells me that an easier way is to keep pieces of offal or any ol meat on a stick about a foot above the ground, with a box of saw dust below.The flies lay eggs on the meat, which become maggots, drop down into the bran/sawdust and come out all clesn, no stink.Any inputs on this technique?
i will not rear maggots at home period.PG digs are easier, but wife's handy with guns too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

sounds ok to me eljefe but you need to know that whatever fish like.... birds do to....lol... so perhaps after the flies have done their bit you could place a cardboard box over it...then perhaps your maggots will get to see some water... if you clean them off in a fine sawdust then put them in another container and dust them off with maizemeal they dont smell.......much... cant you perhaps get your wife interested in the scientific process of meat to bluebottle...mmm.... perhaps not, after i showed it to my wife every bluebottle in england was my fault... [smilie=blush.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:48 pm 
Fishaholic

thats the size of magots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 am 
Fishaholic

Divorce talk, this is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:54 am 
Fishaholic

Wife will say I have gone insane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:08 pm 
Fishaholic

hahaha.. this is funny :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

another strange thing about maggots is that you can colour them....
you have to stain the meat that the eggs then the maggots are feeding on then the maggots take on that hue... so you can have white [uncoloured] red yellow bronze... the thing about the bronze is that a great english angler clive smith i think was his name... won lots and lots of matches he was trully a great angler... he only used bronze maggots so soon we were all using them... our hands used to be yellowish brown the next day... then came the news that clive was dying of cancer... and scientists declared that the chemical used to dye the maggots bronze [chrisodene i think] was cancerous... so the dye got rightly banned...and clive did die... so be careful what you use to dye them with or better still leave it to the experts and use just natural maggots...
or you could use a marker pen on the nights soaps were on t.v. ....lol
how many colours of marker pen are there? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:08 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:18 am 
Fishaholic

Try Hena...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:42 am 
Fishaholic

would the hena go on the feed or on the maggots...and what colour maggots would it produce? ...
one of the best is the disco maggots...lol...a mixture of bright pink and bright yellow how this is achieved i have no idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

I am not even reading this any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys just making a suggestion, I do not know if Hena will work...may even kill the maggots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:31 pm 
Fishaholic

I can't believe you people are serious about raising maggots. i just tried talking to the missus about it, was very casual and matter of fact. You should have heard the reaction, I had to run and cover my daughter's ears.

Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Well they use Maggots in surgery...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup. point taken.

I think any larvae will work just as well. Break a wasp or a bee hive and you'll get lots. And I think it will be less painful.

A less smelly way is to hang up a large chunk cottage cheese. It attracts the same amount of flies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:44 pm 
Fishaholic

ken i think you should let me talk to your wife, because you are really hooked on these maggots...
tell her you are doing a study in biology... and it is a toss up between rats or flies and you, being a considerate husband thinking only of your wife and family decided that rats are filthy beasts, so feel that the bluebottle would be an altogether cleaner and safer subject
tell her you are quite willing to do your project on the roof unless she thinks you are old enough to have a garden shed...lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:08 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:22 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:03 pm 

I once forgot to keep the Goat skin inside house after peeling it from the goat. We had good Biryani that night and then good barbecue the next day and then after 3 days when I remembered about the goat skin and went inspecting all I found was a huge bunch of Maggots. We had to kill them by burning using kerosene(as everyone was afraid that they will crawl inside home).

Now I at least know how to harvest them for my fishing trips :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:59 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:23 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 am