->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:00 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: FAO Mighty Marlin.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:12 am 
Fishaholic

Akshay,

Since you have had experience using a Beastmaster uptide rod, can you tell me if it would be okay with a spinning reel (Shimano 6500 Baitrunner in this case) or do I start searching for a suitable multiplier? If it's to be the latter, what would you recommend? Would like something that lasts for years without having to pay silly money.

Some time back Owen had PM'd me about rod spines and I am left wondering what type of reel this rod was really built for.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:19 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

Most rods that are made on a Large Scale really do not check for the Rod spines, it is mostly the people who custom make rods or makers like G-Looms actually check for Rod Spines...I would seriously doubt that anyone would have checked for a rod spine on the uptide, it is far too time consuming for Manufacturers to do this.

You would be lucky if the guides are put correctly over the spine or rather behind it.

Anyway, take heart from the fact that it will not really affect your fishing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:26 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Anyway, take heart from the fact that it will not really affect your fishing....

Thanks, Bobby, that's a relief. Can't have this one snapping on me, the way it did with Owen.

Do you use an uptide rod? What type of reel would you recommend?

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:09 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

No mate, I have not used an uptide rod so I would not want to recommend anything. What does MM have to say?

If you do not hear from him, I will take a closer look at the Rod and recommend something.

I see Owen has recommeded the 6500 Shimano spinning reel, taking a look at the picture of your rod/guides, I cannot help feel that the rod you have is built for an OH reel.

1) The Last Guide is a little too small for a Spinning Reel

2) The rod has far too many guides for a Spinning Reel

This however does not mean that you would not be able to use a Spinning Reel on it, its just that the rod would perform more efficiently with an O/H as far as casting and the curve would go.

:twisted: and for some reason if they did check for the spine, then it would be on the opposite side if it is for and O/H and you use a spinning reel :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:24 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
:twisted: and for some reason if they did check for the spine, then it would be on the opposite side if it is for and O/H and you use a spinning reel :twisted:

Kindly elucidate, old chap. That one had me reaching for the asprin.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

Nothing to worry about, just taking a piss...

The rod's fine, like I said in one of my previous posts, I think it is for an OH reel that is all..

Don’t worry about the Spine etc, you guys back home read too much because have little access to tackle that is where “Real” the problem stems from. A lot of tackle today is over engineered, this drag and that drag, a good smooth drag is a good smooth drag, I have never had a drag fail on me in my entire fishing life and I have never been spooled either. Blue Water Big Game fishing is a different ball game, but that’s a different story.

A lot of rod/reel manufacturers use these gimmicks to sell rods if not people would be happy with what they have they could not sell anything. A lot of it is just marketing. What can you not do with a Carbon Graphite rod that you could with a Boron Rod, and could not with a hollow fibreglass rod (just that it would be a tad heavier) but then with a fibre glass rod I have a lesser chance of getting electrocuted, believe me I have been close…I got them all and they fish equally well..

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, enjoy the Rod you lucky GIT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Rustam,

Nothing to worry about, just taking a piss...

Well next time don't give it such a good shake. :mrgreen:

Now, about this electrocution business....we have some pretty serious high tension stuff over the WASI cottage lake and it's been known for a few Darwin Award aspirants to fish under them, me included. Think I will treat those warnings on the rod with a little more respect here onwards.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Well next time don't give it such a good shake. :mrgreen:
Rustam

Well I thought you like your Martinis Shaken, not stirred 007

A friend of mine told me this story, how far true I do not know (but he is a reliable sort of guy) so here goes..

He was from Goa and had gone fishing, he was just a kid of about 12 – 13 at the time. On his way back it started to rain, long bamboo rod in hand he was, as kids are, playful, and in that context decided to give the overhead power-line a good smack with the rod. Thinking it was Bamboo and was thus insulated proceeded to do so. That it was raining he had forgotten, he was immediately drawn upwards (the power got his entire body to curl up foetus fashion) and the only thing that saved him was the fact that by pulling him upwards the “earthing” was broken and he was then fortunately dropped back to the ground.

He told me that when he awoke his entire body was tightly curled up and it had taken him some time (a very long time) to get all his joints that were “locked” free, he had to literally pry his fingers and wrists open…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Scary stuff, that.

A lot of good fishing is to be had under the lines. Would it be okay if the rod tip was kept pointing down as far as possible or would it still act as a lightning conductor?

Martinis are for poofs. Give me a Laphroaig any bloody day. :wink:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Now Now Bobby don't be scaring the shit out of old Rustam with all this lightning stuff. :lol:
Anway what would a landlubber be doing under the pylons in a downpour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Now Now Bobby don't be scaring the shit out of old Rustam with all this lightning stuff. :lol:
[/img]

It's OK for you guys fishing the rivers, for me I have been in some really scary situations in the sea. Here’s one of them..

Fishing off Carter Road (Rustam will know where this is) about 4 years ago I was with my son who was about 6 at the time. A storm brew up out of no where this was noon time may have been about 1600 – 1630. There was thunder and lightning all over the place with the say splitting and bolts coming down, real Old Testament “wrath of god” stuff. My son was terrified.

I immediately decided to call it a day, I had with me 3 rods, graphite carbon / Boron and they are known to be very dangerous in a situation like this. I had 2 choices.

1) Leave the rods where they were and risk coming back later to pick them up.
2) Cover the rods with something (I thought) and take them with me.

I took the second option, the thing is I could only cover them with my clothes and that meant everything (barring my underwear). So that is exactly what I did. After breaking the rods, I stripped as fast as I could, wrapped the rods in my clothes and proceed to walk out as fast as I could or rather as fast as my son could.

Carter Rd runs along the shore line in Bandra west, As soon as I got out of the sea I looked for the nearest place to shelter and that was a bus-stop that was immediately ahead of me as it was pouring by now. Given the suddenness of this storm there were a lot of people who were caught in it and the only shelter they could find was that same bus-stop. I can only imagine what they must have been thinking, when they saw this almost naked man come walking towards them. I could literally feel the stares and glares. But who cares, I got there safe.

As soon as I was under the sheltered bus-stop I proceed to dress-up as quickly as I could.

For people who are not aware, Carter Rd. is a very popular destination for people to hangout in Bombay, good thing I had been living in Hong Kong for a while so no one would/could recognize me.

Post subject: Re: FAO Mighty Marlin.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Akshay,

Since you have had experience using a Beastmaster uptide rod, can you tell me if it would be okay with a spinning reel (Shimano 6500 Baitrunner in this case) or do I start searching for a suitable multiplier? If it's to be the latter, what would you recommend? Would like something that lasts for years without having to pay silly money.

Some time back Owen had PM'd me about rod spines and I am left wondering what type of reel this rod was really built for.

Thanks.

Rustam

Hi Rustam,

The beastmaster 96610 is a difficult rod to cast with. Its made for a multiplier and is bloody stiff.
I'll tell you what..... the next time Darran and I are heading out for Mahseer you're coming as well. There are 3 abu 7000's, 3 abu 10000's and a calcutta 700. 2 Daiwa uptides, 2 Shimano uptides and a abu uptide rod. You're free to try out all the stuff and make a call based on what you are most comfortable with. You can practice with my abu's till you sort out your casting with a multiplier (should be a good laugh).
There's a lot of time........
Right now I have a mountain of work so am going to be missing for a bit.

Cheers,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Heheheheh!
None at the bus stop would have understood about graphite/boron and lightning. Must have thought you were nuts mate :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes Owen, I think that I was probably wearing my Leather hat as well

So I had me shoes + Undies + Hat :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Anway what would a landlubber be doing under the pylons in a downpour.

The last time we were there, the whole group, including MM, were float fishing for tilapia from right under that very pylon. The pylon footing was submerged in water and it just happened to drizzle every now and then. :roll:

Last edited by Rustam Bana on Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
So I had me shoes + Undies + Hat :oops:

Given the two choices, I'd rather risk electrocution....

:wink: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:48 pm 
Fishaholic

[smilie=puking.gif] <- Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:52 pm 
Fishaholic

:mrgreen:

On a more serious note, if you are caught in a thunder storm out on a lake, would it help to put the rod tip into the water rather than have it sticking up?

Rustam

Post subject: Re: FAO Mighty Marlin.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
The beastmaster 96610 is a difficult rod to cast with. Its made for a multiplier and is bloody stiff.

Well, that's my bonfire rained upon. Any point keeping the 6500 or should I sack it and use the proceeds to get a multiplier? Was thinking on the lines of Abu Garcia 10000. Where's the most economical online place to get one of these?

Quote:
I'll tell you what..... the next time Darran and I are heading out for Mahseer you're coming as well.

Thanks, I am always game for an outing. Just hope it does not clash with my wife being out of station or any other necessary commitments.

Quote:
You can practice with my abu's till you sort out your casting with a multiplier (should be a good laugh).

Yes, I have heard a lot about these birds nests and even seen a few examples. I can give you a laugh a minute if you like - after all it's your reel and line. :mrgreen:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Rustam,
Keep the 6500. The Abu 10000 isn't as smooth as the 7000 when it comes to casting with it. Why are you in such a tearing hurry? See if you like the multipliers and if you do then buy one.
We bought 3 reels off a Malayasian seller on Ebay. Arrived with no probs. All work fine.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Hey Rustam, keep the 6500.

I don't mind but what would I be using it for? Since it's still unused, I thought I would get a better price for it.

Quote:
The Abu 10000 isn't as smooth as the 7000 when it comes to casting with it.

I was just going for the one with the most line capacity but would defer to whatever you chaps suggest.

Quote:
Why are you in such a tearing hurry?

For one, I am always nervous using someone's equipment, more so if I have no prior experience with it. Secondly, I already missed my first season due to lack of tackle and would prefer not to repeat that.

Quote:
See if you like the multipliers and if you do then buy one.

Do you mean those multipliers you mentioned above or are you saying that I could use the 6500 if I don't get the hang of the multipliers?

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Quote:
Hey Rustam, keep the 6500.

Quote:
I don't mind but what would I be using it for? Since it's still unused, I thought I would get a better price for it.

The 6500 is a nice size for malvalli or another place where you will be spinning/baitfishing for Mahseer that aren’t huge. Could also do well in a couple of years if the Mahseer at Forebs’ grow.

Quote:
The Abu 10000 isn't as smooth as the 7000 when it comes to casting with it.

Quote:
I was just going for the one with the most line capacity but would defer to whatever you chaps suggest.

Go for the Abu 10000, you’ll just have to cast more with it so you get comfortable with it, which basically equates to more time fishing. It’ll double as a good reel for the sea once you start seafishing. Mackerel/small tuna/sailfish….. no problem!

Quote:
Why are you in such a tearing hurry?

Quote:
For one, I am always nervous using someone's equipment, more so if I have no prior experience with it. Secondly, I already missed my first season due to lack of tackle and would prefer not to repeat that.

Come on Rustam… I should be the nervous chap not you. Let’s see if we can get to Forbes’ and you can try the reels and make a call for yourself. That way you’ll have time to order a reel before the season starts.

Quote:
See if you like the multipliers and if you do then buy one.

Quote:
Do you mean those multipliers you mentioned above or are you saying that I could use the 6500 if I don't get the hang of the multipliers?

You might not like using a multiplier… so then you’ll have to look for a reel with greater line cap than the 6500.

Rustam

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
The 6500 is a nice size for malvalli or another place where you will be spinning/baitfishing for Mahseer that aren’t huge. Could also do well in a couple of years if the Mahseer at Forebs’ grow.

Fair enough. Thanks. Do you chaps spin with a heavy uptide or something a little lighter?

Quote:
Go for the Abu 10000, you’ll just have to cast more with it so you get comfortable with it, which basically equates to more time fishing. It’ll double as a good reel for the sea once you start seafishing. Mackerel/small tuna/sailfish….. no problem!

That's that then. Thanks. What are the details of this E-bay chappie and what amount would I be looking at?

Quote:
Come on Rustam… I should be the nervous chap not you. Let’s see if we can get to Forbes’ and you can try the reels and make a call for yourself. That way you’ll have time to order a reel before the season starts.

Time permitting may go down this weekend and give Prathap a hand with the patrolling.

Inder, would you like to tag along? If there is no sitting space in the car, you could put your tackle in the car and follow by bike. This is assuming I am able to go.

Quote:
You might not like using a multiplier… so then you’ll have to look for a reel with greater line cap than the 6500.

Assuming I don't get along with a multiplier, would the use of the 6500 damage the rod? Forget casting distance, fighting ability for the time being.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:39 am 
Fishaholic

Don't worry Rustam nothing will happen to the rod. Just do as MM says and try it out with both types of reels. The multiplier takes a little getting used to, and an open field will do very nicely to practice on (except for the fact that some may think you looney) :lol:
It is always good to have a decent spinning reel and a lighter rod than the uptide to spin for Mahseer or big carp. So don't flog the 6500, you will probably want to buy it back in a short while.
There is no way that you can do all types of fishing with one rod and reel, and your collection will probably grow with time, like the gun / knife collection 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Owen. That's precisely what I will do. Here's hoping you find a suitable rod for it in Bombay

One question though...both you and MM have suggested using the 6500 with a relatively lighter rod for smaller mahseer and carp. The 6500 currently has 40lbs. mono on it. I have a 1/4lb spool of 20 lb mono that has been sitting in the cupboard for a few months and was wondering if I should put this on the 6500 and transfer the 40lb line to the multiplier. This based on the assumption that 40 lb line may be a bit of overkill for the fish in question. Infact I am wondering if even 20 lb line is a bit much but considering the rocky bottom it may be adviseable.

Your opinions please.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:49 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam
Yes the 20 lb line should do nicely on the 6500 and matched with a lighter rod, it will make a good spinning outfit for medium to large mahseer.
I have seen an 86 pound mahseer landed on a set up like this (posted the story earlier).
I normally carry 4 rods with me to the river.
An uptide with a 7000 loaded with 40 lbs line.
A spare rod as a substitute for the uptide.
A shimano 8 ft rod with a shakespere 6000 series egg beater loaded with 20 lb line.
And a telescopic very light rod with a tiny spinning reel loaded with 6-10lb line.
This seems to take care of almost every angling situation, though most times just 2 or 3 of the rods get a work out.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Owen.

Quote:
A shimano 8 ft rod with a shakespere 6000 series egg beater loaded with 20 lb line.

Do you have the name and specs of this rod at hand? Do you feel it's suitable for the task (medium to big mahseer, carp, etc.) or would you get something a little different? If so, what? I assume this is the one you picked up from Calcutta?

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,
I think it is a Shimano 115. Rather a vague model, but it has held up pretty well. Landed a fish of 38lbs on it.
Now looking for lighter and longer rods for the lake (around 11 to 12 ft), and maybe that Rapala if i can lay my hands on it next month.
It is a lighter overhead rod than the uptide you have (around 2 - 6 oz cast weight), and is a perfect match for a ABU 6500 multiplier or even a spinning reel like yours i would imagine. (I tried out Bobby Kapoors with his 6500 multiplier). Works like a dream. :-)
Will check out if he has something that will do well with your 6500, but will need to see the reel first.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Will check out if he has something that will do well with your 6500, but will need to see the reel first.

That's not a problem. You can take it to B'bay to actually check the balance, if you like.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:59 pm 
Fishaholic

OK Rustam will do.
I am leaving for Delhi early tomorrow, hope to catch up with Pat. He has an LED headlamp for me bought off Ebay. Will be back late saturday.
Tight lines this week end.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
He has an LED headlamp for me bought off Ebay.

That's very good news. You'll wonder why you did not get one earlier.

Quote:
Tight lines this week end.

Let's hope that's all there is to it....

Safe journey.

Rustam