->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:58 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Guys,

Need a little bit of info from you all.

I have been into Mahseer fishing for the past 2 weekends and there is no luck.

I had tried spinners, plugs and also a bread balls( add some water with bread and made a ball which will last for a hour to two) . But none of the fish taken the bait.Tried with small fish also as a live bait .

The place is a tunnel entry into a dam and can see all the big fellows feeding on the surface of the water in the morning hours like 6.00 am to 9.00 am.Just 10 to 20 ft from where we stood.

Is there any specific time or season for mahseer???? Couple of months back, I had 3 strikes and landed one on the same place.

Pls advise your comments so that I can try next week the new tecniques.

Thanks for your advise.

best regards

R.Saravanan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:38 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Ranger,

Have you noticed what the fish were taking off the surface? Might find a couple of clues there.

I think you might have a problem with timing. Try to hit the spot just as it gets light or just as it gets dark. Use plugs then.

I've noticed that when targeting Mahseer that shoal only the first couple of casts produce fish before the rest of the shoal spooks. If you do land a fish, wait 10 mins before you cast out again.... let things return to normal. Large shoals of Mahseer can be quite frustrating/picky.

If plugs and lures fail, try live bait (small carnatic carp or similar) or even crab. They should provide you with result as they're natural food for Mahseer.

Using bait would need you to ground bait before hand which may be time consuming for you, but it's an option.

Let us know how you get along and post some pictures if you do catch some Mahseer.

Tight lines,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Completely agree with MM. After you catch a fish stop an while, let the dust settle and then cast out again.

Here's another trick that works at times.

Tie on your fav plug and then take a very small piece of tinsle and tie/stick it on the line, 4 to 6 inches above the plug. This makes it seem that the plug is chasing small fish. I think the mahseer attack these 'preoccupied' fish/plugs. This seems to work at Bhakra and other places most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:22 am 
Enlightened

[/quote]

Hi MM,

Thanks for sharing the info and your advise.

I can see that its eating a small fish on the surface. When the small ones jumping out of water, then we can see our fellows on the surface.

I will follow your advise and try next time.

Thanks pal.

Saravanan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:29 am 
Enlightened

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your tecnical support and I will try it next time.

Saravanan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:33 pm 
Fishaholic

rangersaravanan wrote:

I can see that its eating a small fish on the surface. When the small ones jumping out of water, then we can see our fellows on the surface.
[/quote]

Ranger,

If you can see the Mahseer hammering small fish then they definitely are actively are feeding. If the water's really clear try and stay as low down as possible and approach the water with stealth. Think you won't have a problem making your reel scream :wink:

Mighty Marlin