->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:58 pm 
Enlightened

Hi,

I am facing big problem of loosing Lures as they stuck in rocky river bed.

Any lure you talk i have lost many big or small, like Spoons, Minnows, spinners, Hooks, weedless spinnes, etc. mostly they stuck between rock and at last have to break the line..

Please share your experiences, how to prevent this loss.

Anoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:21 pm 
Fishaholic

I was experiencing something similar here in Edinburgh with my lures getting caught in rocks. I spoke to the local tackle shop owner about it. He suggested that I lift the tip of my rod up and retrieve faster before lowering the tip again when i feel the lure getting caught. It works. I guess that the main thing is to keep in touch with the line and lure.

Having said that - the person who suggested this confessed to having lost many lures himself.

How deep is this swim your losing your lures to?
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:41 am 
Enlightened

use floaters for shallow sections or keep the tip of the rod up on sinkers while hitting the shallow section - u shud have a mental picture of the lay of the river when u cast so u know when to raise the rod tip when reeling in.

it all about experience .... loose less plugs.

everybody looses a few ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

Yup! use shallow floating plugs. Forget the big lipped divers even if the float. If you have to use a sinking lure (spinner, spoons or plugs) start your retrieve the moment your lure hits the water. Don't give it a chance to sink deep.

Once you feel a snag stop the retrieve at once (don't try and jerk it free) and let out a bit of line. Then jiggle the rods till you feel it come loose.

Everyone loses lures mate. The best losses are the ones made to fish.

Hamdingra has a pretty neat contraption to get stuck lures out. Do a search and you'll find the thread, I think it had something to do with Goonch. Cabelas makes the same thin but charges you a packet for it. Look them up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:51 pm 
Enlightened

The Swim is not deeper as its rapid area, infect cant predict or have mental picture of the bottom.

For sinkers like spinners, spoons, already water current put immense pressure that rod tip mostly in bend state and over to it retrieve puts more pressure on line. Mostly cant feel whether lures in the fast current or already caught in rocks.

Some days same place we have not loosen any, other day loose, specially the day when we hooked fish, that lure surely have to sacrifice for the gr8 fish we hooked in next few cast.

"Best ones those works looses first."

I will try to practice the suggestions.

Thanks for sharing them.

Rgds
Anoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:14 pm 
Enlightened

Mahaseerken wrote:
Once you feel a snag stop the retrieve at once (don't try and jerk it free) and let out a bit of line. Then jiggle the rods till you feel it come loose.
!

I practice the same technique as suggested by Ken. Just when I feel the snag.. I stop retrieving and wait till I see the lure (provided it’s a floating one) up on the surface.. then start retrieving slowly once again. It works most of the times..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:03 pm 
Fishaholic

whenever your lure stuck, stop retrieving, just wrap your line around a stone (oval shaped 3 or 4 inch in size), release 20, 30 feet line from your real and throw the stone in water just ahead of your lure, most of the time the stone pulls back the lure from rocks. It tried it several times and it works.
However it is only possible if the lure is shucked 20, 30 feet away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:16 am 
Fishaholic

mobeensiddiqi wrote:
whenever your lure stuck, stop retrieving, just wrap your line around a stone (oval shaped 3 or 4 inch in size), release 20, 30 feet line from your real and throw the stone in water just ahead of your lure, most of the time the stone pulls back the lure from rocks. It tried it several times and it works.
However it is only possible if the lure is shucked 20, 30 feet away

Thats really clever. Cheers for that!

Post subject: Lure Retrival
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I was just reading through your posts and it reminded me of a time when I fished the rapids on the Cauvery with plug and crab quite often. As most of this fishing was done in the rapids getting snagged was a common problem we dealt with.
What worked best for us in the rapids when snagged was an empty Bisleri/Aquafina bottle! Once snagged we'd tie the empty bottle on to the main line and send it down stream past the point the lure/hook was snagged. Once sufficiently past the mark we'd strike and the weight of the water/ current on the bottle would result in the lure/hook being dislodged. Simple technique that works well.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:03 am 
Fishaholic

Yahoo Mighty Marlin,

My dad and his friends did the same but with a bit of wood, a dead branch and the likes. They referred to it as 'sending the beaver out'. Problem is that it only works with fast moving water.

Thanks a ton for reminding me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:34 pm 
Fishaholic

the technique mentioned by mighty marlin is pretty effective, but we use half filled bisleri bottle....!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken,

Mahaseerken wrote:

'sending the beaver out'.

Can't help but smile :D

Mahaseerken wrote:
Problem is that it only works with fast moving water.

Yup I guess it would be a really long wait in a slow bit of the river.... but for getting snagged in pools.... we just send the guide out in the coracle to give it a yank from the opposite direction. Usually works!! :lol:

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

Guys,

Actually, "beaver" is very close to the mark.

In the old days in the UK, anglers would carry a device called an "otter". It's a donut-shaped piece of wood with a hinge and an opening. When their rig or lure is stuck downstream, the otter will be attached to the mainline, let out downstream, and the force of the current will do the work.

My 'otter': a piece of wood with a snap swivel attached to it. The snap is used to attach it to the mainline. If it doesnt work, I only lose the wood and snap-swivel: cheap, and not too much pollution!

><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:46 am 
Fishaholic

hahahahahahah

I stand corrected. It is 'Otter' and not Beaver. Freudian slip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:01 am 
Fishaholic

The honest truth is if you really want to catch fish you have got to be prepared to risk and loose lures, because predatory fish are waiting in ambush most of the times and you have got to cast your lures into and around rocks, nooks and crannies to be successfully.

Two good suggestions from the above advise was to try and get a mental layout of the place where you are casting and secondly in shallower places to use floaters or suspend lures.

My 2 cents is to use the rod to maneuver the lure through these difficult places and drag your lure with your rod through these places (not reel, if you have to reel very slowly), use your hands and rod tip to “lift n drag” your lure through these areas of risk, using quality line will also help you feel your lure.

Should your lure get stuck, if it is a suspend or floating lure then do not tug, stop and slack your line and gently get it out, you will be surprised how often you will succeed getting your lure out of this mess.

When your lure is stuck giving the line a "twich" as you would when as you would your do when your kite is stuck helps, wind real tight, tug the line across the reel so that it line does not spill out, twitch and release line in slack, wait for a couple of seconds and wind, repeat a few times before you give up.

Hope it helps.