->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:06 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:57 am 

I have only now started spinning here in goa, in Portugal i always did surfcasting so i have a few questions.
i got a spinning rod Shimano ForceMaster 300XH with a shimano reel Alivio 10000.
thing is i have lost 5 rappalas minows since starting on this adventure.
first combo was 13lb braid with a 20lb Fluro shockleader.
This lasted about 5sec from bite to break, in this case the fluro snaaped on first pull by the fish.
After that i could not find stronger braid here so i changed to 50lb mono all the way, besides the really short cast and horrible feel altogether, i thought this will hold.
Wrong again after 30 sec fight the fish dives to the rocks and the mono is cut like butter second rappala gone.
So i go out and get a 1m long steel cable as shockleader or more like rock protector and change back to the 13lb braid to get some distance.
Same force pull im thinking try and break this one and he does. 3 4 nice runs the steel holds good on the rocks no cutting and a lot of dancing.
This time the THING comes to the surface and i can get a glimpse of the monster rappala eater and its a giant rock cod or Gobro (local name).
But he takes one look at me winks and makes such a dive that the drag cant hold and the braid brakes by the knot.
Well now i know what im dealing with and i feel encouraged so i decided to go shopping for some line.

So i buy from 70 lb and 50lb high quality braid and spool them in to diferent reels to get the right combination of casting distance and strenght.

What am i doing wrong here guys?
I must say with the steel wire atacks are less frequent than on mono but at least i dont loose any more lures.

These MJ and rock cod are huge around here and they run for razor sharp rocks making the fight all the more harder.
All advice and ideas welcome.

This is my Moby Dick a rock fish from a beach in goa......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 am 
Fishaholic

With Large Rock Cod the fight is won or lost at the strike, give no quarter. 50lb mono should be more that sufficient. Keep your drag on full and the only way is up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:16 am 

Bobby wrote:
With Large Rock Cod the fight is won or lost at the strike, give no quarter. 50lb mono should be more that sufficient. Keep your drag on full and the only way is up.

I gave up on the 50Lb mono for 70lb and 50lb braid.
But ill try the no quarters style a go on my next rock visit
tks for the tip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi Duarte, are you sure that the drag on your reel is functioning properly? If it's not super smooth you will get line breaks. 30 lb braid and steel leader should be sufficient.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:46 am 
Fishaholic

Just one question, was it a line break or your knot opened.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:15 pm 

IndianAngler wrote:
Hi Duarte, are you sure that the drag on your reel is functioning properly? If it's not super smooth you will get line breaks. 30 lb braid and steel leader should be sufficient.

Bops

Thing is if the drag is loose the fish will swim for the rocks and thats it, most of the times, i think keeping a short leash with a very strong drag might do it.
Just come back from some night fishing for barramundi and a huge fish got my rappala this was a 10 to 15 kilo it took my line for a spin around the rivermouth just to come right in front of my line of sight with a light take a huge jump of the water and probably winked as he got loose from the hook.
Shame but WOW what a sight. I left empty handed after that one no more bites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:34 pm 

angler_ali wrote:
Just one question, was it a line break or your knot opened.

Regards,

Ali.

I use a palomar knot
it breaks by the knot, i assume by the size of line left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:07 pm 
Fishaholic

How Far from the water edge are you fishing from?if you move closer to the edge you stand a fair chance of not having your line frayed on the rocks,i am not familiar with your tackle but i use a 12 foot rod while fishing around rocks.